Hopper and Joey installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

francjam

Original poster
May 8, 2014
Florida
Recently moved my Hopper and Joey from a professional installation DPP1000 and did a self installation with a DPP44 switch and DP LNB
I believe I am using only two satellite feeds and no Ethernet connection
My problem is after awhile my hopper keeps doing the check switch and it never has tuner 3
My Joey wont connect to the hopper either or when it does it cant auto connect
Any suggestions on what to do?

Do you have a node in your setup? You need that node, and two coaxes from the dish to the node to get all 3 tuners.... and you need that node to get the Joey to talk to the Hopper... Hopper/Joey setups are different than the conventional setups you are used to.

Yes I do have the Node but I get Tuner 1 and 2 but not three, its all detected in Hopper and Joey, they are seeing each other but don't seem to be communicating well

Yes I do have the Node but I get Tuner 1 and 2 but not three, its all detected in Hopper and Joey, they are seeing each other but don't seem to be communicating well
Try using DPP44 output 1 for the power supply only, and ports 2 and 3 to the node, if you haven't already done so.

Also, double check that you have the Hopper (host) and Joey (client) connected to the correct ports from the node.

Finally, recheck your cables and connectors. If you terminated the cables yourself, double-check that the connectors are secure to the cable-ends, that no little strands from the ground/shield are shorting to the center conductor, and that everything is tight at the LNB, switch, node, and receivers. Old barre's can also cause problems, fyi.

I've seen plenty of issues because there are open ports in the system. On that 44 switch, you most likely have 6-7 ports that aren't terminated properly. Having those open will "leak" moca signal and cause the joey to not communicate with the hopper.

Thanks guys, how do you terminate the open ports on the DPP44 switch ? Will change the old barrel ends Gareypen thanks...What if I dont have a power suppy for the switch Garypen, is that a problem?

Yes, no power supply for the 44 switch means there's not enough juice running back to power the lnb. To terminate the open ports, they look like little silver nipples, and the have a stinger in them. I'll post a pic of one.

This is what you need to properly terminate any open ports in a hopper system.

Attachments

• 1402567396766.jpg
    1402567396766.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 118
I setup a downloading station in our shop, to pre download receivers for our techs. I have a 1000.2wa feeding four 44 switches and two duo nodes. It wasn't working right until I capped off EVERY open port on every switch and both nodes.

Dish did my install back when they put in my 622 with a DPP44 and I never had any caps on open ports. Even the auditor did not require them when he came by and made them re-do the grounding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts