Hopper 3 - Please wait refresh in progress

nagol99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
This issue has been going on for about 3 weeks now. My Hopper 3 will show "Please wait refresh in progress" in the bottom right of the screen (no error numbers) and the Hopper 3 plays the last channel that was watched the last time it was powered on. When this happens, I am not able to change channels, or do anything on the Hopper and the Joeys wont connect either. Called support, first time they had me reset the Hopper. Happened again a few days later, called back they had me change the power setting from 3:00 AM to 1:00 AM. Happened again, called back they reset my Hopper 3 to default settings. Happened again yesterday afternoon, they had me reset it and worked. It happened again this morning, called back and they had me unplugs the surge protector it was plugged into saying there sometimes is a glitch in this.

Does anyone on here have any ideas what is causing this issue, is it a bad receiver? They have tested the Hopper and it all passes. Nothing has changed, Hopper is in same location it has been for years, no obstruction on dish.

This issue has been going on for about 3 weeks now. My Hopper 3 will show "Please wait refresh in progress" in the bottom right of the screen (no error numbers) and the Hopper 3 plays the last channel that was watched the last time it was powered on. When this happens, I am not able to change channels, or do anything on the Hopper and the Joeys wont connect either. Called support, first time they had me reset the Hopper. Happened again a few days later, called back they had me change the power setting from 3:00 AM to 1:00 AM. Happened again, called back they reset my Hopper 3 to default settings. Happened again yesterday afternoon, they had me reset it and worked. It happened again this morning, called back and they had me unplugs the surge protector it was plugged into saying there sometimes is a glitch in this.

Does anyone on here have any ideas what is causing this issue, is it a bad receiver? They have tested the Hopper and it all passes. Nothing has changed, Hopper is in same location it has been for years, no obstruction on dish.
Sounds like the Hopper is going bad.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Same thing happened again this morning, so called support again. After having me power off the hopper and waiting till it came back up, the tech support confirmed could watch tv and change channels and such, and said "that appears to have fixed it, is there anything else I can do to help"? I explained that this has been happening very frequently in the past 3 weeks and resetting it each morning is not going to be an option for me. They wanted to reset the hopper and I explained that all had been done on prior calls, and she finally agreed that a tech needed to come out. Have a scheduled service call for today between 12:00--5:00 CST.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Back to square one, hopper was replaced yesterday afternoon and have same error again this morning. Dish support is no help, just tell me to rest it and call back if it happens again.

Is there another number besides the 1-800-333-3474 number to call for this? (I have this number memorized by the way) :(

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Back to square one, hopper was replaced yesterday afternoon and have same error again this morning. Dish support is no help, just tell me to rest it and call back if it happens again.

Is there another number besides the 1-800-333-3474 number to call for this? (I have this number memorized by the way) :(
This definitely isn't the experience we want you having with your equipment, nagol99. The 1-800 number is our only phone Customer Support line. Our department doesn't have the tools to access accounts, but, we do suggest reaching out to our Chat team for assistance with getting this resolved.

You can start a chat here: Direct Chat

-Jessica M.

Is the hopper IP connected? Often times we see issues due to incompatible routers that cause the Hopper to do strange things. Another thing to check is how many volts/amps the Hopper is sending to the LNB, this may cause issues with the signal and cause the Hopper to freeze. Any tech can check this with their SatBuddy. There has been an issue recently with "drift detected" which causes intermittent issues as well, which can be found in settings/diagnostics/status/issues. if drift is detected, a tech is needed. Since the receiver was swapped, I think its one of the mentioned things are more likely the culprit. Most Gateway routers (all in one modem/router) have issues with Hoppers, so that's where I would start. Hope you find the issue!

This definitely isn't the experience we want you having with your equipment, nagol99. The 1-800 number is our only phone Customer Support line. Our department doesn't have the tools to access accounts, but, we do suggest reaching out to our Chat team for assistance with getting this resolved.

You can start a chat here: Direct Chat

-Jessica M.
Glad to see someone's on the ball on this. Thank You Jessica.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The hopper is connected to my router via a cable (An Asus TR-AC66U) that is setup an access point and hard wired to my existing router in my office and has not changed in over a year. There are no errors in the settings/diagnostics/status/issues on the hopper and the dish tech did not check any volts/amps that is being sent to the LNB.

By any chance does anyone watch anything on the Hopper or one of the Joey's during the auto-restart time at night. If the message comes up that the Hopper will be restarted do you want to continue, and they press No, I want to keep watching, the Hopper will refresh at some random time during the day assuming that you may have missed that message as well.

