Hopper Announcements

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yep. Dish causes account churn by being petty charging $99 when they still get that 2 year contact.

For some perspective, price a 2TB drive these days. That alone will cost $99 for a company buying in bulk if they didn't have a guaranteed price contract before the flooding in Thailand spiked disk prices.

No you dont "have to" just keep your setup as you have it now and you don't "have to" pay more.

You only "have to" pay more if you really want to upgrade, but no one is forcing anyone to upgrade.

I'll agree that no one is forcing anyone to upgrade. However, I get the impression that it is Dish's goal to make this their flagship product and get as many subs using the system as they could. While no one is being forced to switch it seems like they may be "pushed" in that direction. Vivek Khemka seemed to suggest that this would be very aggressively priced which doesn't look that way to me. I don't think the costs and fees are outrageous, but they aren't 'aggressive' by any stretch.

Remember Vivek dosen't control the pricing, he is the tech guy (and I guess also the marking guy)...

I know the pricing was pushed up a little because the price of hard drives went up by a GREAT deal. They need to recoup those costs.

I understand that the hard drive shortage isn't doing anything to help the pricing. I guess I was hoping that the fees would be lower. I am ok with the equipment costs (although I still get irritated that new customers get such great deals) but the fees are what surprised me. The equipment pricing might go down after the shortage but fees are usually here to stay.

I understand that the hard drive shortage isn't doing anything to help the pricing. I guess I was hoping that the fees would be lower. I am ok with the equipment costs (although I still get irritated that new customers get such great deals) but the fees are what surprised me. The equipment pricing might go down after the shortage but fees are usually here to stay.

Agreed. There are no hard drives in the Joeys after all...

I was very surprised at the cost of the Joeys. From what I've heard there is not much involved with the development of them. $99 seem a little high considering it does not have a tuner.

I have no problem with the upgrade fees. things cost money, BUT

they should include 1 joey within the additional hopper upgrade fee + DVR and entire home DVR fees.

So, for me (one 722K for one hdtv and one sdtv)

it should be $99 to upgrade to hopper and one joey with the $6 dollar DVR fee + the $4 whole house DVR fee. There should be NO monthly fees for your first joey.

This way they are getting 99 dollars from me for the upgrade, they are also getting $10 dollars instead of $6 for DVR services every month.

they get an increase for equipment fees and also monthly fees, with out going from $6 to $17 monthly fees plus 99 dollars upgrade. This is too much....

go ahead and rip me again guys...:rant:

I wish the first Joey would be free too and I think it would've been a home run for most people here. I understand the way they priced it though. The way I look at it, it cost the same as it would to have 2 TVs in HD now. The first receiver is part of your programming fee and the second HD receiver would be $7 or $10 if you wanted it to be another DVR. So if a person wanted a two room HD setup with DVR they would currently pay $10 for the 612 and $6 for the DVR fee. They could have a 722k and a 612 for a total of three tuners and both TVs in HD BUT the two TVs would not share their recorded content.

Now that same customer could go to a Hopper and Joey set up for their two HDTVS. You pay $10 for the DVR fee and $7 for the Joey. Same extra costs but now you get PTAT and get to share content between your TVs. Why wouldn't you want more for the same price? All I've been hearing is how it's crazy for Dish to charge for a Joey when all I see is a very comparable price structure but you get more in return.

This may not work in every TV configuration though.

For a 2-TV setup, some people place a higher value on having an HD feed instead of an SD feed, so they add another HD DVR to their setup. Me, I place more value on having my content centrally located. So I live with 2 TVs (1HD, 1SD) that can share all content. $10 extra for a 612 to get a 2nd HD feed but lose the central content management isn't worth it to me. Now with Hopper I can, but for 2 TVs my price goes up $11. I've said this before in other threads: for that $11/mo all I gain is HD instead of SD on the 2nd TV. PTAT? meh

For a 2-TV setup, some people place a higher value on having an HD feed instead of an SD feed, so they add another HD DVR to their setup. Me, I place more value on having my content centrally located. So I live with 2 TVs (1HD, 1SD) that can share all content. $10 extra for a 612 to get a 2nd HD feed but lose the central content management isn't worth it to me. Now with Hopper I can, but for 2 TVs my price goes up $11. I've said this before in other threads: for that $11/mo all I gain is HD instead of SD on the 2nd TV. PTAT? meh

To be fair in your comparison, the H/J system offers many more features than the 2 you list. I won't list them here as they have been listed countless times allready.

I was very surprised at the cost of the Joeys. From what I've heard there is not much involved with the development of them. $99 seem a little high considering it does not have a tuner.

I agree, but remember if Dish wants to play with the cost it will be easier to do so by starting high and then adding promos when/if they want to. All hell would break loose if they started at $49.99 and then raised the price later.

I know all the fervor here is for "1st Joey Free," but if I were Dish, I would definitely charge for the first additional outlet. Most will definitely pay for their 2nd primary TV. I would try a promo to encourage additional outlets past two by reducing the fees for the 3rd and 4th outlets, ie 1 Joey for $7, 2 for $12, 3 for $16. Try making the additional outlets look like a value and see if you get more takers.

They could have a 722k and a 612 for a total of three tuners and both TVs in HD BUT the two TVs would not share their recorded content... Why wouldn't you want more for the same price?

It's not quite the same price, and you've miscounted your tuners! 2 sat and potentially 2 more OTA in the 722k, plus 2 more sat and 1 OTA in the 612, gives you at least 4 tuners, not 3 as stated above. Counting OTA too gives those two receivers 7 tuners. Counting the H/J as "3" of course discounts the H/J PTA feature. So... Continuing on that particular trade, the plusses on the H/J are well known. The minuses include lack of OTA (now), a missing 3rd independently-controllable SD TV output, far fewer tuners, and one more $/mo.

I have to agree on the pricing. I currently have a 622 and 722 feeding two HDTV and two SDTV's. I pay $23 a month and have 4 Tunners

Now for the new system I would need one Hopper and three Joeys. This is going to cost $31 and only give me 3 Tunners. So I am paying more for less.

Don't tell me about the you are getting HD on all 4. HD is hear and the standard now, now reason for us to be paying extra for it. We don't pay extra for the programming, so why should we for equipment to receive that programming?

Actally now that I think about it can you run three Joeys on a Hopper and watch 4 different live shows at the same time, it only has 3 tunners.

So that mean for my 4 TV's I would have to get two Hoppers and two Joeys, that means it is going to be way more expensive then my 622/722 combo I have now.......

It all depends on what shows and channels you want to watch live at the same time. For me, the only time I have an issue at all with contentions it is prime time and cause by 2 or more broadcast channels having something on I want to watch.

I can switch out my 6 tuners (3 HR24s) from D* with one Hopper and one Joey and effectively have more tuners when I need to.

It's not quite the same price, and you've miscounted your tuners! 2 sat and potentially 2 more OTA in the 722k, plus 2 more sat and 1 OTA in the 612, gives you at least 4 tuners, not 3 as stated above. Counting OTA too gives those two receivers 7 tuners. Counting the H/J as "3" of course discounts the H/J PTA feature. So... Continuing on that particular trade, the plusses on the H/J are well known. The minuses include lack of OTA (now), a missing 3rd independently-controllable SD TV output, far fewer tuners, and one more $/mo.

You're right on the 612. Forgot that it actually has 2 tuners. I do not count the OTA tuners because most customers are not aware of it nor care about it.

What I'm trying to decide right now is when I upgrade to the Hopper system what configuration do I go with. I have 4 HDTVs and it seems to make sense having 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. Originally I was going to get 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. I might as well go with the 2 Hoppers if the monthly cost is the same.

We have 4 hdtv's and a sd lcd monitor in the kitchen. 1 tv rarely gets watched. I would go the 2/2 setup and get a small hdtv for the kitchen. If I wanted to use the tv downstairs, I would just take one of the Joey's down. However, I pospone any upgrade till the ota module comes out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)