Hopper 3

My first Echostar receiver in 1987/88 was the SR-4500. It was motorized to move a 10 foot c-band mesh dish. You had to put in a cement platform and about 15 ' tall and 8" in diameter pole on which you mounted the 10' mesh dish . It took about a minute to cover the move from the farthest east to farthest west satellite. Each satellite had 24 transponder and many had active programming . If you stayed on a satellite. changing channels was very fast. For a few years most channels were free. The premiums were the first to encrypt and charge. By 1992 most channels were encrypted. It cost about $250 per year per receiver for a subscription service. When Dish's DBS service came out in 1996, I think it was $199 per year and another $5 per month for each additional receiver. Premiums were extra.

Satellite Technology is a Dinosaur. MVDDS is the future.
Multi-Video Data Delivery System; Video Data and wireless communication
Sat TV might be a dinosaur, but for me, at least for now, ATT Uverse, or Spectrum (my only options) are way inferior to Dish. Don't get me wrong Dish has it's issues but at least for now I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
Sat TV might be a dinosaur, but for me, at least for now, ATT Uverse, or Spectrum (my only options) are way inferior to Dish. Don't get wrong Dish has it's issues but at least for now I'm not going anywhere.
Yeah, true that. I was talking about Satellite technology in TV Viewing, specifically. But we still have a few years or so, I'm sure :)

Reactions: Frank Jr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)