Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

The new Hopper OS has been referred to for months everywhere as the new UI or the Carbon UI. I guess that's making it too confusing for some people to understand that it's a totally new OS from the ground up. So what should we call it? DISH has a specific name but I'm not sure if it's classified so I won't say it here. Until now 'The New UI' or 'The Carbon UI' has been enough. As far as I'm concerned it's still enough and not worth the knit picking.

There comes a time when close enough poses problems in conveying meaning.

I'd rather be ignorant then (than) stupid! ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

If that was meant as a personal attack I chose to ignore it.

Scott, please close this poorly titled stupid thread.

If that was meant as a personal attack I chose to ignore it.

Scott, please close this poorly titled stupid thread.
It's just a interchange of then and than showing different meanings. Nothing personal about it. Not directed at you.

You're a cool cat! :D

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I agree with the OP. My picture quality did not degrade to the low quality that he is showing but I did see a difference when I upgraded my hopper with sling to the carbon UI. The picture was much softer and I just took it as an issue with the upgrade and that it would be better with the H3.

I just had the hopper 3, 4k joey and 2 joey 2's installed on Sunday and I'm not impressed with the picture quality. I bought a 4k lg television on Monday for the 4k joey and I am extremely underwhelmed. The picture from netflix, hulu, youtube and amazon is far superior to what I am getting from the dish receiver. None of the menus appear to be crisp or in hd and everything looks over compressed.

I hope it is something they can tweak because I find myself going to the apps for content because it just looks so much better. I am an unapologetic Dish Fanboy. I hope they get this thing worked out.

When I updated my HWS to the Carbon UI, the menu's did not look good at all. The menu's I see on the H3 are sharp, elegant and the blacks are inky black. Looks very contrasty to me.

I still do not know what others are seeing, but I have had a H2000, HWS and a H3, and record about 30 hours a week. Other than upgraded menus that look better to me, I do not notice any PQ difference on the H3 with content.

Arrow, which I record OTA and is a dark show, would be one candidate to show issues. It looks outstanding, even the sat version isn't bad. That being said, Dish locals have looked bad to me for awhile and I avoid them.

Taking that out of the equation, HBO, Showtime, A&E, USA, Syfy, AMC all look the same to me. The one channel that looked like crap before, and still looks like crap is FX. AHS Hotel was horrible for compressions issues. Being so dark, there was obviously not enough bandwidth for it and it looks bad on the OLED.

This thread is like an episode of Ghost Hunters.

BTW, since I set my OLED up at the same time I got the H3, and you had a HWS before, what are your OLED settings?

Im using:

ISF 1
Contrast 80
Oled Light 42
Brightness 49
Gamma 2.2
All noise reduction crap off
Everything else was default I think. I also have the UHD Deep Color off.

If Vivek is following these threads, why hasn't he given his opinion about this customers issues with poor picture quality. Having been someone who has installed satellite systems since the early 80's, it amazes me how incompetent some of these techs are at basic troubleshooting techniques. I would start by eliminating everything inline except what's required to get a signal from the dish to the hopper3. I would put some fittings on a jumper cable and run it from the LNB through a window straight to the hopper3 and go from there.

I actually recommended the tech run a line directly from the LNB to my Hopper 3 just to eliminate everything in my house yet he seem to not want to do it that day.

Reactions: navychop
BTW, since I set my OLED up at the same time I got the H3, and you had a HWS before, what are your OLED settings?

Im using:

ISF 1
Contrast 80
Oled Light 42
Brightness 49
Gamma 2.2
All noise reduction crap off
Everything else was default I think. I also have the UHD Deep Color off.

ISF 1
OLED Light 35
Contrast 80
Brightness 52
H Sharpness 0
V Sharpness 0
Gamma BT.1886
All noise reduction off
Deep Color OFF

Though with the HDR on bug with the Hopper 3 if greys out OLED light and Contrast so HDR can control it.

One shouldn't simplify, there is a difference between user interface and the machine/equipment/software that puts the programming content on the screen.

UI involves the human interaction via the menus and not the one-way process of displaying the programming.

At least there is a distinction in my world. Maybe it's splitting hairs in another's.

Watch a full screen video on the computer. Now, move the mouse and the UI pops up.

I never heard the OP complain of a poor looking UI.

