Hopper freeze/Channel Change issues / Request mirror mode on Joey

kugumby

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I've been living with this for a while and it's happening more than a few times a week. I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone else talking about these issues, so I figured I'd start a new post. If this has been covered, I apologize and please forward me to the right spot.

Hopper freeze issue:
This typically will happen between 6:00 & 7:00, but I think it has something to do with when PTAT starts. We will be watching TV with two tuners in use using the buffers and the swap. With no warning the screen will go black, we lose both tuner buffers and the Tuner Select screen will come on. It shows the PTAT tuner in use with all 4 networks being recorded and then two tuners that are available, however, you can't select either of the free tuners. Once you select one, it takes you right back to the Tuner Select screen. I can click on Guide and then select a channel there, but it goes right back to the Tuner Select screen. Only way out of this loop is to red button reset.

Channel changing issue:
We have a Hopper and a Joey as our primary viewing options (I also have another Hopper in our dedicated TV room downstairs, but that doesn't apply to this issue). We use the swap and buffer of the tuners ALL the time. Occasionally, we'll be watching on the Hopper and try to change the channel on the tuner the Joey is on and it simply will not let me change the channel. I can swap to the tuner the Joey is on, fast forward to the end of the buffer, try to change it to any other channel and the Tuner Select screen will come on to select a different tuner. It's as if the Joey has that tuner locked. The only way to force it to change channels is to turn the Joey off and then go back to the Hopper and change channels. This one is really frustrating. The way we watch TV, the Hopper should be able to change the channel on the Joey whenever we need to change it.

Request mirror mode on Joey:
It's just my wife and me at our house. If we're ever watching two different shows, it means that we each are watching one of the two Hoppers, so the way the Joey works at our house is that it's set up as a distribution system to the rest of the TV's in the house. My request is a mirror mode that would allow the Joey to simply show what is being played from the Hopper it is connected to. Ideally, it would also show any DVR recordings that are being played back on the Hopper. Being able to put it in mirror mode would also be useful for working around the house or parties like the Super Bowl where all of the TV's could just show the same thing or even play the same music station and if the Hopper changed channels or tuners, then the Joey would as well. As an aside, if the Joey is on the same tuner as what is being played on the upstairs Hopper, it will be out of sync with the Hopper TV. I've found that if I hit the skip back button on the Joey remote once, (sometimes you have to do it twice) both TV's will be in perfect sync. (Now, as soon as you skip forward or back with the Hopper remote, it gets messed up again, but at least it works until you do that.)

Thanks for reading.

Todd

So....I'm the only one that experiences these issues?

Is there any discussion about a mirror mode for the Joey?

My wife would love a mirror mode. She has a habit of working in other rooms while still trying to watch a show with me in the living room. Mirror mode would be perfect.

if the freeze-up and the tuner lock issues are happening on the same hopper, it may be an issue with that rec
you could try swapping the hopper locations and see if it continues

have you considered mirroring one of the hoppers and eliminate the joey?

Before you just go jumping on the "replace the receiver right away" bandwagon, I would suggest checking the cabling. If you can get to the wallplate where the cable comes in to the hopper, you can pull it off and somewhere on the cable (or anywhere along that cable run) it needs to say something along the lines of 'cable swept to 3ghz'. Most common problem with tuners freezing.

And that first step to help determining if cabling is what TimberWolf suggested, change Hopper positions!

I like having the extra hopper dedicated to the Home Theater room. That way there is no way she can mess up a recording that I've set up and if I go down there, I'm not messing with whatever she might be watching and buffering on the swap.

Regarding the cabling, it was run directly by the installer. We didn't reuse any existing cabling. Not that the cabling still isn't messed up, just giving background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)