Hopper and Joey watching same show?? Mirror??

I just double-checked this. People are getting me confused talking about OTA adapters, RF modulators, etc, etc.

The living room TV was on (this is where the Hopper is too). I went up to our bedroom, turned on the Joey, hit the Option key, then TV Activity, picked whatever tuner it was that said "Family room", then picked the "Join" option. I was now watching the same thing as what's on the other TV. They are FULLY sync'd too - I paused the bedroom showing, went downstairs, and it was paused.

You can have fun with this too, by the way !
Do you have Hopper 3 or HWS with the new CUI? If the Hopper is watching a recording can the Joey join that too?

Do you have Hopper 3 or HWS with the new CUI? If the Hopper is watching a recording can the Joey join that too?
There is no way to know whether another rooms is Viewing a recording without going into the DVR menu and from there watch it.

As far as it being Mirrored from Hopper -Joey that can only happen if you are recording it LIVE and there is an actual tuner being used.
Then certainly you can Join .

But there is no option to have it 100% sync unless you are running back and forth and FF the Joey to where the Hopper or Joey is during the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
There is no way to know whether another rooms is Viewing a recording.
You would have to go into the recording manually and from there watch it.
As far as it being Mirrored from Hopper -Joey that can only happen if you are recording it LIVE and there is an actual tuner being used.

Then As Hall stated you can go into the Tuner Activity screen and choose.
Thanks, I was hoping that the Hopper 3 had a true recording sync to the Joey.

Thanks, I was hoping that the Hopper 3 had a true recording sync to the Joey.
Only on an active live tuner.

Otherwise you are not Automatically synchronization From Hopper -Joey during playback.
There isn't even an option.
You can get close within 20 seconds, But thats it.

Unless you FF or RR one of them.

Now if you stop playback in one room, you can resume in another.

Only on an active live tuner.

Otherwise you are not Automatically synchronization From Hopper -Joey during playback.
There isn't even an option.
You can get close within 20 seconds, But thats it.
Unless you FF or RR one of them.

Now if you stop playback in one room, you can resume in another.
Yep, I want a true recording sync to other TVs. When I upgrade to Hopper 3s I am going to install my RF modulators on them.

Correction
This is how you know what someone is playing.
But you still can't Sync them 100%
My Joey is actually 10 seconds ahead of the Hopper by resume from Hopper3
20170104_082622.jpg

Yep, I want a true recording sync to other TVs. When I upgrade to Hopper 3s I am going to install my RF modulators on them.
Yes you would need to go old school for that.
I'm not even sure if a Tivo and Mini can do this.
I'll admit, I've never tried it.
And Honestly never had a need to.

I can only be in one room at a time anyway .
And if we all wanted to watch the same program in separate rooms we would do this depending on what the circumstances were current at the time.
We definitely wouldn't need it to be mirrored.

Yes you would need to go old school for that.
I'm not even sure if a Tivo and Mini can do this.
I'll admit, I've never tried it.
And Honestly never had a need to.

I can only be in one room at a time anyway .
And if we all wanted to watch the same program in separate rooms we would do this depending on what the circumstances were current at the time.
We definitely wouldn't need it to be mirrored.
My wife and I do a lot of recording syncing. I can be in my man cave and she is at the main Hopper so we sync the same recording. Sometimes I am at the main Hopper and my wife might be in her craft room in the basement so we will watch a recording synced together. All my Hoppers can sync to all of our 10 TVs thru out our home. It has come in handy lots of times for us. It was a big setback for us switching from 722ks to HWSs that didn't have the built in modulators. But I concurred the issue by installing RF modulators.

Reactions: Troch77
My wife and I do a lot of recording syncing. I can be in my man cave and she is at the main Hopper so we sync the same recording. Sometimes I am at the main Hopper and my wife might be in her craft room in the basement so we will watch a recording synced together. All my Hoppers can sync to all of our 10 TVs thru out our home. It has come in handy lots of times for us. It was a big setback for us switching from 722ks to HWSs that didn't have the built in modulators. But I concurred the issue by installing RF modulators.
Hey thats awesome.
And if Dish had the option I would welcome it.
Features are nice.

So far in the 3 weeks with the H3, we've only used 8 tuners at the same time.
And thats with PTA .
Been Okay so far.

I've seen a PQ glitch so far.
Not sure if its a normal function,
But the Motions are sometimes Juddery.

And after seeing a few complain about H3 PQ, I'm noticing a few things myself.
I'M still using U334, so I wonder if another software update will remedy my PQ concerns.
But I'm scared to use U336.

i do own a modulator, separate from the 722k,. it runs to my distribution panel for tvs like the bathroom, exercise room, and some other rooms that do not have boxes.

hearing conflicting information on this one, but appreciate it all nonetheless. i'll play with the setup this afternoon and see how it goes. it will be a learning curve for sure.

Hey thats awesome.
And if Dish had the option I would welcome it.
Features are nice.

So far in the 3 weeks with the H3, we've only used 8 tuners at the same time.
And thats with PTA .
Been Okay so far.

I've seen a PQ glitch so far.
Not sure if its a normal function,
But the Motions are sometimes Juddery.

And after seeing a few complain about H3 PQ, I'm noticing a few things myself.
I'M still using U334, so I wonder if another software update will remedy my PQ concerns.
But I'm scared to use U336.
I can't wait to upgrade to Hopper 3s. I am hoping Scott hears something about the DPH42 switch at the CES.

i do own a modulator, separate from the 722k,. it runs to my distribution panel for tvs like the bathroom, exercise room, and some other rooms that do not have boxes.

hearing conflicting information on this one, but appreciate it all nonetheless. i'll play with the setup this afternoon and see how it goes. it will be a learning curve for sure.
I am pretty sure your modulator should work ok from the Hopper 3 with the exception of anything 4k.

I am pretty sure your modulator should work ok from the Hopper 3 with the exception of anything 4k.

the modulator is analog, thats why i was hoping for a box to box sync option. we'll see. plus there is only 1 coax at both joey locations, so backfeeding is out, and the modulator to the joey tv is out.
it still will work great to my other non box locations.

the modulator is analog, thats why i was hoping for a box to box sync option. we'll see. plus there is only 1 coax at both joey locations, so backfeeding is out, and the modulator to the joey tv is out.
it still will work great to my other non box locations.
Understand, Wireless Joeys might be the way to go if you can work that out. I have two WJs at TVs with only one coax so it worked out good for me. I understand the analog issue. It would be nice if DISH could provide a syncing of Hopper to Joey. That would be awesome.

Pushing all the wrong buttons on the new remotes, lol also purchased a 50 and 40. Remote

Now, on to see why my ehd doesn't show up on the new h3, ahh the joys of new stuff, lol
Watching shows on my 722k now, on the ehd

There is a way to join another location for viewing, I'll play with that more. Looks like what I was looking for

Pushing all the wrong buttons on the new remotes, lol also purchased a 50 and 40. Remote

There is a way to join another location for viewing, I'll play with that more. Looks like what I was looking for
Well yes, Thats what everyone has been saying, but thats on LIVE TV. NOT a recording which is what you asked.

There is no way to Mirror recording playback without manual, visual ,or just plain old put your ear to the ground and try and match where the playback currently is during playback in an another room.
The closest I could get was 10 seconds using "Resume" from Hopper3 location to a remote Joey location.

Of course you both can watch the same recording off your entire system at the same time.
But its not the same as a Joined Live Recording or regular Live TV.

Well yes, Thats what everyone has been saying, but thats on LIVE TV. NOT a recording which is what you asked.

There is no way to Mirror recording playback without manual, visual ,or just plain old put your ear to the ground and try and match where the playback currently is during playback in an another room.
The closest I could get was 10 seconds using "Resume" from Hopper3 location to a remote Joey location.

Of course you both can watch the same recording off your entire system at the same time.
But its not the same as a Joined Live Recording or regular Live TV.

LOL !!! well shoot, i got excited joining a tuner, thought it would be the same, looks like it is not. of well. not a huge deal, the wife can FF while cooking as a lounge in the basement right ?? lol
i did get my modulator rewired, and up and running, so that works for boxless rooms,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)