Hopper 3 Remote Control

All I wanted in a new remote was a backlight, not worth $49 each for the 3 late night like to watch a lot of remotes I will need just to get that feature. Hopefully us "early adopters" will get a discounted deal otherwise the old remotes work just fine for me.
The lack of backlighting on Dish remotes has always been baffling to me. I had a nice one with DTV - probably 10 years ago. I like watching a lot of late night TV without lights so it's nice to see what buttons I'm pushing. I'm not sure that Logitech makes a remote that is NOT backlit. But you are right - $49 for it?? I'll have to talk myself into that .....

I ended up swapping my new 52.0 remote for one of the older 40.0's that came with a WJ in another room. Too many wrong keypresses with too few buttons.

Reactions: dare2be
I ended up swapping my new 52.0 remote for one of the older 40.0's that came with a WJ in another room. Too many wrong keypresses with too few buttons.
How does one pair the 40.0 remote to the H3? I tried looking through the entire H3 including the diagnostics menu and couldn't figure it out as it says to pair, one has to press and release the sat button on the remote. What I'm trying to do is restore the timers that were backed up to the 52.0 remote, it's really just the autotune to bring the box out of standby after the nightly update check. The other timers I can manually do.

same idea with new remote - press home twice - screen should appear where you can add remotes - it says so over on far right of screen

same idea with new remote - press home twice - screen should appear where you can add remotes - it says so over on far right of screen
That was what I tried, it lists the current remote with the Locate and Unpair buttons and right above that, it says To pair a DISH remote control, press and release its SAT button which I did but nothing happened.

That was what I tried, it lists the current remote with the Locate and Unpair buttons and right above that, it says To pair a DISH remote control, press and release its SAT button which I did but nothing happened.
did you "unpair" the 40.0 remote from wherever it was last? If not, that is a few more steps.....

did you "unpair" the 40.0 remote from wherever it was last? If not, that is a few more steps.....
No because I still need the 40.0 remote to control the Hopper 2k that I am transferring recordings to EHD with. I already manually redid the autotune timer, not sure if the H3 still does the shutoff at 1:00AM daily or not. I do wonder if I restore the settings from the 40.0 to the H3 which backed up the H2K's settings, will it mess up the H3's other settings as I only need to restore the timers but it seems like it will restore all settings which may not even be compatible. I was trying to see the timers on the H2K but apparently, the timers is now blank without a satellite connection and the date/time is wrong too probably because of the lack of a satellite connection since it's on the H3 now. With the 52.0 remote, is there a shortcut to get to the Display Format without having hit Option -> 6 and then choose the format?

hmm... mine worked with 1 - after I went back and unpaired from Joey
I'm saying to get to the screen to pair remotes on the H3 you have to hit the home button 3 times. Once takes you home twice takes you to menu and the third to the diagnostics screen.

You would have to unpair the remote for the other hopper to pair it to the H3. But once you're done you can repair with the the old hopper.

I'm saying to get to the screen to pair remotes on the H3 you have to hit the home button 3 times. Once takes you home twice takes you to menu and the third to the diagnostics screen.

You would have to unpair the remote for the other hopper to pair it to the H3. But once you're done you can repair with the the old hopper.
Ah.. gotcha - he's been to the right menu but it wouldn't pair but now it sounds like the remote is still paired with another Hopper. Thanks for helping.

Thanks, maybe I should just grab one of the extra 40.0 remotes DISH has been sending me automatically once a year for the last 3 years and use it for the H3 instead and leave the old 40.0 remote alone for now. Thanks everyone!

What I actually want to know is, with the 52.0 remote, is there a quicker way to get to the Display Format screen without hitting Options -> 6 and then selecting the Display Format?

Thanks, maybe I should just grab one of the extra 40.0 remotes DISH has been sending me automatically once a year for the last 3 years and use it for the H3 instead and leave the old 40.0 remote alone for now. Thanks everyone!

What I actually want to know is, with the 52.0 remote, is there a quicker way to get to the Display Format screen without hitting Options -> 6 and then selecting the Display Format?

Not that I know of. I think that a lot of the functions that are generally not used everyday are hidden away a little more. It's nice that we can still use the 40.0 remote for all the buttons we still like to use.

Not that I know of. I think that a lot of the functions that are generally not used everyday are hidden away a little more. It's nice that we can still use the 40.0 remote for all the buttons we still like to use.

Hmm, I would think that with the H3, most people would have LCD/LED/OLED screens, the black would cause burn-in on the screen so it would be a regularly used function to stretch the picture so it would cover as much of the screen as possible.

Hmm, I would think that with the H3, most people would have LCD/LED/OLED screens, the black would cause burn-in on the screen so it would be a regularly used function to stretch the picture so it would cover as much of the screen as possible.

Yes, but Dish wants a simple remote for the majority of their customers. Hopefully the customer would rarely have to change the format settings. I actually like it because I would have custoemrs calling me a lot of times with format issues because they accidentally pressed the button. Customers would press the wrong buttons on the 40.0 remote a lot and get things they weren't familiar with, this is why they wanted a simple remote.

Reactions: Almighty1
Personally I think that the 40.0 remote functions were more obvious or "self-explanatory" especially for the "newbie" than with the new 52.0. Too many functions that were straight-forward are now more hidden. But, the new remote definitely feels better in the hand. And, accidental "mis-fires" are less likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts