Hopper and Tailgater News

Compatible is, it will work, does not mean all features will work. For instance, the GM "On Star" is compatible with most newer cars, you can buy it and install it, it will work. But, not like it does when it comes installed in a GM car. It will not support all the features.

A tailgater will work with every single receiver besides hopper. It will only supply signal to one tuner at a time. So you run the cable to satellite input 1 on your box without a seperator or triplexer and you run a checkswitch and viola you have TV, just not able to use both tuners.

I don't think so...... ;)

Compatible is, it will work, does not mean all features will work. For instance, the GM "On Star" is compatible with most newer cars, you can buy it and install it, it will work. But, not like it does when it comes installed in a GM car. It will not support all the features.

If you're going to answer for someone else, why not keep your response relevant to the discussion at hand? If I want to learn about Onstar, I'll go to the appropriate website.

My question was "what does compatible mean in this case". Either the receivers have the ability to control the tailgater or they don't. The VIP211K has the software installed which will tell the Tailgater which satellite to move to. Will the 411 or 211 also do that? I don't know, but ever since the Tailgater came out I have followed it's marketing. Many retailers have sold it with the understanding that it is "compatible" with those three receivers. So, will it or not, and what features might be missing.

Your question was answered.
The 211k is the only receiver that has the software to control the Tailgater.

So you asked in this case what does compatible mean. Going by the DIRT response, it means you will get some features, like being able to actually get a signal, but it won't have the software to control the aiming. Like the On Star example, some features will work, some won't. Compatible by the way does mean exact.
Even the Dish website is a little unlclear, only saying the other models "can be used."
Next time make it clear you only want a specific person to answer and I won't waste my time. :drama:

Last edited:
Your question was answered.

So you asked in this case what does compatible mean. Going by the DIRT response, it means you will get some features, like being able to actually get a signal, but it won't have the software to control the aiming. Like the On Star example, some features will work, some won't. Compatible by the way does mean exact.
Even the Dish website is a little unlclear, only saying the other models "can be used."
Next time make it clear you only want a specific person to answer and I won't waste my time. :drama:

I did direct my question toward a specific person, pabeader. His previous post indicated to me that he might know what the compatibility issues are. However, I don't mind someone else responding if they know the answer. Your response was just a guess. I can guess as well as you.

The manufacturer, King Controls, also lists those other receivers as compatible. I doubt that they would market it that way if it wasn't functional and useable. I have an inquiry in to them, hopefully they will respond. I suspect that when the Tailgater was originally designed by the manufacturer, they intended that it could be used by all three receivers. Of course, that would depend on Dish writing software for all three. Without specific Tailgater software, those other two receivers would be useless. Dish may have decided to not.

At least you and I agree on one thing, your previous post on this matter was a waste of time, both yours and mine. :)

The following was copied from an 11/4/11 summary of the 11/2/11 Retailer Chat.
I have not confirmed if L564 was ever rolled out though.

Tailgater by DISH Network – Now Compatible with model Vip® 211, 411, as well as ViP 211k Receivers

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]This portable lightweight antenna is perfect for customers who do not want to deal with multiple cables and power sources, as they enjoy TV while being outside camping, fishing, and tailgating. And now it’s compatible with model ViP 211 and 411 receivers!

Now Works with the Model ViP 211 and 411 Receivers, as well as ViP 211k Receivers!

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Necessary software for ViP 211 and 411 receivers – L564.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Existing customers with a ViP 211 or 411 receiver on their account will receive an automatic software download within the next 30 days.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

As I earlier stated, I sent an inquiry to King Controls. I have received a response. Here is my message to them and their response. I can't attest to it's accuracy.

Your website says the Tailgater will work with the VIP211K, VIP211, or 411 receivers. Is that accurate? Is there any reduced functionality when using the 211 or 411 instead of the 211K with
the Tailgater?

Thanks.

The Tailgater will work just fine with the 211 or 411. The 211K is suggested so you can take advantage of Dish Network HD. So I guess there is a reduced functionality in that sense if you chose to go with the 211 or 411.

Regards,
King Controls

They did not say, but is the 211 usable only on the tailgater portable dish, and not to be connected to your home Dish/Hopper system?
That would be hard to swallow.... Dish wants full price for the 211k and then will restrict customers to use it only with a Tailgater ? For some people, that might only be a dozen times a year.

