hopper issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jbon821

Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
hauppauge ny
I have a 3 hopper 3 joey set up in my home. For the last 3 weeks or so all three hoppers are experiencing the same problems. The problems seem to be worst when we are recording primetime anytime and other shows but they persist throughout the day. The problems are getting progressively worse.

1) 10 -15 second lag on remote. I can press any button on the remote but it will not respond for 10 -15 seconds. The commands will queue up. fast forward / rewind gets stuck. If I press play to stop the ff/rw It will lag.

2) The hopper randomly reboots and cuts out part of the recordings.

3) dvr menu, channel guide menu will take up to 3 minutes to load.

4) If I select a dvr record sometimes the drop menu will show up in the corner of the screen. I usually I have to cancel out of the dvr menu and select the recording again to get it to play.

The issues have become unbearable. Watching tv has become aggravating. I have tried resetting the hoppers by red button and unplugging them. Nothing seems to help.

Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? I find it hard to believe that all three hoppers started this around the same time.

I had a tech scheduled to come by last Saturday but they never showed or called to say they had to cancel. When I called support they told me the tech had to take another job sorry. It truly pissed me off. I have been a customer for over 15 years.

Any help or thoughts on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Unplug all hoppers. Disconnect all sat coax. Plug in hoppers. Run checkswitch on all. Turn off and unplug all hoppers. Reconnect all sat coax. Re plug, run checkswitch again.

Report back.

Also, it could be a failing component or connection. Try this first. Then we can work on hoppers one by one with connection issues. But you also need to look at diagnostics to see if you may have a failing LNB (doubtful, IMHO, according to your issues). You could physically check each connection for tightness and corrosion.

I am having the same remote control lag issue. It starts off when I use the Skip Fwd button. I press the button several times and nothing happens. After about 20 to 30 second lag time the recording skips forward the number of times I previously pressed the button, usually around six to eight minutes or so in to the recording. When the Hopper is in this freeze up situation the only button that works is the Menu button. When I press the Menu button twice to the System Info screen I notice that it says no remotes are connected to the Hopper. The only thing that seems to get the remote out of this freeze up is to just wait and don’t press any more buttons. After about a minute or so the Hopper starts to work again and goes thru all the button actions I had previously pressed.

My system is four HWSs, two Wireless Joeys, and one regular Joey. The lag freeze issues happens on all the units and also with 21.0 UHF remotes. I noticed this problem started right after software update S512 dated 31 October 2014. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own with no results and it does seem to be getting worse and now have the wife getting edgey/crabby at me!

Last edited:
Bridging makes no difference, on or off. Having the same internet connection on all makes no difference either.

Everybody having this problem please report it to DIRT.

My issue has been resolved. It was being caused because I was running prime time any time on 4 hoppers at once. The dish tech advised me to turn off prime time on all but one hopper. Ever since I have done so there has not been any issue.

If any of you have the lag issue And have multiple hoppers I suggest trying to turn off the prime time on all but one hopper.

My issue has been resolved. It was being caused because I was running prime time any time on 4 hoppers at once. The dish tech advised me to turn off prime time on all but one hopper. Ever since I have done so there has not been any issue.

If any of you have the lag issue And have multiple hoppers I suggest trying to turn off the prime time on all but one hopper.
I only have prime time on on one hopper

This is the first time I have heard of only running one Hopper with PTAT turned on. Did not have this issue till S512 came out. I only run PTAT on two Hoppers. Trying out your suggestion now running with just one Hopper with PTAT turned on. Will post back after a couple of days to see how goes it. Thanks for posting this info.

The problem was very apparent with 3 Hoppers hooked together so about 3 weeks ago I put an isolator on one of them. It's much, much better now. The 2 that are connected both do PTAT. They both still refresh the menus and all the list screens every minute on the minute while PTAT is recording and a show is being saved but the key press delay has almost disappeared.

Were you having trouble too with the remote working slow? My Hoppers seem to be working a little better so far.
Yes. I turned off PAT on one (of 2) Hoppers last night. I will check it tonight to see if it made a difference. I had activated it on my older Hopper when my HWS died, and was keeping it on because the new Hopper with sling was acting up and figured it was going to die soon as well.

Hi, all. Interesting thread. This is NOT a criticism; I'm just ignorant. Could you folks tell me why you have PTAT on more than one Hopper? We have 2 HWS and we use only one Hopper for PTAT. Everyone can access the HWS that has PTAT activated, even if they are paired to the non-PTAT Hopper, and that is how we use it in the household. For us, it is much more efficient that way.

Second question: So, what would the effect be if you all had PTAT on one Hopper, but used separate timers on the other Hoppers? The other Hopper would still be using ONE tuner, but with individual timers. Would that be a solution to those who need the PT shows recorded on the other Hoppers? Perhaps that is a workaround to activating PTAT on multiple Hoppers. I hope it all works out and THANKS for the great info on PTAT on multiple Hoppers. That will be filed in my shrinking brain.

Hi, all. Interesting thread. This is NOT a criticism; I'm just ignorant. Could you folks tell me why you have PTAT on more than one Hopper? We have 2 HWS and we use only one Hopper for PTAT. Everyone can access the HWS that has PTAT activated, even if they are paired to the non-PTAT Hopper, and that is how we use it in the household. For us, it is much more efficient that way.

Second question: So, what would the effect be if you all had PTAT on one Hopper, but used separate timers on the other Hoppers? The other Hopper would still be using ONE tuner, but with individual timers. Would that be a solution to those who need the PT shows recorded on the other Hoppers? Perhaps that is a workaround to activating PTAT on multiple Hoppers. I hope it all works out and THANKS for the great info on PTAT on multiple Hoppers. That will be filed in my shrinking brain.
I had PTAT enabled on a second HWS as a back up.

Reactions: JSheridan
I am still having problems with remote control lagging/freezing issues with PTAT enabled on only one HWS. It is a little better with just one HWS enabled with PTAT. When the lag/freeze is happening the only remote buttons that work are the Menu and Apps button. When I press the Menu button twice to the System Info screen it says no remotes connected to the Hopper. After the lag/freeze stops all the remotes paired to the Hopper show up.

Could you folks tell me why you have PTAT on more than one Hopper? We have 2 HWS and we use only one Hopper for PTAT.

I do, because I used BOTH Ho's to record network prog in prime-time, since I try to scatter my shows evenly across both Ho's, depending on the day/time. In order to get auto-hop on those shows, you have to enable PTAT on at least 1 channel at least 1 night.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts