Hopper Announcements

I
I'm expecting that I'll get a noticeable improvement in picture quality (and maybe better surround sound quality) from the Hopper that will replace my aging 722.
And I expect you will be sorely disappointed. PQ has LITTLE to do with receiver hardware.

Last edited:
And I expect you will be sorely disappointed. PQ has LITTLE to do with receiver hardware.

Perhaps disappointed, but certainly not "sorely." ;) I'll be happy enough with the Hopper/Joey upgrade in terms of improved user interface, PTAT, and the whole home DVR features. Better PQ would be nice, but I'm overall actually pretty pleased with the 722's PQ. Admittedly, the Comcast basic cable (which I just cancelled for a yearly $180 savings) HD PQ, going directly into my Samsung TV, was very nice and better than the 722, but without a DVR attached, it was more or less useless for me anyway. And Comcast's DVRs are horrible.

Just curious about something that you more experienced folks might know. One thing about the 722 that's always bothered me a bit is the obvious compression banding and artifacting you see, for example in darker scenes and with backgrounds of the same color. The improvement in PQ I was guessing at was due to improved receiver processor speed or codecs; after all, the 722 was introduced in 2007. Has PQ really not improved at all in terms of receiver hardware in five years? We've seen lots better PQ in BluRay players over that same period of time.

I think that the quality has more to do with compresion used in transmiting the signal then the equipment. Untill their is more band width (more sats) they have to compress to get all of thoose channels in their the nobody wants....

Just wanted to say that we placed our order for our first inventory of Hopper equipment. Just started with 4 Hoppers for now. I'm hoping that we get our shipment on the 8th or 9th. I'd like to have our showroom up and running before the 15th.

Just wanted to say that we placed our order for our first inventory of Hopper equipment. Just started with 4 Hoppers for now. I'm hoping that we get our shipment on the 8th or 9th. I'd like to have our showroom up and running before the 15th.

Damn, I wish the retailers in my area were as on top of it as you. They don't even know about the pricing yet.

Well for some it's just a job but I like to think of it as a bit of a hobby too. I just love new and exciting products that we sell. I get excited when we get new TVs in stock too.

All I can say about pq is that each time I upgraded to the newest HD receiver , I saw better picture quality than I had before. I think it is because the newest receiver gets the latest most advanced chip sets. I saw a better pq on my 922 than my 722k had ,but I was willing to go back to the 722k because of all the glitches ,and bugs and limitations the 922 had at the time.

So much to doubt - 722k and 922 has same central core. E.G decoders, deinterlacers, rescalers, etc.

Personal perception has nothing to do with the HW.

So much to doubt - 722k and 922 has same central core. E.G decoders, deinterlacers, rescalers, etc.

Personal perception has nothing to do with the HW.

Well picture quality is subjective. I saw a difference in pq over the 722, that I replaced with a 722k and when I went with a 922 , I saw a difference too. I say having the latest chip sets makes the picture quality look better to me. The graphics in the 922 were created for an hd tv and were the first upgrade for graphics in a long time.

Well picture quality is subjective. I saw a difference in pq over the 722, that I replaced with a 722k and when I went with a 922 , I saw a difference too. I say having the latest chip sets makes the picture quality look better to me. The graphics in the 922 were created for an hd tv and were the first upgrade for graphics in a long time.

The graphics on the 922 are what really make it look sharper.

So I asked a rep in online chat today if I could go on a waiting list or if there was even one and the rep said dish is keeping very tight wraps on release date and pricing. He said they probably wouldn't know until the 15th. Anyone hear of when they will announce a release date?

I'm agree with the comment, but can't support that claim of difference in video output PQ due the 722k and 922 [722s] are the same from HW stand point.

I don't think there is any difference between them otherwise. I have a 922 and 211k at home and can't tell the difference. We also have a 922 and 722k in our display room and you can't see a difference, and they're side by side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts