Hopper Control via IP?

sfatula

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Calera, OK
I don't own a Hopper, yet, am considering it, but, I am looking for a DVR that can be controlled over IP. Near as I can tell, the Hopper can not, not sure of future plans though. Control via IP is important for a home automation system. It's very handy to be able to see what is playing, what channel, control it, etc. and avoid DRA and the remote. DRA is ok, but, it's yet another app. One app to control all equipment is what I am looking for. I can control all 12 other pieces of equipment in my system (projector receiver, etc.), am hoping to find a way to control the Hopper via the network (not IR codes as they do not allow for feedback).

Anyone have a way to do so? Any rumors of such a feature?

There are satellite receivers with web interfaces, but unfortunately, Dish won't authorize their cards in anyone else's receiver. I don't know why the government doesn't force them to do so the way they did with CableCARD.

So, it sounds like there is not a Dish solution perhaps. I've been with Dish for close to 10 years I believe. Unfortunately, this is a game killer for me. I have to have network control and feedback of the devices. I've heard DirecTV does, though, not sure how much you can control them. If it turns out I can, then, likely, this will cause an unfortunate switch. Which I'd swear I'd never do.

If IP control is a higher priority than the actual content you're watching, then it looks like DirecTV is the only option. Just be aware that they have stated they will close the door on IP control in the future. They just haven't done it yet. Somehow I've managed to control everything in my home theater without IP or feedback just fine my entire adult life. Do all your other devices work directly via IP control? If so, what are they, because I sure can't find them. There is one blu-ray player (panasonic), no tv's, maybe a couple of amps, and that's it. What's wrong with an IP/IR gateway besides lack of feedback?

Yes, I already said my other devices are controllable. For example, Plex, Pioneer SC-55, Epson Powerline Cinema 5010 projector, etc. Feedback is the most critical component, a HA system can make intelligent choices depending on the state of things and so many operations can be so simple and controlled even via an iPad without endless competing apps that don't work together and take too much time. Much simpler and easier than universal remotes. Can one get by without IP control? Sure, but, not a user friendly home automation system. Until you have used one, perhaps it's hard to understand. The merits of this are not the question here, I was looking for a yes or no, and, it sounds like Dish is a no.

DirecTV also has a serial interface. Which is certainly not IP control, but, also provides feedback. So, that's a secondary option. There are many other devices that suppose RS232 as well for HA systems. I'd take either.

So, yes, feedback control is more important than actual content I am watching. Content can be acquired many ways.

I thought the Android and iOS Dish Remote Access clients had a "remote" mode...

I thought the Android and iOS Dish Remote Access clients had a "remote" mode...

They do, but that's not what I asked. My post said not DRA. The issue with DRA is it ONLY works with Dish. I have an app/system that works with all equipment, EXCEPT dish. Were Dish IP (or RS232) controllable, one could have a single place that integrates all devices, can switch aspect modes based on content, can select the proper sound signal mode based on content, and all sorts of other features. Heck, I could even read the screen (hard for me to read text at a distance, can see video though, trivial at close range) if I could only retrieve show info, etc.. I have no interest in in using the Dish guide, favorites list, etc, too slow. Using DRA is also too slow as it requires using multiple apps none of which talk to each other.

Head to any automation group if you want to see systems in action. Dish is wanting me to use their app which is fine, but, it's way too limited.

You already have your answer of course, but since you seem to be concerned about speed, you will be sorely disappointed with DirecTV in that regard. Even via IP or serial, they are very sluggish and totally miss commands at times.

And I have the opposite view regarding feedback systems. IMO, simply using discretes makes knowing the state of your devices irrelevant and is 100% bullet-proof, simple, user friendly and affordable. I realize feedback systems give you some extra bells and whistles like the content based modes you mentioned, but I'd rather not be locked into the few devices that work with IP or RS232.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

And I have the opposite view regarding feedback systems. IMO, simply using discretes makes knowing the state of your devices irrelevant and is 100% bullet-proof, simple, user friendly and affordable. I realize feedback systems give you some extra bells and whistles like the content based modes you mentioned, but I'd rather not be locked into the few devices that work with IP or RS232.

Actually, I have not decided what I am going to do as any switch is 6 months away as that's when I am moving into new house. Already programmed most of my system, except Dish of course. Discretes are not good enough for me. That being said, right now, I am in "ideal" mode. Part 2 is to analyze the weaknesses of switching to someone else, or not satellite even. Part 3 is then workarounds, is there another way to accomplish each specific task I want. It's all on the table. The activity based remote is required for me. Family still can't figure out how to put stuff in the right mode to do a specific task. So, a remote that says for example WATCH SCYFY or listen to Pandora will do exactly that, anyone can hit that button and understand what it is going to do.

As far as few devices, I did not see that at all. For receivers, I looked at Pioneer and Denon. For projectors, had looked at Optoma and Epson. Near as I could tell, all of the models do it. Perhaps things have changed somewhat. Actually DISH already does it, recognizing the use of it. However, they have restricted it to their own use at present.

Why would Dish or DirecTV want to open up control of their boxes to third parties? It certainly won't bring in significant numbers of customers, and may open the door to problems. And open IP access to everything you have may cause security problems for you, too.

Perhaps satellite is not for you. You seem to be a HTPC/Windows Media Center customer, although how much you can run thru that I don't know.

As regards "WATCH SYFY" and such, I do that today with Harmony remotes. I have an 880 upstairs, and a One downstairs. Nearly idiot proof. Easy to set up, and shifting between music, DVD/BDs, radio, OTA & Dish is all by one touch, with no unnecessary turning off & on the TV set. And I typed in what I wanted each menu option to be labelled.

Best of luck.

Ok, I can't let such a comment stand uncontested. As a network engineer, I'll take my home network security any day of the week. As should most anyone. To even think there is any comparison to the problem as it exists today, well, no comment. Anyway, don't you think there's just a slight risk (well, actually huge) that machines are currently exposed publicly on the internet? Besides how the receiver currently works with it's "remote" access, which I won't go into but is also a problem, then there's the issue with someone breaking into my, or your, dish remote or dishonline account. Guess what, they can delete anything on your DVR. I have no choice over that now do I. I'd much rather the choice be mine than theirs.

For me, that's like 10,000 times the risk of a home network, I think a large company would be a slightly more lucrative target than me. But I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder.

I'm glad your Harmony works for you, not even close to an option for me for the reasons stated.

Is it really that bad in your family? Heck my small nephews have figured out how to turn on all of our home theater gear and tune channels on the Dish remote. I guess I just dont see the need to make things more complicated then it needs to be, but good luck on your quest.

Would you (Navychop) buy the same remotes today? I have two Hopper theaters with receivers (Arcam 450 & Marantz 6006) and Blu Rays (Sony PS3 & Oppo BDP93) and was thinking my best remote control option would be a Harmony after trying a Universal 780 integrated with its MX-10.

Soooo which Harmony would you suggest?

thanks from Steve Chase

Would you (Navychop) buy the same remotes today? I have two Hopper theaters with receivers (Arcam 450 & Marantz 6006) and Blu Rays (Sony PS3 & Oppo BDP93) and was thinking my best remote control option would be a Harmony after trying a Universal 780 integrated with its MX-10.

Soooo which Harmony would you suggest?

thanks from Steve Chase

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

I am happiest with my Harmony One, it does 15 devices but has no colored buttons. I love the ease of programming the Harmony remotes, and the great degree to which you can do so. But I must admit, when controlling my Oppo 83, I use the Oppo remote because the FF works better. And of course, for my PS3 I must use the PS3 Bluetooth remote.

I'd strongly recommend avoiding the Link and the 1100. And the RF in the 900 is not compatible.

I suggest looking at the Harmony 700. It has the colored buttons.

I hear rumors of new products out from Harmony this fall, but I don't think we can count on that.

I have a Harmony 700. It works perfectly with the Hopper, complete with colored buttons, my Denon AVR and Panasonic BD Player. It obviously also does everything it needs to do with my Sharp flat screen as well.

Navychop, there are tons of PS3 adapters out there, including one from Logitech, so no need to use the PS3 remote. Also there are many ways to fix your FFWD issue.

Steve, you should also give Xsight a look. It's cheaper than harmony and better in almost every respect. For example, harmony macros are limited to 5 steps and can't have any delays, but Xsight macros are unlimited and timing can be any way you want. They also respond instantly where harmony does not.

I'm starting to think that Logitech has sent the Harmony remotes to the back of the bus. It's seems like years since the last update and the only thing new are these ancillary devices like that PS3 adapter or the Harmony link that lets you use an iOS or Android device as a remote. Shame though, they are fantastic devices once you get them set up.

Navychop, there are tons of PS3 adapters out there, including one from Logitech, so no need to use the PS3 remote. Also there are many ways to fix your FFWD issue....

Yes. I just never bothered, because we so rarely watched BDs/DVDs in the MBR, where the PS3 is. Now, however, we are getting into the Amazon Instant Videos, both free and fee. So I may have to revisit the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)