HOPPER DEMONSTRATION VIDEO!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
After watching the Dish demo video, I changed my mind as to how PTA was working. I was under the assumption that it was just dumping the LiL transponder to disk. But, if you notice in the guide display where he showed the PT logos, FOX stopped recording while the other ones did not (since FOX does not have the last hour of prime time).

I think right now it is actually recording every show individually. I think it has the capacity to record 6 satellite streams at once, but of course only 3 tuners, so all the Prime Time ones have to be on the same TP. Of course if they eventually add a couple OTA tuners they could be doing 8 steams at once recording. Quite the accomplishment for the chipset.

It also makes me wonder if they start each show early and end late? It appears that they could really support 1 min early 3 min late. Or if they do it like now where they just switch, so shows that run a bit late are actually finished on the next one?

Also the demo where they moved the file from one side to the other was interesting (from Dish area to user area). It appeared to happen instantely. It was like they were on the same disk partition. I have not tried removing the 922 disk and looking at it under linux, is it one partition or two? I was under the impression that there were two partitions, now it appears that it could be the same one with just so much space allowed to be used by the user. It could explain that >100% full issue that they had with the 922.

After watching the Dish demo video, I changed my mind as to how PTA was working. I was under the assumption that it was just dumping the LiL transponder to disk. But, if you notice in the guide display where he showed the PT logos, FOX stopped recording while the other ones did not (since FOX does not have the last hour of prime time).

I think right now it is actually recording every show individually. I think it has the capacity to record 6 satellite streams at once, but of course only 3 tuners, so all the Prime Time ones have to be on the same TP. Of course if they eventually add a couple OTA tuners they could be doing 8 steams at once recording. Quite the accomplishment for the chipset.

Nope not it at all. It records the entire transponder and everything on it. The shows are tagged in the guide as network shows and that's why it does not record the 10pm show which is normally local news on FOX as that show is not tagged as a network show.

NotMe546 said:
But I don't even want to know how often it has to be rebooted it. :eek:

I was with them for over 6 hours and I never saw one unit rebooted. It is built off of the 922 software so it's really solid.

I was with them for over 6 hours and I never saw one unit rebooted. It is built off of the 922 software so it's really solid.
He was talking about the HRxx's. Of which I probably had to reboot mine a total of 2 times in 5 years

Did they give you any info on the monthly fee for whole home service or if this box will cost more per month than any of the others?

After watching the Dish demo video, I changed my mind as to how PTA was working.

Same here. That "move" was instantaneous. My jaw hit the floor!

Nope not it at all. It records the entire transponder and everything on it.

OK, then how in heck did Vivek save it to the customer's part of the disk? This "move" was instantaneous; there was no time for a copy, and certainly no time to pass through a recording of the entire transponder demultiplexing the program you want. There was not even enough time to copy the program from one partition to another. That is why I'm calling it a "move", which I think is what Mike was saying.

The only way this could happen as you say is for the UI to present us with the "move" as an accomplished fact, while in reality it's going on in the background over some number of minutes.

hey dodgerking thank you for review and what brand and size is that vizio and how do you like it? i just bought a new vizio 42" today and going through everything now :) ty for help :)

OK, then how in heck did Vivek save it to the customer's part of the disk? This "move" was instantaneous; there was no time for a copy, and certainly no time to pass through a recording of the entire transponder demultiplexing the program you want. There was not even enough time to copy the program from one partition to another. That is why I'm calling it a "move", which I think is what Mike was saying.

The only way this could happen as you say is for the UI to present us with the "move" as an accomplished fact, while in reality it's going on in the background over some number of minutes.
It is probably all on the same filesystem. The OS just moves a link to the file and does not physically move the actual file.

Hopper and Joey have me drooling. I wonder if DirecTV will try and match PrimeTime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts