Hopper Install has begun

Zaxcom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Tech showed up at 8:30 to install 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. First step was installing the Dual Node. He replaced all of the connectors on the coax cables. Even though they were put their by Dish, he said they were told to redo all of them.

Next step was to hook up the Hoppers. This was easy enough and we had them up and booting by 9am. Since then we have been sitting and watching the Hoppers download software and search for the satellites and reboot.

After about 20 minutes we got to the screen to authorize the Hoppers, which is what the tech is trying to do now. He said they have run into trouble at this point in other installs. In fact they spent 7 hours on another install yesterday and have to come back today to try and finish.

He did point out that they have discovered that you must never hook up a Joey before the Hopper, and only one Joey at a time, otherwise you will brick it.

More to come....

I know there wasn't a lot of training on installing these before the release but the info about activating the Hopper before hooking up the Joeys was available before release. Someone is dropping the ball getting this info to the technicians. It sounds like this has been the biggest problem with everyone's installs.

So we have hit a problem. All the Joeys are only seeing one of the Hoppers. Cant make one of the joeys see the second Hopper.

So we have hit a problem. All the Joeys are only seeing one of the Hoppers. Cant make one of the joeys see the second Hopper.
and you're doing the pairing change through the joey that's having trouble... correct?

Well it only took 3 hours. I have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys up and running. No high hurdles once we figured out how to link the joeys to the hopper of choice. I even showed him how to make the remote use the audio amp to change volume instead of the TV.

Now its off to program all the tuners and prefs the way I like.

It looks better because the UI is all in HD now. The guide and menus are all HD along with the channel logos all make it looks sharper. Otherwise there is no difference.

It looks better because the UI is all in HD now. The guide and menus are all HD along with the channel logos all make it looks sharper. Otherwise there is no difference.

It's not just the user interface. I swear the picture quality is just about as good as it was ten years ago when there was little HD except for SEC football on CBS and the constantly repeating nature demo. The PQ is so crisp, it almost looks 3D, on my 120" projector screen as well as my 67" DLP.

Does anyone know what the line or RF setting under the audio setup does?

I read somewhere a long time ago that "RF" restricts dynamic range. "Line" is the setting you'll probably want. I'm not at all sure how Line/RF relates to SRS leveling. They seem to be sort-of the same thing.

Well it only took 3 hours. I have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys up and running. No high hurdles once we figured out how to link the joeys to the hopper of choice. I even showed him how to make the remote use the audio amp to change volume instead of the TV.

Now its off to program all the tuners and prefs the way I like.

And how do you do the audio amp thing?

Some pics of the cables. Please note I also have an OTA antenna and Time Warner Cable coming in, so there are a lot of cable there that are not DISH.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

It's not just the user interface. I swear the picture quality is just about as good as it was ten years ago when there was little HD except for SEC football on CBS and the constantly repeating nature demo. The PQ is so crisp, it almost looks 3D, on my 120" projector screen as well as my 67" DLP.

It's new patented technology Dish has developed to not only remove compression from an overly-compressed signal, but also fill in the holes with the content that was lost. It's so scalable, in fact, that soon Dish will be able able to hold 15 channels per transponder with absolutely no loss of signal quality from the raw feed from the provider!

It's new patented technology Dish has developed to not only remove compression from an overly-compressed signal, but also fill in the holes with the content that was lost. It's so scalable, in fact, that soon Dish will be able able to hold 15 channels per transponder with absolutely no loss of signal quality from the raw feed from the provider!

If you're not pulling my leg, where did you get this information?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)