Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Looks like a LOT of people will want a Hopper 3 Upgrade! 16 Tuners, 4K, USB 3, Gigabit Ethernet and more!

As was announced at the DISH Press Conference the Hopper 3 will be released THIS MONTH. (January 2016!)

It should be noted that currently the HOPPER 3 is NOT available and we ask you NOT TO contact the DISH DIRT Team about upgrades to the Hopper 3 yet.

Keep an eye on SatelliteGuys as I am told we will get the first opportunity to upgrade our members to Hopper 3's. SO PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT DIRT until I say its ok to do so. If you contact them now, unfortunately they won't be able to do anything for you.

When updates are available I will start a new thread for upgrade requests, this way the DIRT team can help people in the order that the upgrade requests were made. If you send a request to an individual DIRT team member there is no guarantee that the DIRT member will see it.

So again PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT DIRT FOR A HOPPER 3 UPGRADE AT THIS TIME.

THANK YOU!

Dang, I just signed up for a two year price lock near the end of last month before I found this forum..hope I'll be able to upgrade. Credit isn't a problem.

Dang, I just signed up for a two year price lock near the end of last month before I found this forum..hope I'll be able to upgrade. Credit isn't a problem.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys Ngamtns706 !
You are my neighbor, I am across the mountain in Murphy.

Reactions: Ngamtns706
I wonder if I could get a Hopper 3 because I'm going to be getting a new Hopper to replace a faulty hard drive in my existing Hopper w/Sling. I hear it costs an additional $15 a month, though. In the meantime, I ordered an EHD (should be here this week) so I can transfer about 200 movies from the existing Hopper to use with the new one.

Just hopped back on here to look into the guide update I read about when I got service months ago and noticed a new hopper with 4k is coming. Is there any information on what the cost for this unit would be or the monthly access difference?

I wonder if I could get a Hopper 3 because I'm going to be getting a new Hopper to replace a faulty hard drive in my existing Hopper w/Sling. I hear it costs an additional $15 a month, though. In the meantime, I ordered an EHD (should be here this week) so I can transfer about 200 movies from the existing Hopper to use with the new one.
Not $15 more. It's a single $15 DVR fee, currently it is $12.

Not $15 more. It's a single $15 DVR fee, currently it is $12.

Hi Chad,

This means it's only a one-time $15 fee and the regular $12 DVR monthly fee? That is great to hear. After I have my current recordings transferred to the EHD I'm supposed to contact Dish to have them send a new Hopper to me. The techs told me to insist on a new machine. Because this is to replace a faulty unit, do you think they might agree to ship a Hopper 3 since it is coming out this month?

Hi Chad,

This means it's only a one-time $15 fee and the regular $12 DVR monthly fee? That is great to hear. After I have my current recordings transferred to the EHD I'm supposed to contact Dish to have them send a new Hopper to me. The techs told me to insist on a new machine. Because this is to replace a faulty unit, do you think they might agree to ship a Hopper 3 since it is coming out this month?
The $15 fee replaces the $12 fee. Basically, your bill would go up $3 only. If you have multiple hoppers, it would go down $5(switch hopper with Joey), ultimately saving you $2 per month. Almost guaranteed they will not ship as it doesn't use a node, and requires the new hybrid lnb.

Reactions: HighlanderCFH
The $15 fee replaces the $12 fee. Basically, your bill would go up $3 only. If you have multiple hoppers, it would go down $5(switch hopper with Joey), ultimately saving you $2 per month. Almost guaranteed they will not ship as it doesn't use a node, and requires the new hybrid lnb.

I'm not very technically oriented regarding the node and new hybrid inb. Is this something they could have installed by a tech at no charge (due to my failing hard drive), or would I have to pay for a tech installation visit? By the way, I deeply appreciate the info you are giving me.

No problem. The tech isn't going to be free because of the replacement, but that isn't saying the tech visit wouldn't be free. If you have the protection plan, the tech visit is $10, and in some cases can be waived. Without the proplan, you would be paying $95. I am guessing they are not really proactively waiving tech visits because of how stormed their techs are going to be, but also remember, Dish takes care of their best customers without hesitation. The cost part is hard to answer since each account is different.

Reactions: Almighty1
Thank you. It will probably take a while for my EHD (should arrive by late this week/early next week) to transfer my recorded content (over 200 movies, most of 'em HD). But when I'm done, I'll be contacting Dish for the new Hopper. Just checked my latest bill & I don't think I have the protection plan, so I guess I'd have to pay the whole fee. Can you give any insight as to which typically gives better results between calling Dish on the phone or chatting with them online?

When the time comes, go through DIRT. They will get you squared away. Besides, likely the phones will be non stop busy for upgrade requests.

When the time comes, go through DIRT. They will get you squared away. Besides, likely the phones will be non stop busy for upgrade requests.

Thanks. I will do that, But, here's where I reveal how really dumb I am. I've seen the acronym, "DIRT" used many times to get help, but have never figured out exactly what it is. Is it this an online chat?

EDIT: After making the above post, I did a Google search and learned exactly what the DIRT team is and how to contact it. So I'll be doing this as soon as my EHD arrives and I begin transferring the content to prepare to get the new Hopper. Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: bajasat and ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)