HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

When the Hopper was first introduced, the second Hopper was the same price per month as a Joey but you also had to take at least one Joey per Hopper. That's how I ended up with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.
But even then, people could still get around the Joey requirement by telling the installer they didn't need the Joey.

But even then, people could still get around the Joey requirement by telling the installer they didn't need the Joey.
Yup. Being the tv fan I am, I always suggested it. lol oh how times have changed. I could always justify my actions and so I never got in "trouble".

That's because you are a 5 percenter, Troch. :D
I was the 5% informed a Single Hopper Joey setup was inadequate.

The rest found out the hard way.
Do I believe 40% of Hopper customers have 2 Hoppers Absolutely not.
But had they been setup properly there wouldn't be complaining that results is a 16 Tuner box as an answer.

Because again a 2 Hopper setup is fine for 4 rooms.
Dish should have never charged $12 for each Hopper either. That tends to turn people away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: osu1991
I tried and he put me on the line with Dish and they would not budge. They did not want me to have two Hoppers but I convinced them me and the wife could not share a single Hopper. I had the first Hopper system in my area.

Reactions: Troch77
Man, what a confusing mess the release of the Hopper system was. It was so new and different that Dish had no idea what was going to happen.

On release it was. We were specifically instructed not to offer the second unless asked and then even that was up for debate.
Thank you I've spend many times on the phone, and there are many Diagrams showing One hopper 3 Joeys.

Saw a little discussion early in the thread but not much since. Has anyone found out what the timer limit will be on these? Seems like with so many tuners they would have to be more timers. I think my original hoppers top out just under 100 or so.

I'm on an original 2h/2j setup because I wanted the 6 tuners. Didn't need the 2nd joey but they wouldn't let me have the 2nd hopper without one. So I figure I'll probably wind up saving a little per month switching to 1h/2j on the new hopper setup.

Can't wait to not have to juggle timers between multiple boxes and hunt for recordings in different spots.

Any recommendations on EHD's? I have some old ones I used when I moved from my 722 to the hoppers but think it's time for some newer USB3 versions since now we'll be on a single box.

I was the 5% informed a Single Hopper Joey setup was inadequate.

The rest found out the hard way.
Do I believe 40% of Hopper customers have 2 Hoppers Absolutely not.
But had they been setup properly there wouldn't be complaining that results is a 16 Tuner box as an answer.

Because again a 2 Hopper setup is fine for 4 rooms.
Dish should have never charged $12 for each Hopper either. That tends to turn people away.

I agree. If Dish would have properly set up people with 2 Hoppers that needed them and didn't charge any of the extra fees there wouldn't be an issues. If you look at negative reviews of the Hopper system it's all from customers who were not qualified properly. They don't have enough tuners for the amount of people in the house. They were mislead my poorly informed CSRs at Dish.\

I think with the Hopper 3 they can't screw up now. All new customers will get a Hopper 3 with the appropriate number of Joeys and there shouldn't be any conflicts.

Reactions: Troch77
So the hopper 3 would be cheaper than my setup with vip722 and vip612? Also do I need a joey? Sorry I haven't been up to date with the hopper systems

So the hopper 3 would be cheaper than my setup with vip722 and vip612? Also do I need a joey? Sorry I haven't been up to date with the hopper systems

How many TVs are you hooked up to with that, 3? Currently I believe you are paying $10 for the DVR and $10 for the 612 as a secondary receiver for a total of $10. If you went to a Hopper 3 with two Joeys it would be $15 for the DVR and $7 for each Joey for a total of $29.

Might have been different for CSRs. That's what our protocol was.
We may have misunderstood each others posts. My original post stated that a 1-Hopper/4-Joey setup has never been an approved combination. I didn't say a 2 Hopper combo was not approved. In fact, at launch, the easiest way to get a 2 Hopper setup was to go through a retailer. I did several early on.

I forget about the Joeys. It's been too many years and frankly, just not enough cares to remember. Haha. But I agree with you.

Reactions: Ziptied
How many TVs are you hooked up to with that, 3? Currently I believe you are paying $7 for the DVR and $10 for the 612 as a secondary receiver for a total of $17. If you went to a Hopper 3 with two Joeys it would be $15 for the DVR and $7 for each Joey for a total of $29.

Fixed it for ya.:)

I had no trouble getting 2 HWS and 1 owned Joey. Of course, there were no SJs then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)