Hopper 3 Update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fearless

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I'm a year into my Directv contract so it's time to consider switching back to Dish. My biggest problem with the Hopper 3 was how it maintained the view history of recorded content. With Directv when you switch off of recorded content either by switching to another channel, switching to other recorded content or by turning the receiver off, when you return to the recorded content it starts at the spot you stopped watching or a couple of seconds before. With the Hopper, it never operated this way. It would either startup 5 - 10 seconds past the point you stopped watching or it appeared the recorded content continued to play all the way to the end. Then I would have to try to figure out where I left off. This could all be fixed easily in the software. Has it been fixed?
Or is there a Hopper 4 on the way?

My Hopper3 has always resumed a recorded program where I stop watching, I can not ever recall experiencing what you describe. The only time the Hopper3 does not do this is if the recording is still in progress because there is no practical way (without violating others patents) to mark a spot in an in process recording. The Hopper3 simply has no ability to mark where the recording is when you change channels and if you try to resume it starts from the beginning of the recording.

My Hopper3 has always resumed a recorded program where I stop watching, I can not ever recall experiencing what you describe. The only time the Hopper3 does not do this is if the recording is still in progress because there is no practical way (without violating others patents) to mark a spot in an in process recording. The Hopper3 simply has no ability to mark where the recording is when you change channels and if you try to resume it starts from the beginning of the recording.
That has been fixed.

Which "that"?

I just tested my H3 and after starting a recording and running it a few minutes, I changed channels, then went to the recording.

The recording started playing at the beginning.

Reactions: TheKrell
Which "that"?

I just tested my H3 and after starting a recording and running it a few minutes, I changed channels, then went to the recording.

The recording started playing at the beginning.
I don't know why it doesn't work for you. This has been fixed a good year, maybe 18 months ago. I use it all the time for all the car races and ball games. It works on programs too. Once in a great while it doesn't, I have to hit the start over button because the resume button is not there. But that is very rare.

I don't see why a time from the beginning can't be stored rather than a time from the end. How can that possibly violate any patents?
This has been fixed a good year, maybe 18 months ago.

It's not fixed for me either. :(

I don't see why a time from the beginning can't be stored rather than a time from the end. How can that possibly violate any patents?

I don't know why it doesn't work for y'all. I just used it last Sunday for the F1 and Cup race. I start watching the recording while it is still recording. After a while I would switch to watch another recording or live TV. When I go back the the race the resume button is there. As I said before once in a great while it doesn't work for some reason.

Hmm, I've accidentally changed the Channel while watching a recording, and just hit recall and it went back to where it left off

Reactions: charlesrshell
What I did was channel up, DVR find the recording in progress play and it went to the beginning.

I did the recall thing and it took me to the same channel but live TV, not to the place where I left the channel.

What I did was channel up, DVR find the recording in progress play and it went to the beginning.

I did the recall thing and it took me to the same channel but live TV, not to the place where I left the channel.
The way I do it is while I am watching a recording that is still recording, I use the number pad and punch in the live channel number I want to watch. When I go back to DVR and select the recording that is still recording, I have a resume button to select and it goes to where I left off. Another way I do it the most is while watching the recording that is still recording, I go to the DVR recordings menu and select another recording to watch. When I go back to the recording that is still recording there is a resume button. Some times I will go back and forth between two programs that are recording at the same time and have a resume button when I go back to recordings that are still recording. Try those two methods Jim5506 and TheKrell.

Like I said, this should be a very easy fix. It works perfectly on Directv. It's a bigger issue for me since I bounce around all over the place and turn off the TV in the middle of watching something often.
I asked about this here before switching to Directv and was told I needed to hit some other key(s) before switching off of recorded content. That was not a good option for me.

Let's discuss the answer to the 2nd part of this topic: Is there a Hopper 4 on the way? What's the ballpark time frame for such an animal?

Reactions: charlesrshell