Hopper/Joey vs. 2 Directv DVRs?

jborchel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
I have been with D* since 1996 but found that if I switch to Dish with the Hopper/Joey solution I can save $22/month for the same programming. I understand that the Hopper/Joey is faster in operation but it is difficult for a new user to get one's hands around the various functional differences between the two vendors hardware products.

I have two D* DVRs, one for each different TV rooms. I have found that it is a bit of a pain maintaining two identical series recording lists and so this would be a nice feature of the Hopper Joey. However, I am wondering about two items that I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. Currently when my wife and I watch in from different rooms we have total independence for watching live. However, if I add other activities like recording while watching from each it seems there could be some conflicts. Is there something I would be giving up by going to Hopper/Joey?
2. Are there any critical functional differences between the two? Is ther any function I would give up by making the switch?

Thanks for any advice.

You can pause Live TV in any room with Hopper/Joeys, but you can't pause Live TV in secondary/tertiary rooms with DirecTV's whole home DVR solution.

You will be going from 4 tuners to 3 tuners. You can dedicate 1 tuner to record all of the big 4 networks with prime time anytime each night leaving you 2 tuners for recording other programming or watching live tv. I would recommend 2 hoppers from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

or you could get 2 Hoppers and no Joeys. Best of all worlds......

With the same monthly fee as a Joey, I would agree with the two hopper set up. May be difficult to get though as mentioned when I was setting up my service from direct to dish. I requested the two hopper one Joey set up which has also been hard for some to do as the default for three tv's tend to be one hopper/two Joey when I discussed my concern if one hopper went I would not be able to watch tv I think that knowledge helped me with my cause and maybe also I was a new customer leaving another provider as well?

I'm looking to switch from Directv to Dish as well and walked into a local retailer- no problem by going the 2-Hopper route...just a $199 upgrade fee. Will probably sign up Wednesday as the manager told me they have a new promo starting - $100 rebate on top of national offers.

You can pause Live TV in any room with Hopper/Joeys, but you can't pause Live TV in secondary/tertiary rooms with DirecTV's whole home DVR solution.

I have two DVRs without whole home function so I can pause live TV anywhere.

I'm looking to switch from Directv to Dish as well and walked into a local retailer- no problem by going the 2-Hopper route...just a $199 upgrade fee. Will probably sign up Wednesday as the manager told me they have a new promo starting - $100 rebate on top of national offers.

Are you saying that this retailer, a big box store like Best Buy or Frys I presume, was adding the additional $100 rebate? Or was the whole thing coming from Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)