Hopper and ViP questions

SpHeRe31459

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I'm new to dealing with Dish, I have lots of experience with cable TV, but my in-laws have Dish and I'm the tech savvy person who they ask for help when it comes to computers & home theater stuff.

Is it known what the reason is for not allowing mixing of ViPs and the Hopper/Joey system? Is it technical? or just a billing issue or something?

For their uses it would seems to make more sense to keep their dedicated ViP 211 that is in their children's playroom (it is on constantly, so a tuner would always be in use, and they don't care about a DVR for that room), and then add a Hopper and Joey for their front room and master bedroom, they also need to add a new reciever to a guest room, and they asked me what was the best setup.

I've been assuming that they could add the Hopper/Joey setup to their current Dish eco-system and just have it replace their old DVR in their master bedroom and their old receiver and TiVo Series 2 setup in their front room. They end up recording everything twice, so they can watch shows in either room. So I'm now at a loss, what to do for them. Any suggestions?

Current setup:
*Old single-tuner SD DishDVR 510 in master bedroom
*Very old single-tuner Dish 2800 receiver connected to old TiVo Series 2 in front room
Single-tuner ViP 211 in play room

*Was hoping to replace these two with Hopper and a Joey

They need to add another receiver in a back guest room that they're renting out to a local college student. So it should be a standalone set-top box, since they wouldn't really want to share a DVR with a tenant. But I guess there cannot be a mix of receiver types... so I'm not sure what do for them. Also I was hoping that the Hopper/Joey setup would also let them save a bit of money, since they're looking for ways to save money on their bills too.

Last edited:
I think its more of a technical issue with the switches and the nodes

Thanks for the quick reply. So isn't the only real difference with the Hopper/Joey setup that MoCA is passed through the switches? If so, why not just do something like they do in the cable TV world and put a MoCA trap on the either side of the cable runs that have the Hopper and Joey(s). Then the ViPs would work normally, no?

It's not a technical issue. The other receivers would just have to come off before the node. The issue is that Dish will not currently allow you to have a mixed system. They will tell you that your current receivers are incompatable with the H/J system which is not technically true, but right now they are just not alllowing a set up like that. If you had the H/J system installed you might be able to establish another account for the two other receivers. That of course would cost more money. If you could do that you could use the same dish, tap off before the node, and install those receivers. At least that's how I see it.

You could get a 2H/2J system and give the college student their own Hopper and keep a Hopper and 2 Joeys on their side. When the software upgrade integrating hoppers is released, just get an isolator to keep the student separate, or just install that way to start. Fees would be $6 DVR, $4 whole home and 3 X $7 additional outlet for $31 total. I assume they would pass some cost to the student for his access to this high end TV system.

I'm new to dealing with Dish, I have lots of experience with cable TV, but my in-laws have Dish and I'm the tech savvy person who they ask for help when it comes to computers & home theater stuff.

Is it known what the reason is for not allowing mixing of ViPs and the Hopper/Joey system? Is it technical? or just a billing issue or something?

For their uses it would seems to make more sense to keep their dedicated ViP 211 that is in their children's playroom (it is on constantly, so a tuner would always be in use, and they don't care about a DVR for that room), and then add a Hopper and Joey for their front room and master bedroom, they also need to add a new reciever to a guest room, and they asked me what was the best setup.

I've been assuming that they could add the Hopper/Joey setup to their current Dish eco-system and just have it replace their old DVR in their master bedroom and their old receiver and TiVo Series 2 setup in their front room. They end up recording everything twice, so they can watch shows in either room. So I'm now at a loss, what to do for them. Any suggestions?

Current setup:
*Old single-tuner SD DishDVR 510 in master bedroom
*Very old single-tuner Dish 2800 receiver connected to old TiVo Series 2 in front room
Single-tuner ViP 211 in play room

*Was hoping to replace these two with Hopper and a Joey

They need to add another receiver in a back guest room that they're renting out to a local college student. So it should be a standalone set-top box, since they wouldn't really want to share a DVR with a tenant. But I guess there cannot be a mix of receiver types... so I'm not sure what do for them. Also I was hoping that the Hopper/Joey setup would also let them save a bit of money, since they're looking for ways to save money on their bills too.

It's not technical. If you have a mixed system, you have to have a separate account for the ViP and it has to ran from the switch excluded from the Node.

You could get a 2H/2J system and give the college student their own Hopper and keep a Hopper and 2 Joeys on their side. When the software upgrade integrating hoppers is released, just get an isolator to keep the student separate, or just install that way to start. Fees would be $6 DVR, $4 whole home and 3 X $7 additional outlet for $31 total. I assume they would pass some cost to the student for his access to this high end TV system.

Yeah, I was considering that, what would the equipment costs be up front? From reading around it sounds costly to go with 2 Hoppers.

It's not technical. If you have a mixed system, you have to have a separate account for the ViP and it has to ran from the switch excluded from the Node.

Yeah that's kind of what I would imagine for the wiring. But what I don't get (and this is purely academic at this point since having 2 accounts is silly and won't be happening) is why it would require two accounts, the equipment is all connected to the same dish and the ViPs would all have smart cards that were associated with the account, so I'm at a loss as to why it's a problem for Dish to bill it.

Yeah that's kind of what I would imagine for the wiring. But what I don't get (and this is purely academic at this point since having 2 accounts is silly and won't be happening) is why it would require two accounts, the equipment is all connected to the same dish and the ViPs would all have smart cards that were associated with the account, so I'm at a loss as to why it's a problem for Dish to bill it.

You got me. Maybe they want to start migrating everyone over to the new system. I have no clue.

Everyone I've talked to including the dish repair man has told me not to get to excited about it because after this original craziness they might allow the VIP series. Maybe now that's just hoping and waiting though.

Everyone I've talked to including the dish repair man has told me not to get to excited about it because after this original craziness they might allow the VIP series. Maybe now that's just hoping and waiting though.

Ya never know. The ability is there so Dish can always change their mind on the rule. Same thing with the fewer Joeys than Hopper rule.

I recommend, if at all possible, waiting 3 months or so for the dust to settle and system kinks to be worked out.

And - no need to share with Dish that part of the install is for a tenant.

What the OP has now is a total of three tuners and two DVRs.

A Hopper + 2 Joeys would be a complete replacement of the existing system, all HD, with no loss of functionality or tuners.

Unfortunately this does not address the guest room scenario, your options are an additional Joey and share the tuners and DVR recordings, an additional Hopper isolated, or a separate account for that receiver. All but one of which are much more expensive than just adding one more receiver to the existing setup. Isolated or not would depend on the trustworthyness of the tenant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts