Hopper Loses Resume Function

az99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
When I have an event set to record (football game) then start watching the recording, when I catch up to live TV and then switch to something else, the RESUME function of that show is lost. All I can select from is live TV or Start Over. I even tried rewinding about a minute before stopping it. Same thing. I have tried it numerous times.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just another bug being fixed in the big new update?

When I have an event set to record (football game) then start watching the recording, when I catch up to live TV and then switch to something else, the RESUME function of that show is lost. All I can select from is live TV or Start Over. I even tried rewinding about a minute before stopping it. Same thing. I have tried it numerous times.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just another bug being fixed in the big new update?
I have seen this bunches of times. Try this, sometimes it works. Press the pause button first and then the stop button. Be sure and see what quarter, inning, or what lap if it is a race you are watching incase it doesn't work so you can fast forward to where you left off. Again, this doesn't work all the time. Good luck.

Thanx That is what I was doing. I also tried rewinding a minute or so thinking if it was not up against Live TV it might help but didn't.
This flaw really defeats one of the main purposes of the DVR.
I was trying to go between the Nascar race and a football game. Every time I stopped the event that was still recording it lost the stop point.

The resume only works once a recording has been completed. It's always been that way. There must be a start and stop for resume to create a reference point.

The resume only works once a recording has been completed. It's always been that way. There must be a start and stop for resume to create a reference point.
dwarren2, it does work sometimes. It was about two or so updates ago when I discovered it. It is too bad Dish hasn't provided this feature from the beginning. I know Charter Cable, Verizon, and I think Tivo DVRs has the capability to resume during a live program being recorded. I think is was an issue with Dish and Tivo is why Dish DVRs didn't have the feature. It sure is a PITA.

Thanx That is what I was doing. I also tried rewinding a minute or so thinking if it was not up against Live TV it might help but didn't.
This flaw really defeats one of the main purposes of the DVR.
I was trying to go between the Nascar race and a football game. Every time I stopped the event that was still recording it lost the stop point.
Also try punching the Live TV button when you want to watch something else and see if the resume is there when you go back to the recording. I have seen that work too.

My old DTV HR24's worked with resume while recording.
So how are you supposed to do it? This seems like a feature that would be expected in a new high tech DVR like the Hopper.
The Resume did work at least 1 time yesterday so I assumed it was supposed to work all the time.

My old DTV HR24's worked with resume while recording.
So how are you supposed to do it? This seems like a feature that would be expected in a new high tech DVR like the Hopper.
The Resume did work at least 1 time yesterday so I assumed it was supposed to work all the time.
I have only been with Dish 7 years and started out on 722s and a 625. We were shocked when we discovered the resume issue. We were with Charter Cable and their Moxis and Motorola DVRs had the resume feature. My wife was really upset and me too. We just had to get use to it and work around it.

I experimented some more. If I watched until I got to Live Tv, I backed up 10 seconds to get off the Live. I then hit the stop button. I then selected Live Tv. Resume was then available the 3 times I tried it that way instead of selecting DVR which I normally did.

So it appears this is another of the long list of bugs and user unfriendly features of the Hopper.

I experimented some more. If I watched until I got to Live Tv, I backed up 10 seconds to get off the Live. I then hit the stop button. I then selected Live Tv. Resume was then available the 3 times I tried it that way instead of selecting DVR which I normally did.

So it appears this is another of the long list of bugs and user unfriendly features of the Hopper.
Good info, thanks.

If I remember, Resume only worked on my 722 after a recording was completed.
You are correct and from what I heard the 922 was the same way. The Hopper was the same way too till about two or three software updates ago it started working but very sporadic. There has been several threads about this resume issue and I know I started one back in 2007. Several years ago someone posted that they thought the reason Dish DVRs didn't have the resume feature while recording was because of the issues Dish was having with Tivo. I hope Dish gets it perfected someday because it is one PITA for us.

Several years ago someone posted that they thought the reason Dish DVRs didn't have the resume feature while recording was because of the issues Dish was having with Tivo
If it used to work, then Dish changed it, that could be related to a Tivo patent. Thing is, it's very likely they can put that function back to the way it was since Dish licensed a bunch of patented Tivo stuff as part of the settlement.

I hope Dish gets it perfected someday because it is one PITA for us.
I agree. What a buggy non user friendly thing this Hopper is. When is this world changing update coming that I have read about since I got it?
Who designs the software? Microsoft?
In only 20 more months I will be able to resolve all my Hopper issues.

Ummm, I do that all the time, but go about it differently than you do. I just use the pip. Pause one and then switch. Once done (but if you're using pip, why not just watch "side by side"), when you switch back, just restart.

This time of the year, I do that virtually every Sunday ... NFL and NASCAR

Thanx for the suggestion but I really don't like PIP. I bought a 55" TV and that is the size I want to see. :)

Do you mean the RECALL button?
Nope, there's a fairly new feature in the Hoppers called Multi-Swap. I think it's buried in the menus where you have to enable it first. Then, how to access it or even what it does, I have no clue ! Almost no one talks about it and I don't ever recall seeing it documented anywhere.

Once enabled, when you hit the swap button, it will give you the option to swap between 4 programs paused or live.