Hopper killing sling adapter?

mitymouse

Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
DFW
Greetings-

I had a sling adapter that was working fine with both my old 722 and 722K receivers. I just recently upgraded to a two hopper system. Upon trying the sling adapter in the first hopper, the red light lit briefly and then went out. The receiver never displayed the screen noting that a sling adapter had been plugged in. All three USB ports were tried, powered down the receiver fully, etc etc (tried all of the tips that I've been able to find on the forum so far). Trying the adapter on the second hopper got a little further- it displayed the screen that the adapter had been recognized, and that it would be ready for use once the red light came on (which could take up to 5 minutes). 30 minutes later the light had not come on. Like before, tried all 3 usb ports with the same results. An external hard drive will work on any of the three ports on both hoppers. Both hoppers report sling status as 'invalid'.

Dish was kind enough to ship out a replacement sling, but unfortunately that one behaved almost exactly the same as my original one. So now I am wondering- have I had the misfortune of having two sling adapters going bad, or (worse) are the two hoppers that I have somehow 'killing' the slings? Anyone had a similar experience or possibly know something else to try?

Thanks for reading.

Looks like you got two bad sling adapters. I have two sling adapters that work on both Hoppers.

I just got a sling adapter for my hopper and it didn't work at first. Turns out my sling firmware on the hopper needed updating.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

mitymouse, can you tell me what the Sling Status and Software version is on your Hopper? You can access this information by pressing Menu > Settings > Diagnostics > System Status > Page 2.

Hi Raymond-

The sling adapter status is invalid, and the sling adapter version is 0.0.0 (This is on one of the hoppers, the other is currently in PTAT and I can't check the diagnostics right now- but I'm 99% sure they are the same from what I saw last night.) The Hardware ID on the hopper is S222NACB.

In response to harshness, the adapter is straight in, no hub.

Thanks!

mitymouse said:
Hi Raymond-

The sling adapter status is invalid, and the sling adapter version is 0.0.0 (This is on one of the hoppers, the other is currently in PTAT and I can't check the diagnostics right now- but I'm 99% sure they are the same from what I saw last night.) The Hardware ID on the hopper is S222NACB.

In response to harshness, the adapter is straight in, no hub.

Thanks!

Mine said 0.0.0 until I plugged in the adapter. Then it changed and the adapter worked.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If the Sling Adapter version is all zeros and the status is invalid, make sure the Hopper has a broadband connection and then perform a front panel reset. Leave the Sling Adapter plugged in. The Hopper will update the Sling Firmware using the receivers broadband connection. Please let me know if this does not work. Thanks!

If the Sling Adapter version is all zeros and the status is invalid, make sure the Hopper has a broadband connection and then perform a front panel reset. Leave the Sling Adapter plugged in. The Hopper will update the Sling Firmware using the receivers broadband connection. Please let me know if this does not work. Thanks!
Unfortunately, didn't work- I tried both of the slings and each hopper twice- results were exactly the same, it's like the hoppers don't know that the sling is connected at all. Both hoppers are connected via broadband and stream movies with no problem-

Thank you

The Hopper will update the Sling Firmware using the receivers broadband connection.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of firmware for anything "Dish" being downloaded over the Internet (rather than the satellite stream). Or did the DTVPal DVR do that?

In my experience, about 80% of the time the Sling Adapter doesn't work on my iPad. The status bar progresses just about to the end, stops and no video is displayed. Attached is an example of what it looks like. To get it working I have to reboot the Hopper receiver either from within DishOnline.com or manually from holding down the red button on the front of the receiver. On page 2 of the System Status page, the Sling Adapter Status says Ready and the Adapter Version is R03.03.11. If anyone has experienced similar issues and resolved it please share. Thanks

Attachments

• Dish_Sling_Adapter_Error.png
    Dish_Sling_Adapter_Error.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 191
If anyone is still interested in the original topic (hopper potentially killing sling adapter) it seems that I have just had a run of bad luck with the sling adapters themselves. Dish has sent out a couple replacements, the last of which just immediately worked with both hoppers. Thanks DIRT team for the assistance!

If anyone is still interested in the original topic (hopper potentially killing sling adapter) it seems that I have just had a run of bad luck with the sling adapters themselves. Dish has sent out a couple replacements, the last of which just immediately worked with both hoppers. Thanks DIRT team for the assistance!

I'm hoping this is my problem too. They're sending out a third Adapter today. It's hard to believe that so many are bad. Either they have the worst QC in the world, or they're just shipping out sling adapters that other customers have already returned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)