Hopper 3 Remote Control

The new 52.0 remote control might be great when they add the voice control feature to it, but for now it stored securely in my coffee table drawer and hasn't been touched for a few weeks, nor will it be. I have the Harmony 650 and it works exactly as I programmed it , not as the Dish engineers figured would be best for their millions of diverse users.
I doubt the 52 remote will ever have voice control. The 50, on the other hand.....

May have been mentioned, ever try a swap while using PIP? It's a five step process! Is there a shortcut that anyone knows?

EDIT: Oh, the "INPUT" button on the side.

Last edited:
The new 52.0 remote control might be great when they add the voice control feature to it, but for now it stored securely in my coffee table drawer and hasn't been touched for a few weeks, nor will it be. I have the Harmony 650 and it works exactly as I programmed it , not as the Dish engineers figured would be best for their millions of diverse users.
Nothing I have read leads me to believe that the 52.0 remote will some day grow up to be a "voice remote" - that is the 50.0 remote. I believe there was/is a picture of it on Dish's website. It appears to be smaller with even fewer buttons than the 52.0

Can someone point me to how to set up the 40.0 remote for the H3 - Thank you!
IF you're using the 52.0 remote to add the 40.0, you press "home" 3 times which takes you to the "diagnostics" (and remotes) screen - from there you should only need to press the "sat" button on the 40.0 and wait for the tones. At that point it's paired with the Hopper.

Reactions: Shoot To Thrill
Thanks for all the information. Installer took back all my 21.0 remotes so we are attempting to work with the 520. which the spousal unit hates. She doesn't like iPhones either. I found an old 21.0 remote #2 UFH, which I modified to #1, IR and tried to pair with Hopper 3 sling, but did not work. Guess the 21.0 was a truly malfunctioning unit. Dug deeper into the junk drawer and found an 6.3 silver remote. Hit Home 3x, hit Sat on the 6.3 and bingo! the old many buttoned remote works on the new hopper 3 sling. Then I called Dish Tech support and whined & complained about the installer taking my old 21.0 remotes..tech support felt sorry for me and the wife, so they are sending us a 40.0 remote at no charge. Thanks Dish!

The great thing is that the new remote is simple for the average customer but can still do everything the old one can do. For those of us that need all the buttons we can still use the old remote or a Harmony remote. Works out well.

Really? Where are the PiP (Picture in Picture) buttons?

Many people learn to play 88-key pianos. I prefer more buttons, dedicated to specific functions.

Or give me an illustrated guide: you used to press this button, now you press and hold that button instead...

Really? Where are the PiP (Picture in Picture) buttons?

Many people learn to play 88-key pianos. I prefer more buttons, dedicated to specific functions.

Or give me an illustrated guide: you used to press this button, now you press and hold that button instead...

Hit the options button if you want PIP. It's not hard. Regular customers do not want more buttons, trust me. If you took phone calls everyday with customers telling you their dish doesn't work because they pressed the wrong button on their remote you would understand more. The great thing is that you have the option to use different remotes.

Hit the options button if you want PIP. It's not hard. Regular customers do not want more buttons, trust me. If you took phone calls everyday with customers telling you their dish doesn't work because they pressed the wrong button on their remote you would understand more. The great thing is that you have the option to use different remotes.
Just remember, the 99% who like the 40 don't call tech support. ;)

I could not get my 40 remote to work, can't stand either new remote, they left me with both the Clickable Touchpad is less than useless other than the voice search. The pad is so touchy trying to do anything results in it reading a touch when trying to slide/scroll, the backlitght is a total joke and very feeble.

I have had my Hopper 3 and 4K Joey for a couple of weeks now and like, the large number of tuners and have noticed that it seems to do a better job of starting and stopping shows, I used to always start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late in order to get the end of a show like Survivor or Food Network Star to find out who won/lost/went home.

I just am at a total loss on the remote, did they not test it at all, did people just lie.
I have turned offed my TV as often I have chosen DVR in the dark, the dual function of many buttons does not work well at all the skip/FF combo always seems confused and trying to go to the next day vs next hour is impossible.

I would like to hear from anyone that really likes the new remote, and why?

I've got a Hopper 3 and two 4K Joeys. The Joeys came with the 40 remotes, the Hopper with the new 52 remote. Didn't like the 52, got Dish to send me a voice remote, the CSR ended up sending me 3 Voice remotes (long story.)

After thinking the voice remote was cool, at first, and having fun playing with voice commands, I realized it's just easier to push the single buttons on the 40, so I've ordered a 40 for my H3. I've got 3 brand new 50/voice remotes that will go in a box unless someone wants them.

I could not get my 40 remote to work, can't stand either new remote, they left me with both the Clickable Touchpad is less than useless other than the voice search. The pad is so touchy trying to do anything results in it reading a touch when trying to slide/scroll, the backlitght is a total joke and very feeble.

I have had my Hopper 3 and 4K Joey for a couple of weeks now and like, the large number of tuners and have noticed that it seems to do a better job of starting and stopping shows, I used to always start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late in order to get the end of a show like Survivor or Food Network Star to find out who won/lost/went home.

I just am at a total loss on the remote, did they not test it at all, did people just lie.
I have turned offed my TV as often I have chosen DVR in the dark, the dual function of many buttons does not work well at all the skip/FF combo always seems confused and trying to go to the next day vs next hour is impossible.

I would like to hear from anyone that really likes the new remote, and why?
Did you pair your 40 remote with the receiver? The 40 remote works with all Hoppers and Joeys. If your 40 remote is not paired with another receiver, go to the Diagnostic Screen. You can do this by pressing Home 3 times on your 50 remote. Now, with your 40 remote, press Sat one time. The 40 remote will beep a few times and you will see it pair up on your Diagnostics screen....

I will try it again but had no luck at all, went to system info and even unpaired the crappy remotes. No luck at all, I have a brand new one that came with the wireless joey i am going to try. My wife is so upset yesterday she said get rid of the H3 if I can't get the 40 remote to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)