The Tailgater will work just fine with the 211 or 411. The 211K is suggested so you can take advantage of Dish Network HD. So I guess there is a reduced functionality in that sense if you chose to go with the 211 or 411.

Regards,
King Controls

That is just so WRONG! The only difference between the 211 and 211k is color and size. The only difference between a 411 and 211 is the lack of a network interface on the 411. All 3 receivers are HD receivers, so there is no "reduced functionality" to speak of. Unless somebody has found a significant use for the network interface on the 211/k out in the sticks. ;)

Last edited:
That is just so WRONG! The only difference between the 211 and 211k is color and size. The only difference between a 411 and 211 is the lack of a network interface on the 411. All 3 receivers are HD receivers, so there is no "reduced functionality" to speak of. Unless somebody has found a significant use for the network interface on the 211/k out in the sticks. ;)

Thanks for your response. When I first got my Tailgater, I had an issue with it resetting every morning when I turned it on. Dish techies referred me to King Controls, King referred me to Dish. It's difficult to know what is accurate or not.

A tailgater will work with every single receiver besides hopper. It will only supply signal to one tuner at a time. So you run the cable to satellite input 1 on your box without a seperator or triplexer and you run a checkswitch and viola you have TV, just not able to use both tuners.

Are you sure? Have you actually tried this? I haven't tried any other receivers but that's because I don't know how it would be possible for them to work. The Tailgater may have been made by the same company that makes the VuQube but it is not the same product. The Vuqubes have software built in that allows them to be compatible with different receivers from different providers. The Tailgater does not have any of that. Only the 211k, 211 and 411 receivers have the software in them to run the Tailgater. If you connected another receiver to the Tailgater I really don't think it would search for the satellites for you. I do not know of any way to manually point it.

In fairness to King Controls, I sent them another email suggesting they follow up on their previous advice. Here is the most recent response I got from them.

"The 211, 211k, and 411 are all HD receivers and all have the available software to operate with the Tailgater systems. The 211k is just a newer version of the 211 in which they use a different casing and I believe some alternate hardware and layout on the internal components of the receiver. The operation is the same will be the same for any of the three receivers."

King Controls

Now that this is available I am planning on having an EA dish installed at my cabin on the lake in Northern Michigan sometime in the next few weeks. My neighbor up here has a 211 and he still gets our flint locals back home which is about a four hour drive away so that's why I want EA.

Since its Saturday I was only able to get a hold of one installer. He says that they usually do WA installs here and EA dishes are more expensive so he wants to charge extra. It would probably have to be pole mounted to get under the trees and aim out over the lake but I should have a fine line of sight. There is a chance it could go on the roof but I'm not sure if the trees are too low. My next door neighbor has his pole mounted and we have similar properties and line of sight.

The house is extremely close to the lake and the cable would only have to run about 25 feet to reach the tv with plenty of slack. He says it will be about $250 to $300 plus another $150 to buy the 211k. I told him to forget buying the receiver because I know I can get one myself for less than that. This makes me question the rest of his pricing though. Is $250 to $300 reasonable for this kind of install or should I be looking elsewhere?

king3pj said:
Now that this is available I am planning on having an EA dish installed at my cabin on the lake in Northern Michigan sometime in the next few weeks. My neighbor up here has a 211 and he still gets our flint locals back home which is about a four hour drive away so that's why I want EA.

Since its Saturday I was only able to get a hold of one installer. He says that they usually do WA installs here and EA dishes are more expensive so he wants to charge extra. It would probably have to be pole mounted to get under the trees and aim out over the lake but I should have a fine line of sight. There is a chance it could go on the roof but I'm not sure if the trees are too low. My next door neighbor has his pole mounted and we have similar properties and line of sight.

The house is extremely close to the lake and the cable would only have to run about 25 feet to reach the tv with plenty of slack. He says it will be about $250 to $300 plus another $150 to buy the 211k. I told him to forget buying the receiver because I know I can get one myself for less than that. This makes me question the rest of his pricing though. Is $250 to $300 reasonable for this kind of install or should I be looking elsewhere?

A little of subject, but talking about northern Michigan cabin sounds great, I will be in Frankfurt in July and boyne in August, can't wait :)

There's nothing else like it. I'm up there now. Our place is in Cheboygan about 20 minutes from Mackinaw.

This isn't really the place for tv but we just want it for tigers games and other random sporting events like tonight's game seven playoff basketball game. For only $7 a month and being able to keep it active only during the summer months I figured it was worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)