Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

Well, if the problem lies in the equipment/wiring from the dish to the Hopper, then all joeys would experience it as well.

All my TV's Joeys included look worse than before but the issue is far easier to see on my 65 inch living room TV.

Have you actually tried Component cables? Results if so?
Dan
What would that prove? Component cables are restricted to 1080i and no HDCP.

If the Joeys looked fine, I would suspect the HDMI input of the TV. It cannot be an LNB, it cannot be a fitting, it cannot be a coaxial cable, it cannot be an HDMI cable. Its either 2 bad H3s in a row or the Bermuda Triangle. Everything leads to a bad TV (or HDMI input of the TV) but the bad pictures on the Joeys knocks that out. I am flat stumped (and I have the 55EF9500)

What would that prove? Component cables are restricted to 1080i and no HDCP.

If the Joeys looked fine, I would suspect the HDMI input of the TV. It cannot be an LNB, it cannot be a fitting, it cannot be a coaxial cable, it cannot be an HDMI cable. Its either 2 bad H3s in a row or the Bermuda Triangle. Everything leads to a bad TV (or HDMI input of the TV) but the bad pictures on the Joeys knocks that out. I am flat stumped (and I have the 55EF9500)

Component does support 1080P wherever you read that it does not is wrong.

Connecting by component could certainly tell us something. If picture is what it is supposed to be that narrows it to the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV, and even a stronger reason to believe it is a handshake issue. Trying the receiver on another TV also would give some insight.
This may not be unrelated to the Hopper 3 causing an apparent false HDR on some reported OLED LG tvs.

Component does support 1080P wherever you read that it does not is wrong.

Connecting by component could certainly tell us something. If picture is what it is supposed to be that narrows it to the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV, and even a stronger reason to believe it is a handshake issue. Trying the receiver on another TV also would give some insight.
This may not be unrelated to the Hopper 3 causing an apparent false HDR on some reported OLED LG tvs.
As I said, everything points to a bad handshake of the HDMI EXCEPT that his Joeys are also suffering from poor picture. That's a mighty big exception.

BTW, I prefer the 'false' HDR picture and will reboot my Hopper to restore it if it loses it after the nightly DL.

If he doesn't want to try component that is certainly his call. You don't know what is wrong (nor do I) so not trying something makes no sense. Far far more seemingly unrelated things have turned out to be related, but hey...Has he tried the joeys with the Hopper 3 not connected to his TV?
Also don't have a USB thumb drive inserted in the TV.

Reactions: navychop
If he doesn't want to try component that is certainly his call. You don't know what is wrong (nor do I) so not trying something makes no sense. Far far more seemingly unrelated things have turned out to be related, but hey...Has he tried the joeys with the Hopper 3 not connected to his TV?

I have tried component and the picture is just as bad no change. Joeys won't work without the Hopper installed unless you just mean the HDMI cables not connected if that's the case the Joeys still look terrible. The smaller TV's look ok but my second 4k TV is 49 inches and looks very bad with a Joey. My next step will be to move the Hopper to my other 4k TV and a Joey to my 65EF9500 but I am not sure it will change anything.

How does the USB Drive effect my other inputs?

Agree, well put. Its what I have been trying to say.

After reading all this, it does appear to be a HDCP handshaking issue. You said everything was the same except for the Hopper and the LNB, but a big difference is no more AVR in the middle, which that receiver may have been doing the proper handshake with your old Hopper for the signal to the TV. Perhaps the TV has no problem handshaking on 4K content but is having an issue with HD. You say the AVR can't handle the Hopper3 4K signal, but could you at least hook it up temporarily to see if the AVR solves the HD problem?

How does the USB Drive effect my other inputs?

After a software update only some TIVO users had a problem with the screen blacking out for a second every now and then. By chance someone unplugged their USB drive and problem solved. It's the exact example of what I am saying, when the problem is not obviously solved you try suggestions, not say it won't fix it.... It's silly to me not to try component instead of HDMI, or at least unplug the Hopper from the TV and see if it affects the PQ of the Joeys if it's true they also show the same problem.

I didn't see that, then obviously not a handshake issue. If he has not then I will agree it isn't a handshake issue if they unplug the Hopper from HDMI and see how the Joeys look... I am suspicious that we already know there is a something going on with LG and the Hopper concerning the handshake. I realize you wouldn't think it would affect another TV of a Joey but how do we know? Is it setting the resolution to 480? Obviously if component has the same result it's something the system.

I agree, see if unplugging the HDMI from the Hopper TV changes anything on the Joey TVs.

I was the techs and he said maybe the first person here in Cincinnati to get the Hopper 3 yesterday morning. Love the new remote and new ui. Here is my issue. On every channel and vod, the HD quality is horrible. I messed with me picture calibration a million times and got it looking reasonable, but compares to almost DVD quality. I am a techy and work in IT so yes I have made sure it is set to 4k,1080p, 1080i and tired others. Also the 4k Joey is the same on my other TV. Something just isnt right. I'm beginning to think there is something weird if you don't actually have a 4k set yet. Anybody have any insight?

I am having the exact same issue but on a 4k TV and it looks below DVD quality. I have had 3 techs out to the house, replaced the Hopper 3 and LNB and nothing has improved. Moved the Hopper to a different Tv and nothing.

Your first point - it really has nothing to do whether it's a 1080P or 4K TV.

As far as your LG turning on HDR mode, that's a TV problem. The video must contain the HDR metadata header for a 4K HDR set to switch to that mode. There is no such header output by the H3. I would try a different HDMI input for you H3.
Gerry

PS: To the OP- as mentioned above, all wiring needs to be checked that it was done correctly. If it is then your H3 probably has a video problem internally. Did you do a pull the plug reset?

You are incorrect about the HDR being a TV problem. I also have an LG 65EF9500 and the HDR comes on with the Hopper all the time when there is no HDR content on the Hopper 3. Only Amazon and Samsung UHD player both work correctly only turn HDR when the show supports HDR. I have talked to both Dish and LG tech support and are both looking into the HDR issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)