Hopper 3 Remote Control

I wouldn't be surprised if the same people who found "too many buttons confusing" are now finding too many button presses with fewer keys even more confusing!

Very possible and wouldn't surprise me. Overall it seems like a decent remote though.

I tried the new H3 remote for a few days but just went back to using the old one. I like the record, skip buttons,etc. 90 % at least of our viewing is network recordings.

Reactions: xfoneguy
Very possible and wouldn't surprise me. Overall it seems like a decent remote though.
I'm not thrilled about some of the missing buttons (I turn CC on and off a lot, so this is kind of a pain) but I love the feel of it and the fact that the new, flat buttons are harder to "mis-press".

I like the new remote. I like the Vol + and - and the Channel + and - each being one key that you push the top or bottom. The two small buttons for each of those functions on the top of the older remote were not as convenient. I also like the feel of the select and the arrows buttons. They just seem to feel natural to my hand.

Reactions: Ngamtns706
I tried the new H3 remote for a few days but just went back to using the old one. I like the record, skip buttons,etc. 90 % at least of our viewing is network recordings.

Actually, if you think it out, Dish has gone to the Apple KISS method for the remote. Instead of 2 buttons for Play and Pause, there is now one button (press Play to play, press again to pause) why 2 buttons?

Same as for skip forward, back, skip backward, Rewind.
Short tap for skip forward, long hold for fast forward, Play to start playing from there.
Those functions work exactly like the remote on the Apple TV does. Those functions were redundant so they combined them, good idea.

They moved the TV/SAT, etc buttons to the side. Less buttons on the front and removing the other buttons lets the remote become smaller.
Another good idea.

I just wish they would have put the Red,Green,Yellow,Blue buttons maybe on the other side or further down the left side. The Options key is fine for things that aren't used very much like setting favorites, reviewing TV activity on the other devices, PIP, etc. But going from the 20.0 remote where you can just press Blue to delete etc and the new remote really takes away from the user remote experience. So right now for my H3 I have 50.0, 20.0 and Harmony One and they all work differently when you want to use the color options. Nice thing is that the H3 recognizes it and puts up the right hint list.

But for me, I just punted. Every single command is available and can be programmed into my Harmony One so I just use it just like I did with the HWS. Muscle memory means I don't have to look down at the remote to find the right button and also all the buttons are back lite. Plus for a power on, I just programmed a sequence to do wait 1 sec, issue a Live - Cancel and gone is the dumb main menu on power on.

The only other thing I can suggest or think of on the new remote is that they really used a grayish white on the labels instead of a bright white making looking for a button almost impossible if not in direct sunlight or under a lamp. Could have been nice to back light the buttons which would time out. Now that the new remote has AA cells instead of AAA cells, would definitely support LED back lighting. Right now finding the right button to press in darker situations is more akin to braille feeling around for the shapes.

Are you able to backup timers on the new 52.0 remote?

Yes, just go to the diagnostics screen (convoluted) Home/Menu/Settings/Diagnostics/Tools where you will find a tile to back the remote and H3.

What I do like on that screen from Joey's is that if you are in another room and the H3 starts acting up you can issue a restart for the H3 from any Joey on that screen as well.

Reactions: mackie99
It would be interesting to compile a list of all the functions that while formerly needing 1 button now need 2 or more to complete. For instance, I use "CC" a lot - the green button was great for that - on and off with one quick press. While it's true that it isn't a huge deal, it's still less than convenient. A trade off obviously: a smaller, more compact remote with fewer keys in exchange for the need to make multiple key-presses for many functions. Kind of a love/hate relationship :coco

Actually, if you think it out, Dish has gone to the Apple KISS method for the remote. Instead of 2 buttons for Play and Pause, there is now one button (press Play to play, press again to pause) why 2 buttons?

Short tap for skip forward, long hold for fast forward, Play to start playing from there.
Those functions work exactly like the remote on the Apple TV does. Those functions were redundant so they combined them, good idea.

They moved the TV/SAT, etc buttons to the side. Less buttons on the front and removing the other buttons lets the remote become smaller.
Another good idea.

I just wish they would have put the Red,Green,Yellow,Blue buttons maybe on the other side or further down the left side. The Options key is fine for things that aren't used very much like setting favorites, reviewing TV activity on the other devices, PIP, etc. But going from the 20.0 remote where you can just press Blue to delete etc and the new remote really takes away from the user remote experience. So right now for my H3 I have 50.0, 20.0 and Harmony One and they all work differently when you want to use the color options. Nice thing is that the H3 recognizes it and puts up the right hint list.

But for me, I just punted. Every single command is available and can be programmed into my Harmony One so I just use it just like I did with the HWS. Muscle memory means I don't have to look down at the remote to find the right button and also all the buttons are back lite. Plus for a power on, I just programmed a sequence to do wait 1 sec, issue a Live - Cancel and gone is the dumb main menu on power on.

The only other thing I can suggest or think of on the new remote is that they really used a grayish white on the labels instead of a bright white making looking for a button almost impossible if not in direct sunlight or under a lamp. Could have been nice to back light the buttons which would time out. Now that the new remote has AA cells instead of AAA cells, would definitely support LED back lighting. Right now finding the right button to press in darker situations is more akin to braille feeling around for the shapes.
putting the color buttons on the side would have been a GREAT idea.

Reactions: DWS44

Another good idea.

And I think I would have been more enthusiastic about the new remote if the buttons were back-lit.

Reactions: peggy97850
Sounds like Dish simplified the remote but complicated the usefulness of it.
I think the 40.0 remote is a very utilitarian balance of buttons and functionality.
If I ever decide to go to the H3 I'll be keepiing all my 40.0 remotes and leave the newer ones in the box.

Totally agree; & interestingly, D* did the SAME thing with their new "simplified" remotes on their latest receivers...which many, existing subs hate as well.
And, I think in both E* & D* cases, what it comes down to is:
-New customers, who have not used previous incarnations of remotes, will probably not notice the diff much
-Existing "mainstream" customers, for the most part, will NOT like these new, simplified remotes; people hate change as-is & taking away simple, one-touch functionality just makes it worse.

In the case of D*, I was on-hand for some folks getting upgrades; the D* techs generally carry BOTH kinds of remotes in their trucks & are packaged separately from the receivers in bulk.
If an existing customer has the older, white remotes, they WILL provide new, same, white, remotes to those same subs, so they don't have to go through a new learning curve. (except if a customer HAS to have RF remote capability on the newer receivers, they have NO choice but to go with the new, simple remotes...but that's probably more of a minority of subs actually needing RF)
New subs get the newer remotes, unless they specifically ask for the older ones.

Sounds like Dish simplified the remote but complicated the usefulness of it.

I think the 40.0 remote is a very utilitarian balance of buttons and functionality.

If I ever decide to go to the H3 I'll be keepiing all my 40.0 remotes and leave the newer ones in the box.

The great thing is that the new remote is simple for the average customer but can still do everything the old one can do. For those of us that need all the buttons we can still use the old remote or a Harmony remote. Works out well.

The great thing is that the new remote is simple for the average customer but can still do everything the old one can do. For those of us that need all the buttons we can still use the old remote or a Harmony remote. Works out well.
Very true - I think I'm definitely in the "more buttons the better" camp- I find myself falling back on the old one constantly. Though the idea of a voice control remote intrigues me, I'm wondering now.....

All I wanted in a new remote was a backlight, not worth $49 each for the 3 remotes I will need just to get that feature. Hopefully us "early adopters" will get a discounted deal otherwise the old remotes work just fine for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)