My wife sometimes watches her recorded shows at night and skips the restart and I find it refreshing a couple of times. I just let it do it's thing.

By any chance does anyone watch anything on the Hopper or one of the Joey's during the auto-restart time at night. If the message comes up that the Hopper will be restarted do you want to continue, and they press No, I want to keep watching, the Hopper will refresh at some random time during the day assuming that you may have missed that message as well.
I have done this numerous times on a Joey. It seems to want to reboot at some time around 3AM. If not, it wants to try again around 4AM. I have not actually noticed the Hopper reboot time, but I think it's at some later random time as you suggested above.

No one is watching TV at 3:00AM or 4:00AM here. This has continued to happen twice today. Once at lunch I turned the TV on to check it and it worked for a few minutes, then the Hopper just locked up and I was not able to change channels or anything. I finally was able to get to the diagnostic screen and ran a check but it locked up about 20% thru it. I called and they had me reset it and worked again. I check again this afternoon around 3:00 CST and hopper had the same "refresh in progress, please wait" message. I called back and a tech is coming tomorrow between 8-12 CST.

• Sad
No one is watching TV at 3:00AM or 4:00AM here. This has continued to happen twice today. Once at lunch I turned the TV on to check it and it worked for a few minutes, then the Hopper just locked up and I was not able to change channels or anything. I finally was able to get to the diagnostic screen and ran a check but it locked up about 20% thru it. I called and they had me reset it and worked again. I check again this afternoon around 3:00 CST and hopper had the same "refresh in progress, please wait" message. I called back and a tech is coming tomorrow between 8-12 CST.
Tech that came out on Saturday morning (same one that replaced the hopper on Wednesday) says he thinks the OTA adapter I have that I got from AirTV is causing the issue. I have unplugged the OTA for now and so far the hopper has been working fine, will keep monitoring it for a few days. He did notice the OTA on Wednesday and took and pic of it and sent it to his coworkers but they said it should be ok.

Well.. going on week 4 and my issues is still not resolved. Hopper was unresponsive yesterday morning, and I was busy with work so I just reset it without calling dish. Wife went to watch TV last night, around 9:00 PM CST and had same issues, so she reset it also. Again this morning, the Joey's showed "please wait, refresh in progress" and there was no picture on the hopper. Called support, he had me unplug hopper and plug it back in. After it came back up and we confirmed hopper and joeys were working he asked me if hopper 3 was plugged into a power strip or surge protector. I have it plugged into a Monster brand surge protector that I have been using for at least 4 years. He tells me that Dish recommends to have hopper plugged directly into the wall for power. I find this odd, because the tech that came out and replaced the hopper last week had a surge protector with him, but he told me the one I had was much better than that one. I'm at a loss as to what to do, other that keep calling back every time this happens, but it's getting frustrating to have to deal with this almost every day now!

I'm at a loss as to what to do, other that keep calling back every time this happens, but it's getting frustrating to have to deal with this almost every day now!
That is very frustrating. Did you try eliminating the surge protector? If you did, does it continue working for longer that it did on the surge protector?

I have the hopper plugged directly into the wall now. I will continue to monitor it and see if this happens again. Just odd to me that Dish would recommend to bypass the surge protector and plug this directly into an outlet.

I have the hopper plugged directly into the wall now. I will continue to monitor it and see if this happens again. Just odd to me that Dish would recommend to bypass the surge protector and plug this directly into an outlet.
Strange, I have my Hopper 3 plugged into a large MonsterPower surge protector (along with a lot of other gear) and do not have the issues that you are having. None of the techs that has ever come (including installing the H3) ever told me I couldn't plug the Hopper into my surge protector.

a Monster brand surge protector that I have been using for at least 4 years.
Suggestion:
I have read many times that even best surge protectors should be replaced eventually. I don't know if this claim was made up by sleazy manufacturers to sell more or surges eventually weaken the surge protectors. If you have another surge protector can you use it with Hopper and other equipment? I replace my surge protectors every 4-5 years, and use the old ones in the garage, attic, etc.

Reactions: pattykay
I will try with the Hopper plugged directly into the outlet for a few days and see how it reacts. The tech that came out again Saturday morning plugged some type of tester into my surge protector and said it was fine to him. I know equipment needs to be replaced after time, and I know I have had cheaper power strips where a single outlet will go back and quit working when the rest are still ok.