Yes thank you my UI is fine

ISF 1
OLED Light 35
Contrast 80
Brightness 52
H Sharpness 0
V Sharpness 0
Gamma BT.1886
All noise reduction off
Deep Color OFF

Though with the HDR on bug with the Hopper 3 if greys out OLED light and Contrast so HDR can control it.

With your gamma selection, did you properly calibrate brightness? One of the biggest PQ complaints I had was fixed by properly adjusting it, which requires a method that is not quite the norm for most tv's. It greatly reduced my blocking and dark area issues. Rest of your settings look par for the course. I assume it looks like crap even when HDR is not triggered?

I dunno. I have the same display and I don't have a PQ complaint unless the H3 triggers my HDR mode, something that seems to have stopped. Mine runs thru a simple Denon AVR and I was using active media bridge cables, and am now on blue jeans cable FE series.

OTA looks great, Billions on Showtime looks great for an example, and all the stuff like Walking Dead look the same to me considering the display swap I had at the same time I swapped to the H3. Regarding the new menu's, and normal operation of the H3, the PQ looks great and I can't see any differences. PQ is something I am pretty OCD about too... I do not think it is the H3, it is something else.

This reminds me of the Directv HR24 where some people told us it didn't have worse PQ, until we found out the 500 was a NXP chip not broadcom, and was outputting RGB. The way I understand though is all the H3's are broadcom and mine is confirmed outputting 1080i/60 ycbcr 444.

Billions is one of the shows I am going to show some examples of because it is so bad. Usually the premiums have some of the best PQ. Let me at least show that I am not crazy before we close this thread. Trust me I want this to be over more than anyone here.

With your gamma selection, did you properly calibrate brightness? One of the biggest PQ complaints I had was fixed by properly adjusting it, which requires a method that is not quite the norm for most tv's. It greatly reduced my blocking and dark area issues. Rest of your settings look par for the course. I assume it looks like crap even when HDR is not triggered?

Yes looks like crap HDR on or off

Yeah, then something is going on in your setup. Billions looks very good on mine (about 9 feet away), we just watched the episode Monday where he pays the donation to get his name on a building. Looked very good.

My TV is nowhere near the quality of yours but I did go in and make several picture setting changes. I'm not at home right now but this is what I remember:

Model - 55UF6450 LED 4k television

Expert 1
Backlight - 40
Contrast - 80
Brightness - 50
Gamma - 2.2
All noise reduction and edge enhancement and True Motion is Off.

I have 3 plasmas in the house and my main TV is a Panasonic 65vt30. The picture quality is degraded on all the televisions compared to the hopper with sling and the hopper 2k I previously had.

The LG is my first non plasma set and I am still partial to Plasma technology. I plan on getting an OLED in the next year or so when the 70 in screen comes down in price. One of the reasons I bought the 4k was because the picture just looked horrible in my bedroom and i was thinking that the 4k joey was probably optimized to work better with a 4k television but that did not make a difference. it does look better than the 10yr old 720p plasma I had but it does not come close to the picture that I can stream from netflix and others. 1080p from Netflix looks much better than anything I'm getting from dish. I tried new cables, direct connection from dish receivers to the tv and even changing resolution on dish receivers.

I'm sure they'll get it fixed, just hope it is soon.

Take a close look at what gadgetfreek said about gamma. I had two early DLP sets that would be destroyed by maladjustment of gamma.

Or you could try ignoring this "stupid" thread instead of being one of the major contributors to it.

I don't have any users or threads set to ignore here at Satelliteguys because usually every word posted here is valuable. In this case I hate to see misinformation so I am contributing to get the facts out.

Not sure why the 1886 selection, but I do know that 2.2 gamma on the OLED requires a different setting than 2.4. If brightness is wrong on these the near black looks horrible. One of the first days I had it a black trench coat someone had on during an episode of Homeland looked like a near black disco ball of blocking. Once I properly set brightness it went away.

I do see other blocking in certain areas of aggressively compressed programming, but it is because OLED's do not dither like plasma did, so compressed feeds are going to show worse. AHS is a mess on my OLED, granted it was on my LCD too, and it is a shame because it could be a black level lover's dream if the channel wasn't compressed so badly by dish or Fox.

Reactions: osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts