Hopper and Joey Energy Usage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Just thought i'd post a report some averages on what i pulled from my kill-a-watt after a few days.

Hopper: 38.1 Watts OR .9132 kWh per day (~28.31 kWh per month)
Joey: 8.3 Watts OR .1997 kWh per day (~6.19 kWh per month)

haven't tried the HIC yet, but i'm assuming it will be pretty low.

feel free to post your results. Just to see how close we all match up.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the wattage usage?

feel free to correct my math, but i get....

Hopper: .91 kWh per day X 1000 / 24 = 38 W
Joey: .24 kWh per day X 1000 / 24 = 10 W

i'll have to re-check the joey numbers as i might have rounded up a little from my original numbers. The Hopper was calculated exactly as it was 2.93 kWh/77 hours.

Your killawatt doesn't have a watt button? Confused....

it does... but it's all the same math... i just clicked it over and it says the same 38 for the hopper.

For my usage, i only care about kWh as i'm tracking the cost per month to see where my $$ are going. I rarely ever need to click the watt button. Based on my local electricity rates, i would say this is about $5 per month of my bill to run 2H/1J (or $60 per year).

Last edited:
That is much lower than I'd have guessed. My Hoppers are running cooler than the 622 and 722k did, but there's still some heat getting generated. It seems like more than 40 watts.

because the hoppers are on 24 / 7 you can count on the wattage usage to be consistent.

do the joey's use the same 10 watts powered on and on standby? I would expect them to be practically 0 when powered down.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for sharing that info.Does anyone know what the 722/612 and 922 average?

do the joey's use the same 10 watts powered on and on standby? I would expect them to be practically 0 when powered down.
someone mentioned in another topic that the joey might only be a watt less on standby.

Haven't doublechecked myself.

it does... but it's all the same math... i just clicked it over and it says the same 38 for the hopper.

For my usage, i only care about kWh as i'm tracking the cost per month to see where my $$ are going. I rarely ever need to click the watt button. Based on my local electricity rates, i would say this is about $5 per month of my bill to run 2H/1J (or $60 per year).

It's actually easier to convert watts into kWh than it is vice versa (at least for me anyway.) 38 watts / 1000 * 24 = 0.912kWh. Idk, perhaps being in the computer business rather than the utility business I tend to prefer watts versus kWh. Not to mention kWh usage changes with the amount of time energy is used, versus the relatively static wattage figure. In this case it is 24 hours since the receivers tend to draw energy constantly.

That being said, last I recall, people have stated that the ViP 722K uses around 50 watts on or off. Thus it is using 1.2kWh per day. I don't know any details about the hopper's hardware, but perhaps there was a die shrink which caused energy consumption and heat to go down.

someone mentioned in another topic that the joey might only be a watt less on standby.

Haven't doublechecked myself.

Joey and Hopper have the same exact hardware (internals - CPU + main board)...only difference is that there's no HDD which can save quite a bit of power when the drive is on and spinning.

Joey and Hopper have the same exact hardware (internals - CPU + main board)...only difference is that there's no HDD which can save quite a bit of power when the drive is on and spinning.

Lets not forget the tuners and the fact that the Hoppers supply power to the dish in a lot of cases. Joeys don't supply power through the coax.

Not quite true. The CPUs are in the same family with similar specs, but the Hopper is about twice as fast. Hopper also has all the tuner circuitry which accounts for a fair amount of the power draw keeping the LNBs up.

That is much lower than I'd have guessed. My Hoppers are running cooler than the 622 and 722k did, but there's still some heat getting generated. It seems like more than 40 watts.
My Hopper measured 43 watts on or off. IIRC, my 922 measured about 50, again on or off.

Sounds pretty close to the HR34 5 tuner box and H25 1 tuner hd boxes for DirecTV. If I remember correctly the H25s pulled between 8 to 10 watts depending if on or off, much like the Joey except they have their own internal tuner. The HR34 pulled around 30 watts with heavy usage. The power inserter pulled around 8 watts so it seems they are pretty close even with more tuners.

Does anyone know how much the power inserters for a DPP44 switch use? I found an old post that said 20W, but that sounded kind of high.

The nice thing with this upgrade is that I was able to drop the DPP44 switch since the new dish had the switch built in. I might save a bit more because of that.

Hopper: 38.1 Watts OR .9132 kWh per day (~28.31 kWh per month)
Joey: 8.3 Watts OR .1997 kWh per day (~6.19 kWh per month)

Updated the Joey numbers a little bit from my first original estimate as it came out a bit lower. If your Joey is more active than mine, then it might be closer 8.4 to 8.5W on average.

The HIC seems to be about 3.9W, so basically half a Joey.

Last edited:
Since I already had the Kill-A-Watt out, i plugged it into the other hopper and it ran 37W on average. About a watt less than the other one. Pretty consistent.

Did anyone else check their system just to get some extra verification?

I used the P4400 Kill A Watt for mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)