Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

No the Spatial Scaling Engine is what Vizio uses to upconvert the picture to 4K.

If you wnat to see what HDR might look like:

Select the Vivid picture setting.

Turn Off the Automatic Light setting under the picture setting.

Put on a pair of dark glasses.:cool::biggrin
Thanks Jhon69, changed picture setting to Vivid and it looks much better. Didn't need any dark glasses. :cool:

I don't think OP had an LG did he?

What if you set it to 720p, does the PQ change at all?

It very well could be some sort of HDMI issue that would also explain the HDR. eddie willers Do you notice PQ issues other than HDR?
Let's get everybody on the same page here:

My first post on this thread made two points.

1. That the picture was BETTER with the H3 than it had been with HWS.

2. That the Hopper 3 was tripping the HDR circuits on....something I had not seen before except when I went to the Amazon app on the TV (LG 55EF9500) and clicked on their 'Ultra' shows. Well, when I hooked up the H3 my TV did exactly what it did when I connected to Amazon. The "HDR is on" banner popped up on the top right side of the picture and the Contrast and OLED Backlight controls in the picture settings were greyed out on the LG. And it was NOT channel specific...the H3 would trip the HDR circuits whether I was watching a show or in Guide / Menu or any screen whatsoever.

But it was only a curiosity, not a picture detriment, as the Hopper 3 was a better picture than the HWS ever had been.

Now other posters said I was crazy...that there was NO way the Hopper tripped the HDR circuits, so I posted pictures showing that it was indeed true. But we all agreed it shouldn't have and speculated that either Dish or LG would locate the bug and squash it.

Yesterday the 'HDR is on' quit happening and my access to Contrast and OLED Backlight returned, so either Dish or LG made the software change. Don't know which....yet.

Now to get back to the OP's picture problem. There is NO WAY an HDMI cable can "soften" a picture. Its digital. It either is or is not. A 'bad' cable means either no picture, no sound or both.

Reactions: budda
Now to get back to the OP's picture problem. There is NO WAY an HDMI cable can "soften" a picture. Its digital. It either is or is not. A 'bad' cable means either no picture, no sound or both.

So then it may be either the H3 or the TV that is the problem. I suggested connecting a different tv to the Hopper to see what the picture quality was. I have not seen that this has yet been done.

So then it may be either the H3 or the TV that is the problem
Yes. Period (though it can still be a wrong setting in either the TV or H3)

If the Hopper is set to 4k,1080 QUIT!...the problem isn't there. Now check that the TV to be sure it is set to "16x9" or "Just Scan" or whatever nomenclature means HDTV to the max.

If both of these are true, then it is either a bad Hopper or a bad TV.

The HDMI 2.0 means the INPUT of the TV complies with 4k. An HDMI input that says 2.2 means that it will pass a copyrighted 4k presentation. The 2.2 is actually HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection).

Reactions: Ngamtns706

If the Hopper is set to 4k,1080 QUIT!...the problem isn't there. Now check that the TV to be sure it is set to "16x9" or "Just Scan" or whatever nomenclature means HDTV to the max.

The HDMI 2.0 means the INPUT of the TV complies with 4k. An HDMI input that says 2.2 means that it will pass a copyrighted 4k presentation. The 2.2 is actually HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection).

I agree. After reading this thread. I am going with aspect ratio of TV. Sat box or both. Or That the channel is SD not HD. I have a 50 4K tv a 65 Plasma, 40 LED and a 55" LED. Every one looks really good. Having said that Because I have so much crap it is easier to trouble shoot. Good Luck!!

One other thing to check: what does the TV say it's receiving from the H3? 1080 or 480? It could be a handshake issue between the two devices preventing HD resolutions. Switch H3 to 480, accept it then switch to 1080 and accept that. Then I'd call for a replacement H3.

Do you have multiple HDMI ports on your 4K TV because on my Vizio I have 5 HDMI ports and I get the best picture on port 5 which says it for 4K @ 60HZ. Is it possible to try different ports and report back.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yesterday the 'HDR is now on' quit happening and my access to Contrast and OLED Backlight returned, so either Dish or LG made the software change. Don't know which....yet.

Un be freaking livable!

The "HDR is now on" banner is back!

