Hopper droping EHD

wdavis9

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
meridian, ms
My hopper will give me the message "you have disconected an external device" and my EHD is gone and I have to unplug it and sometimes reboot to see it again. How do I fix this. Also it takes my hopper a long time to reboot is this normal?

I have had more than my share of losing the EHD problems as I've documented in other threads. I have to say the connection has been much more stable lately, possibly because of one of the software updates. The one thing I have never seen, (and I've seen everything) is the pop up message that I have disconnected an external device unless I actually unplugged the EHD.

Some things I would check:

1. Try a different USB jack on the Hopper.
2. Try a different USB cable if you have one.
3. Try a different EHD power supply if you have one.

It's possible you have a bad Hopper or EHD but I would try to rule out connection or EHD power problems first. I don't know why your Hopper is taking 30 minutes to re-boot. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. It's possible that it is having a hard time re-booting if the EHD connection is intermittent.

I have seen that a few times. Don't do it unless you want to lose all of the recordings. Try disconnecting the power to the EHD for 5 minutes or so and then plugging it back in.

Are you unplugging the usb cable or the power cable from the ehd? I had the reboot problem when I unplugged the usb cable. Haven't had it when I unplugged the power cable to the ehd.

Are you unplugging the usb cable or the power cable from the ehd? I had the reboot problem when I unplugged the usb cable. Haven't had it when I unplugged the power cable to the ehd.
I agree with both parts. With an active (power and USB plugged in) EHD any reboot will "scan" the disk, which can take a couple of hours for a full 2TB drive versus 5 minutes before guide load.

If I unplug the USB while switching drives the H2000 is likely to force a reboot. Unplugging the power, this is less likely but happens once in a while when also playing and recording. So I try to do it while not recording any non-repeated show.

A hit is needed only if it repeats that error message.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)