Hopper 3 software U510

The problem with it not connecting is a power setting in the firmware itself. The Hopper powers down the USB port when inactive for x minutes to save power. It’s a feature used in windows by default. I always see people asking why their EHD isn’t working without re-plugging it in everytime they want to use it. With windows the setting can be changed. Unfortunately with the Hopper the end user can’t do anything about it.
I have not had issues with my ehd and I have been thinking I was just really lucky. However I think your explanation is spot on. I have a Seagate (pre WD buyout) and I hooked it up to my computer first and turned off the power management so it would stay on all the time. Then plugged into Hopper. I have not any problems from day one on original Hopper when it was first released. I am into the Hopper 3 and still working.

If it is possible you could transfer content to Hopper, hook up ehd to computer (you will have to format drive) then turn off power management (assuming your ehd has it, might want to check with manufacturer first). Then hook back to Hopper and let it format to Hopper, then transfer back to ehd. Long drawn out proceeds, but might be worth trying.

I have not had issues with my ehd and I have been thinking I was just really lucky. However I think your explanation is spot on. I have a Seagate (pre WD buyout) and I hooked it up to my computer first and turned off the power management so it would stay on all the time. Then plugged into Hopper. I have not any problems from day one on original Hopper when it was first released. I am into the Hopper 3 and still working.

If it is possible you could transfer content to Hopper, hook up ehd to computer (you will have to format drive) then turn off power management (assuming your ehd has it, might want to check with manufacturer first). Then hook back to Hopper and let it format to Hopper, then transfer back to ehd. Long drawn out proceeds, but might be worth trying.

I did that with two of my Western Digital Drives. I used the WD Drive Essentials Program on my windows PC to disable sleep mode on the drives. It did not fix the problem where the external drive requires two attempts to play content on the drive. The Hopper3 controls the external drive. The drive goes into a rest state after so long. The first time you attempt to play a program on the external drive it spins up. However the USB port does not communicate with the drive so your Hopper3 sits there with a blank screen. The second attempt is then successful. Again external drives had no problems with the old interface. When they changed the Hopper Family to the new Carbon interface is when the problem occurred. I am convinced that it is a timing issue with the USB port.

I've tried several different EHD brands and types, have turned off sleep modes, and in every case my EHD works fine all day and night, but the next morning it is gone from the recordings list and requires a red button reset to get it back. Hopper 3 with latest update. It never disappears until sometime in the wee hours of the morning, I assume when the Hopper 3 does it's reset or whatever it does in the very early (e.g. 2 or 3 am) hours.

I've tried several different EHD brands and types, have turned off sleep modes, and in every case my EHD works fine all day and night, but the next morning it is gone from the recordings list and requires a red button reset to get it back. Hopper 3 with latest update. It never disappears until sometime in the wee hours of the morning, I assume when the Hopper 3 does it's reset or whatever it does in the very early (e.g. 2 or 3 am) hours.

I have used four Western Digital Mybook powered drives connected to my two Hopper3 receivers. My newest drive is a Western Digital Raid 2 drive to protect my content. My oldest Mybook drive does not have SMART capability that can report the health of the drive. I noticed that my one Hopper3 receiver would do an external hard drive test on the old drive each night. The test would take 2.5-3 hours so my Hopper3 would be tied up from 2 AM till 5 AM. I decided to stop using that drive. I have never lost my other 3 drives from my DVR lists.
Of course I still need 2 attempts to play content on the external drives.

I have used four Western Digital Mybook powered drives connected to my two Hopper3 receivers. My newest drive is a Western Digital Raid 2 drive to protect my content. My oldest Mybook drive does not have SMART capability that can report the health of the drive. I noticed that my one Hopper3 receiver would do an external hard drive test on the old drive each night. The test would take 2.5-3 hours so my Hopper3 would be tied up from 2 AM till 5 AM. I decided to stop using that drive. I have never lost my other 3 drives from my DVR lists.
Of course I still need 2 attempts to play content on the external drives.

Yeah, I could live with the two attempts to play (that is common enough I can't believe Dish can't recreate it and fix it.) But I've tried a WD 2T External Desktop MyBook (purchased about 1.5 years ago) as well as a Seagate externally powered 2T drive, a Seagate USB EHD plugged into an externally powered hub, a WD USB EHD plugged into an externally powered hub, and more. I've also tried moving the connection between the USB 2 and USB 3 slots. I've made sure all drives had any sleep functions turned off.

This only happens sometime between when we turn the TV off at night and when we get up the next morning, which can be as late as 1:30 am and getting up as early as 5:30 am. It never happens, once I get it back in the morning, during the day or evening. It seems to be something going on like what you're saying, in that 2 am to 5 am time slot while we're sleeping.

I had my EHD disappear a day after the update, Rebooted the H3 several times, cycled power on the drive and nothing. Pulled the drive out of the enclosed caddy and put it in an open quick swap I had. Shazam! Everything's back. I don't normally believe in coincidence but there it was.

Ideally I'd like the EHD to be just as reliable as the internal drive. It would simply play normally. The movie descriptions would not be cut off.

Either they don't spend much time on coding for it, or there are underlying hardware issues they can't overcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts