Hopper and Tailgater News

Its legacy because it only looks at one satellite. If it was dpp it would look at more than one satellite and be compatable with dpp receivers like 722 or any other dual tuner. A dish 300 with a legacy lnb will work with a dpp ird, (which is what a tailgater is) but its not appropriate for that situation even with "limited functionality".

Its legacy because it only looks at one satellite. If it was dpp it would look at more than one satellite and be compatable with dpp receivers like 722 or any other dual tuner. but its not appropriate for that situation even with "limited functionality".

..Its legacy because it only looks at one satellite.. A Tailgater is just a modified lower cost version of a VuCube and like most portable and fixed units, it uses a legacy LNBF to make it compatible with all receivers from all providers. The Tailgater looks at 1 satellite not because it is Legacy but because it uses a single LNBF. Remember, Legacy Twin LNBF's look at 2 sats.

I have several customers that feel the "limited Dual Tuner functionality" of the Winegard is very appropriate and would have chosen the lower priced Tailgater had it featured the same.

Because it is just a renamed VuCube it's not gonna happen but, I would think that if the tailgater used a Legacy Dual LNBF or had an integrated switch,
it "could" support dual tuner receivers

Last edited:
See and here we go again, I listen to people on this forum and they are wrong again. They are just sure dish will not allow a VIP receiver on a hopper account ever. I have to stop ever listening to people here, Because dish does change there minds often.

See and here we go again, I listen to people on this forum and they are wrong again. They are just sure dish will not allow a VIP receiver on a hopper account ever. I have to stop ever listening to people here, Because dish does change there minds often.

Somewhat valid point, but I think you will find most meant on the Hopper account to be used in your home. It isn't clear but I think Dish is making this as hard as possible to be used in the home. Scott hinted early on there may be a solution for those with an RV.

Whoa! What are you talking about? Obviously Dish can change whatever they want but currently the Tailgater only works with one type of receiver and they have a good reason for it. I'm not sure what you're upset about.

thxtech said:
Its legacy because it only looks at one satellite. If it was dpp it would look at more than one satellite and be compatable with dpp receivers like 722 or any other dual tuner. A dish 300 with a legacy lnb will work with a dpp ird, (which is what a tailgater is) but its not appropriate for that situation even with "limited functionality".

Dish pro plus does not mean it looks at more than one satellite. Dish pro plus means it has a switch built inside the LNBF that allows for band stacking (2 tuners on 1 coax).

Although there are no dish pro plus single LNBF's.

If 'legacy' means it only looks at 1 satellite then why are their legacy twins and quads which pick up both 110 and 119?

Last edited:
He's referring to the Dish policy of not allowing a VIP receiver on a Hopper account. They are allowing it now but not how most of us were referring to, many said Dish may never allow it, for various reasons. I think the spirit of that still stands, you can't put a VIP receiver on a Hopper account for use in the house. Many of us thought Dish would have to come up with some solution for the RV to avoid having to have two accounts.

Scherrman said:
Whoa! What are you talking about? Obviously Dish can change whatever they want but currently the Tailgater only works with one type of receiver and they have a good reason for it. I'm not sure what you're upset about.

A tailgater will work with every single receiver besides hopper. It will only supply signal to one tuner at a time. So you run the cable to satellite input 1 on your box without a seperator or triplexer and you run a checkswitch and viola you have TV, just not able to use both tuners.

ZachS@DISH Network said:
The 211k is the only receiver that has the software to control the Tailgater.

I believe the 211k is the only receiver supported. However every receiver has software capable of using a sw64 switch, which is what the checkswitch returns it using. Hooked up many dual tuner receivers to a wineguard or kingdome dish which the tailgater is just a cheaper version.

The software referred to is to direct the dish, to aim it. Only the ViP211K has that. Well, maybe the ViP211 also.

I believe a recheck of reality will find there is special software in the VIP211K that drives the Tailgater which has some of the Winegard logic removed. The two worked together, period.

And dish didn't throw the doors open to having VIP receivers on a Hopper account. You can have a purchased VIP211K on a Hopper account.

There was so much squawking about having a part-time RV solution for a Hopper account and Dish provided one. And there every iteration of working around the plan starts. No wonder Dish wanted to just say no.