Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

Just thinking here...

If there's an issue with the HD copy protection handshake, will resolution automatically be restricted?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

To be fair most people seem to say they have much better PQ with the Hopper 3 but I have tried two Hopper 3 boxes now with the same terrible picture.

To be fair most people seem to say they have much better PQ with the Hopper 3 but I have tried two Hopper 3 boxes now with the same terrible picture.

Which is an indicator that something is wrong in your particular setup. Too bad you can't "pause" a post for a while. Too much speculation going on. You've got a service appointment, that will hopefully fix your problem and then you can let us all know what the problem was.

Which is an indicator that something is wrong in your particular setup. Too bad you can't "pause" a post for a while. Too much speculation going on. You've got a service appointment, that will hopefully fix your problem and then you can let us all know what the problem was.

I would tend to agree but nothing in my setup has changed other than the LNB, switch and Hopper 3.

I just don't know what the issue is. My Hopper 2 with Sling picture looked fine. I have changed nothing in my setup other than bypassing my receiver because of the 4K Hopper 3 and the picture looks like it is stuck in 480i mode even though it is set to 4K, 1080p, 1080i on the Hopper 3.

I may have missed, but did you use the remote pointer up at the top to get the pulldown to show incoming resolution on the LG? My 9500 sads 1080i 16:9 on the H3 and it looks normal.

I have to say I can see ZERO difference between my hopper 3 and HWS and do not really know why you should see any difference.

I have to say I can see ZERO difference between my hopper 3 and HWS and do not really know why you should see any difference.

I don't think there is a difference at all. I believe it has more to do with all the menus and the guide look so much better.

Tech came out this morning and pretty much told me to go back to a Hopper 2 until they fix the issue with a software update. So basically did nothing.

Tech came out this morning and pretty much told me to go back to a Hopper 2 until they fix the issue with a software update. So basically did nothing.

Boy that's a pee poor suggestion! Since you are almost the sole person reporting worse video, I can't imagine what software upgrade would fix it. Sounds to me like the tech just has no clue.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: satjay and DWS44
Sounds like the TVs main board is bad or is not compatible with the new Hopper 3 that can do 4K. To get full HD the HDCP Copy protection needs to pass, else the TV drops.
I reproduced the issue yesterday on a generic cheap TV