Hopper guide update

30rock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
louisiana
Is there anyway to change the time the hopper does it's nightly reboot? Every time I'm watching something at 1am-ish my hopper has to reboot and I lose whatever I had queued up or am watching live.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is there anyway to change the time the hopper does it's nightly reboot? Every time I'm watching something at 1am-ish my hopper has to reboot and I lose whatever I had queued up or am watching live.

No, you can not change the Hopper time, BUT, if you are watching something live, it does give you the option to continue watching or not.

A lot of us have been complaining about this for a long time. When I had 622, 722, and 722K receivers you could set the time that you wanted the reboot. With the newer Hopper receivers you can not, which is a step backward in my opinion. I don't think that Dish thinks this is a problem because people have been complaining for years and you still can't set the reboot time. I guess we just have to live with it.

No, you can not change the Hopper time, BUT, if you are watching something live, it does give you the option to continue watching or not.

In my experience, it doesn't. Maybe on the Hopper, but on my Joey it freezes up then loses connection to the Hopper. Sometimes the Joey reboots at the same time, other times Joey reboots at 1:17 am exactly.

Also, sometimes I am away from the TV or not looking at the screen when the message pops up. Then it reboots, losing all of my buffered delayed video that I was watching. Very annoying.

I think this option is still there. You should be able to set time when the hopper do its updates. Usually is 4am.
You can think all you want, there is no option for setting an update with any version of CUI software.
It does it when your Hopper and Joeys are in standby.

And the old S528 software version I had back in January would do a nightly reboot at 1:30 am on both H2s.
There was no way to change that.

I have a HWS and no Joeys. When I have a timer recording something after 1 AM, the nightly reboot doesn't occur until after the recording is completed. If you are consistently watching the same program after 1 AM, try setting a timer for it and see if that helps.

Reactions: JSheridan
The Hopper 3 with Joeys MUST all be put in standby at least once every three days or you will be shut down to get updates at 1AM after that third day. So, if you work during the day shut all your equipment off, as in standby, and you will have no issues at 1 AM....

And it happened to me again a few nights ago: I was watching TV at the dreaded hour, and thoughtlessly went to the kitchen during the commercial break to raid for late snack, then to return to the TV to see to my HORROR it went into the UPDATE mode while I was away. Of course I missed several minutes of the program. In the past I've paused Live TV only to find it dumped my buffer of the live show for the stupid update. Yeah, it gives the option to pass on the reboot, but we have to be there. THAT IS JUST SO STUPID to design TV watching with buffer and PROMOTE pausing Live TV, and then design it to dump the buffer, and I've known those who were on the phone not paying attention to the prompt before update and re-boot. Why Dish has not SIMPLY designed the option already exists in the old ViP's to allow us to select the time WE KNOW BEST to let the box update and reboot is massively MORONIC, and ARROGANT! Not at all the Charlie credo of "give the customer what they want." It is a HOSTILE design to impose the time of update and reboot.

I love when people assume why Dish does this, having no real knowledge, but comparing it to the update that inferior boxes do. The Hopper system is a completely different beast than any VIP, and as such would be the same as comparing it to cable or DTV systems. All in all, almost no one on this particular post knows why it happens and why it cannot be changed, and any assumptions to such would be merely an uneducated opinion.

Reactions: bmetelsky
If setting a timer delays the update, or with the newer UI it won't update if not in standby (up to 3 days) that suggests to me there would be no problem in changing the time of an update on the Hopper at least similar to the VIP. It almost seems like something in buffer not delaying an update was an oversight, in fact not going by inactivity was a mistake or oversight. (example - if not in standby and no input for 2 hours would allow an update but change channels or other activity would delay it up to a set amount hours)

Reactions: pattykay
I have a HWS and no Joeys. When I have a timer recording something after 1 AM, the nightly reboot doesn't occur until after the recording is completed.
I can confirm this for the original Hopper, also. I was watching my sister's Hopper while she was recording a marathon of MASH on Sundance TV the entire night earlier this week, and the nightly reboot never happened. As an added bonus, since the reboot never occurred, the old PTAT events did not get deleted, so I had access to the last nine days worth of PTAT events, instead of the usual eight days. :)

Reactions: Tampa8
Well, if I were to guess, especially given the recent change in the CUI for the update, they are not purposefully pissing customers off. There is likely a very valid technical/cost point to it, such as available hours to update so as not to be just wasting bandwidth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts