HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I got a an email last nite from an on line retailer that said Hopper 3 and 4K Joeys release pushed back 1 week.

I heard that but I don't tend to believe anything 100% until I hear it from my own sources. I'm not saying it's not true but I just don't want everyone's hopes up until there is an official release date from Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was talking to the Tech when he was instilling my SJ last week and he said they have been told the 1st week of February. Said they were behind in getting shipments out and training on the updated version of the UI done.

So it looks like they are planning on alowing two H3 on an account.

Sent from my iPhone using Chrome.

That is a big change from what I was told at CES. :)

Option 2 – available towards the end of this year.
We will have a new switch DPH42 – that will support using your existing 1000+ DISH and existing LNB and will also allow you to have more than one Hopper 3.

Not enough to be definitive IMO. However just enough to let us speculate until something official is released.

Could that be the hangup for allowing more than 1 h3 on an account because of a 1 dish solution?

He also says....

Option 1 – available immediately:
For multiple Hopper 3’s – you will have to install a second dish with a second Hybrid LNBF.

Could it be that he is just providing a solution for multiple h3's at the same location but not on the same account?

He doesn't state that specifically 1 way or another for either option.

For those that want more than 1 h3 I hope dish will accommodate you without having to have a 2nd account. However even though Vivek made these statements, they can be interpreted a few different ways. We need more info....

what are you gonna do with your (3) 30" dishes when you get the hopper 3? and why do you have 3 dishes? los? or just stronger signal?
I have three dishes for a stronger signal in rain. I would rather be able to keep the three separate ones, but the difference in signal is not that great on a 1000.2. Not enough to keep me from getting the Hopper 3 for the extra tuners, no need for multiple switches and nodes, a simpler, cleaner install overall, and fewer points of failure.

Won't be me. Just a waste of money for me to get it. One Hopper 3 with three Joeys should work just fine.
I can't imagine anyone needing more than 16 tuners. I have 12 now and don't use all of them all of the time. I do plan to add a Wally for a "tailgater" (that will be hooked to a separate dish and used on the "tailgate" in a spare room, LOL) so I can have redundancy should the H3 fail. Have you heard of a release date for Wally? I know it is basically the same as the 211, I just want the Wally for the Hopper GUI.

I asked about this before, and less than 5% have two Hoppers, so not sure where you are getting this 30 to 40% number.
Well see now I don't believe that.
If that is true, That's because dish did wrong in promoting a proper 4 room setup.
If you are going to tell people a Hopper and 4 joeys is acceptable, which is exactly what they did before the Super Joey was released.
Then it's hard to find customers that would have a 2 hopper system.
I had to argue for it.
She was trying everything in her power to stick me with a SuperJoey, Knowing I had a 5 rooms setup.

So apparently more the 5% of Customers felt that the current Hopper setups are inadequate, Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing a 16 Tuner Hopper system.

Because no one else has more then 5 or 6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Think about it, it would be much cheaper to push people to a Super Joey then a second Hopper. This is what they were doing for the people who said they didn't have enough tuners.

I have heard the Hopper 3 was only supposed to have 8 tuners, but then they figured out how to do more than 16 so they decided on 16 and the rest is history. :)

If that is true, That's because dish did wrong in promoting a proper 4 room setup.
If you are going to tell people a Hopper and 4 joeys is acceptable, which is exactly what they did before the Super Joey was released.
Then it's hard to find customers that would have a 2 hopper system.
I had to argue for it.
She was trying everything in her power to stick me with a SuperJoey, Knowing I had a 5 rooms setup.

So apparently more the 5% of Customers felt that the current Hopper setups are inadequate, Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing a 16 Tuner Hopper system.

Because no one else has more then 5 or 6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I believe Scott on this one. The members here and others like us are the only ones with 2 Hoppers that I know of. I would push two Hoppers to my customers and was able to get a few to do it but the majority of people are not willing to spend the extra money to have a second Hopper. You need to remember how frugal the majority of people are when it comes to pay TV, they want the cheapest they can get.

As for Dish doing a poor job promoting it, you are absolutely correct. I honestly don't think that Dish thought people would need 2 Hoppers and figured 1 Hopper with Joeys would take care of their needs. When building an order with Dish it always recommends what they consider the proper equipment when you input the amount of TVs in the house. So, a 3 room install would be a Hopper with 2 Joeys. What they don't figure in is the amount of people in the house that want to watch TV at once and be able to record their own shows. Dish doesn't factor that in when signing someone up. This is why I always recommend a good/knowledgeable retailer that will sell you what you need.

Reactions: bspei
I have heard the Hopper 3 was only supposed to have 8 tuners, but then they figured out how to do more than 16 so they decided on 16 and the rest is history.
I still think having (16) tuners is crazy. They also must effectively get that many for "free" or for little investment because from a practical standpoint, as in, how many customers will really use them all, it doesn't make much sense. I always said that the Super Joey made perfect sense for that small number of customers who needed add'l tuners. Put this capability in a 2nd box so that the bread-and-butter hardware, the Hopper, remained a constant. It worked for 90% of their customers.

If you are going to tell people a Hopper and 4 joeys is acceptable, which is exactly what they did before the Super Joey was released........

A single Hopper in combination with 4 Joeys (Non-Super) has never been an approved combination. Max number of Joeys per Hopper is set at 3.

A single Hopper in combination with 4 Joeys (Non-Super) has never been an approved combination. Max number of Joeys per Hopper is set at 3.
On release it was. We were specifically instructed not to offer the second unless asked and then even that was up for debate.

Reactions: Troch77
When the Hopper was first introduced, the second Hopper was the same price per month as a Joey but you also had to take at least one Joey per Hopper. That's how I ended up with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

Reactions: oldengineer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)