A few days ago, I was looking for an explanation of the banner coming on and found out that LG was coming out with new TVs that were supposed to "convert" older sources to HDR. Here's an except from the article at 4K.com:

We’re talking of course about the upcoming launch of LG’s new select 4K “Super UHD” TVs which will start shipping in the U.S market in the early spring. These TVs will be coming with HDR-compatible HDMI ports along with SDR-to-HDR conversion technology through an internal reprocessing engine. This means (if the news about these TVs is to be believed) that LG will soon be offering 4K televisions which will let viewers enjoy 4K UHD HDR video content quality in any conventional piece of content regardless of whether it itself features high dynamic range encoding. Furthermore, upscaled non-4K content from SDR sources may also possibly be viewed with HDR enhancements.

Perhaps LG included the reprocessing engine in the late 2015 model I bought and didn't tell anyone. That would explain the banner.

And since some posters seemed to be confused, the picture looks great with (or without) the "HDR is now on" banner showing up.

Here are a few pics that show how bad it is.
no i never got the chance to do thanks. Mine is clear now but I had to turn auto back light dimming on and change the picture a lot so while it looks pretty good now it's typically a dark picture which isn't always ideal.

Thanks Jhon69, changed picture setting to Vivid and it looks much better. Didn't need any dark glasses. :cool:

Your welcome.

I normally put on the vivid setting and run the automatic light setting on High.

I use to choose the standard picture setting with the automatic light setting to off.

But with Super Bowl this Sunday I want to see those colors Pop!:biggrin

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have never seen a native pass through on any of the Dish receivers and I like it that way.
That's nice...for you...some (many of us, I actually suspect) WOULD like this option...just like pretty much EVERY other modern HD set top offers the end-user. It's a thing called C-H-O-I-C-E, which (supposedly) the Ho is supposed to be about...there IS actually a valid reason why all the others offer the option; think about it.

If you want to be saddled with the (abet, small) picture degradation of up/down conversion, then that's great...but when all it takes is a simple, option setting for others, I just don't see why E* continues to be so backwards in their thinking on this...& frankly, E* could use any (even small) extra picture quality enhancement it could squeeze out of it's service. :rolleyes:

Hopper 2 didn't and i have not seen it H3. If it did when would you use it?

Um, 24/7... :confused:

Yea guys, I'm all TOO well aware E* has NEVER offered this on ANY HD receiver...but I mean christ, even Comcast's old, clunky, I-guide Moto HD boxes have offered a pass-thru option for years now...this is NOT exactly an epiphany of thought. And YES, I'm very much aware of the time-lag/flicker problem when changing channels,etc...when you have a DVR & you're NOT actually channel-surfing, it not a big-deal at all.
AGAIN, that's why you make it an OPTION in setup...NOT a requirement! D* has had thing very thing on ALL of their HD boxes as far back as I can remember; I know they had them on the D* HD-Tivo units, since I had one & always used it in native.

Hopper 2 didn't and i have not seen it H3. If it did when would you use it?

One of the general rules of video processing is "only do it once". Technically right now on a 720p channel the Hopper is scaling it to 1080 before outputting it, and then my 4K TV has to scale it again. Actually, now that I think about it, does it output a 720p channel as 1080p or 1080i? It might actually be interlacing it and then the TV de-interlaces it again. :) I'll have to check what it outputs on a 720p channel.

If there was a "just scan" feature then the Hopper would just output whatever the signal actually is without modifying it and let the TV handle it completely. Not critical but I would also like to have it to see if it improves PQ.

I suspect the reason they don't offer it is some TVs go black for a moment when you switch input formats and you'd see that going between channels, and my guess is most people would blame the Hopper for being slow switching channels without understanding what is actually happening.

Reactions: oldengineer
If there was a "just scan" feature then the Hopper would just output whatever the signal actually is without modifying it and let the TV handle it completely.

OK, you lost me...how IS this different from native passthru???

I suspect the reason they don't offer it is some TVs go black for a moment when you switch input formats and you'd see that going between channels, and my guess is most people would blame the Hopper for being slow switching channels without understanding what is actually happening.

(hate be repetitive, but) AGAIN, that's why you make it an OPTION in setup...NOT a requirement! You have the receiver make the default setting either 720 or 1080, so that on 1st time setup, you don't have any of these issues. And only when the user DOES select to change these options to native, you simply put in a pop-up that states these possible issues, & then the user clicks on "accept" to allow the option to change. This is not rocket science folks... ;)

SO, IN CONCLUSION (WITH ALL OF THESE OTHER PEOPLE HIJACKING THIS THREAD), DOES THE H3 HAVE A VIDEO PROBLEM OR IS IT JUST CERTAIN TVS NOT SET UP PRPPERLY OR RANDOM CONNECTION PROBLEMS. AFTER 6 PAGES, WE HAVE HASHED AND REHASHED EVERY CONCERN.

Reactions: TechWriter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts