Hopper 3 users...how is the new 52.0 remote vs. the old 40.0?

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
For those that have had the new Hopper 3 system installed, how does the new remote (52.0) compare to the old Hopper/Hopper with Sling remote (40.0)? At first glance, it seems that it is less functional since it has fewer buttons, especially the four colored buttons, but without a Hopper 3 system, I can only ask for all of your input.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that when the new 52.0 remote is paired to the Hopper 3, the interface and all the menus are adjusted to represent the use of this particular remote. Does that affect those that also have a 40.0 remote paired to the Hopper 3?

Too many things can't be done or take more work with the 52. I MUCH prefer the 40.

The receiver knows which remote you're using and dynamically changes the prompts accordingly based on the most recent key press.

Last edited:
I went from a 722 to the h3, never did use the 40.0 remote. Am really liking the 52.0 remote, already learned the buttons without looking.

While the 52 remote is nice and gets the job done I prefer the 40.0 remote. It saves me a bunch of presses. If I never used the 40.0 remote the 52.0 would be fine but I'm spoiled now. Not sure about different menus for different remotes but it does tell me what function the colored buttons on the 40.0 can perform.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The only thing I don't like is that it's not backlit. Then again neither was the 40 remote. But since it now has less dedicated buttons it would be helpful to have a backlight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am loving the 52.0 remote. I thought it was going to be a step back but I don't believe it was. It takes a little learning but it does everything the 40.0 remote did in a nice small clean package.
All due respect :) It does not do all the 40.0 does.

Aside from single button presses for many functions, the 40.0 has an additional programmable Mode to control another AV component.

I am loving the 52.0 remote. I thought it was going to be a step back but I don't believe it was. It takes a little learning but it does everything the 40.0 remote did in a nice small clean package.
Awesome that you're enjoying the 52.0! How does the rewind/fast-forward buttons work? I know you press them to jump back/forward and you hold them to rewind/fast-forward, but how long does it take to engage? A second, half-second? Do you just keep holding it down to go faster (15x, 60x, 300x)? How do these buttons function on the guide screen (On the 40.0, jump back/forward went 3 hours forward or backward in time, while fast-forward/rewind went 24 hours back or forward)?
Too many things can't be done or take more work with the 52. I MUCH prefer the 40.
The receiver knows which remote you're using and dynamically changes the prompts accordingly based on the most recent key press.
That's pretty cool that it changes the interface depending on the remote!
While the 52 remote is nice and gets the job done I prefer the 40.0 remote. It saves me a bunch of presses. If I never used the 40.0 remote the 52.0 would be fine but I'm spoiled now. Not sure about different menus for different remotes but it does tell me what function the colored buttons on the 40.0 can perform.

That's what I was thinking...I kind of like the idea of more buttons, but you only have to push them once, instead of hold them, or hitting a series of buttons. Like closed-captioning. I LOVED when Dish finally assigned it to the green button, instead of 6 different button pushes, diving into menus to turn CC on/off. No dedicated button for that anymore? And how to you get quick access to the PIP function?

Awesome that you're enjoying the 52.0! How does the rewind/fast-forward buttons work? I know you press them to jump back/forward and you hold them to rewind/fast-forward, but how long does it take to engage? A second, half-second? Do you just keep holding it down to go faster (15x, 60x, 300x)? How do these buttons function on the guide screen (On the 40.0, jump back/forward went 3 hours forward or backward in time, while fast-forward/rewind went 24 hours back or forward)?

That's pretty cool that it changes the interface depending on the remote!

That's what I was thinking...I kind of like the idea of more buttons, but you only have to push them once, instead of hold them, or hitting a series of buttons. Like closed-captioning. I LOVED when Dish finally assigned it to the green button, instead of 6 different button pushes, diving into menus to turn CC on/off. No dedicated button for that anymore? And how to you get quick access to the PIP function?
The effort to turn CC on and off was one of our big turn offs for the new remote. We line to turn on on occasion if we can't figure out what was said. Click of the green button alot easier than multiple presses on 52 remote plus the annoyance of the popup menu to get to the CC option.

I use pip a lot so I like those dedicated buttons. Don't like input(swap) on the side. Also how do you page up down on 52?
40 has a great design. Easy to memorize and use.
But when the new voice remote comes out I will be forced to use the new style. And yes why are these not Back-lit!?

Reactions: ltownsend
Another question for you H3 early-adopters...I've read in a few other postings that when the installers were unhooking the old DVR (Hopper, Hopper w/ Sling, etc.) and Joeys, they were taking (or at least trying to take) the old 40.0 remotes with them. What the heck are these installers going to do with an old remote that has dirt/grime/god -knows-what on it?!? Is this something that Dish is asking them to do, or does it vary, depending on the installer? I know that I would like to keep my 40.0 remotes, so that I can have one in the family room, one in the kitchen, one in the office, all controlling the Hopper. Anyone have to deal with this?

Another question for you H3 early-adopters...I've read in a few other postings that when the installers were unhooking the old DVR (Hopper, Hopper w/ Sling, etc.) and Joeys, they were taking (or at least trying to take) the old 40.0 remotes with them. What the heck are these installers going to do with an old remote that has dirt/grime/god -knows-what on it?!? Is this something that Dish is asking them to do, or does it vary, depending on the installer? I know that I would like to keep my 40.0 remotes, so that I can have one in the family room, one in the kitchen, one in the office, all controlling the Hopper. Anyone have to deal with this?

Dish has always requested the old remotes get returned, and I have heard that people have been charged for them if they are not returned. That being said, I agree, what good is a nasty used remote?

Reactions: JSheridan
This is the first major change to the remote layout in over 15 years, it will take a bit to get use to it. But I do miss some of the shortcuts. I want to see the fancier touch pad remote, due out in a few months from what I hear.

Nice thing about this thread is that there is no right or wrong answer. Remotes are so much a matter of personal preference. That said, I do really like the size and feel of the new remote - not so much the function(s) - there are just too many things I want to do that used to take a single press and now take several - that's not progress to me. And as someone else said, I really want backlighting.

All due respect :) It does not do all the 40.0 does.

Aside from single button presses for many functions, the 40.0 has an additional programmable Mode to control another AV component.
Are you saying no DVD, or AUX?

The 40.0 has 3(tv,dvd and aux) as the 52.0 only has 2(tv and aux). Of course they both have sat mode.

Well, that will put them straight into a drawer when I get mine next week. That is a head scratching omission.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts