Hopper news updates

It's still my opinion that this is due to supportability in the field.

Less chance of something being installed wrong if you don't allow mixtures of ViP and XiP systems on the same account.

It's still my opinion that this is due to supportability in the field.

Less chance of something being installed wrong if you don't allow mixtures of ViP and XiP systems on the same account.

I agree. But I also think there are other factors.

It sounds like my existing Dish installation of 7 HD receivers (one of those being a DVR) will not work with even a two hopper and four Joey setup since the max is 6 total boxes which leaves my 7th HDTV out in the cold as you cannot mix any Vip receivers with the Hopper/Joey setup. Am I correct in this thinking?

It sounds like my existing Dish installation of 7 HD receivers (one of those being a DVR) will not work with even a two hopper and four Joey setup since the max is 6 total boxes which leaves my 7th HDTV out in the cold as you cannot mix any Vip receivers with the Hopper/Joey setup. Am I correct in this thinking?

You could run another feed to it from another Hopper or Joey if you don't need it to have independent viewing from all other Hoppers and Joeys.

You could run another feed to it from another Hopper or Joey if you don't need it to have independent viewing from all other Hoppers and Joeys.

Preferably from the Hopper...HDMI AND Component. From Joey, would need an HDMI splitter.

Preferably from the Hopper...HDMI AND Component. From Joey, would need an HDMI splitter.
So I would need to run either component cables or HDMI cables from the Hopper/Joey direct to the television then? Hmmm, the run is a decent distance from the closest television and I would have to find a way to then make that run through walls. Not sounding very viable :(.

It would be great if I didn't have to have two hoppers for 4 joeys. I need my hopper in my bonus room, and a joey for my living room, and bedrooms 1-3. So maybe the DIRECTV Home Media Center would be a more cost effective option?

Equipment cost would be a wash between the two, for six viewing locations:

New Business DirectTV = $99 HR34 + $99 each for 5th and 6th receivers = $297
New Business Hopper = $199 for second Hopper + $99 for 4th Joey = $298
Existing custome upgrade Hopper = $100 first Hopper + $100 for second Hopper + $99 for 4th Joey = $299

Note the above D* assumes non-dvr except for the HR34, but you'd get the promo credits on the programming if you switched.

I would have the cost for the first Hopper as well, of $99. So it would be cheaper to go with DIRECTV and get the additional discount on the second year.
HMC $99 + 3 HD Receivers free, and one HD receiver at $99 = $198

OK, I was losing track of the message flow - confused you with jdsabin1, looked like he was a current Dish customer.

For five locations it's still a wash if at AT200 or better for new business:

Dish New = $199 second hopper + Free first hopper + 3 Joeys = $199 (+ another $99 for first Hopper if less than AT200).
Dish Upgrade = $100 First Hopper + $100 Second Hopper + 3 Joeys = $200

As far as the 2nd year promos, just have to run the numbers for your situation and see what works.

One warning on the 2nd year Directv promos - they supposedly are going away the 15th. You may want to go ahead and pull the trigger if you want to go that route. Disclaimer to the warning - its only based on what I've seen here.

Each Hopper will support 3 Joeys. If Dish is allowing you 7 receivers now, why wouldn't they let you upgrade to 7 with 2 Hoppers and 5 Joeys. You'll then have DVR access from all TVs.

In the past there was a 6 receiver limit on leasing, to go beyond that, you had to buy the additional ones. Maybe that is the same with the Hopper/Joey situation too.

In the past there was a 6 receiver limit on leasing, to go beyond that, you had to buy the additional ones. Maybe that is the same with the Hopper/Joey situation too.

Interesting. My retailer just called me with an "update", and it doesn't match what's been posted here. I honestly don't know who will end up being correct.

According to my retailer's DISH rep, my desired 2H 6J setup would cost:
$100 for 1H + 3J (lease)
$499 for 2H (buy)
$100 each for 4J, 5J, 6J (lease)
$95 installation

Not going to work for me at this point. I was advised to wait 3 months to see if pricing comes down after the launch. Me thinks DISH has over estimated demand.

Assuming your retailer is offering the same deal as Dish would, that's a lot of money to pay out. And personally, even if I was ready to go to Hopper/Joey now, I wouldn't want to sink that much money into it until a few reports from reputable people start coming in about it.

Interesting. My retailer just called me with an "update", and it doesn't match what's been posted here. I honestly don't know who will end up being correct.

According to my retailer's DISH rep, my desired 2H 6J setup would cost:
$100 for 1H + 3J (lease)
$499 for 2H (buy)
$100 each for 4J, 5J, 6J (lease)
$95 installation

Not going to work for me at this point. I was advised to wait 3 months to see if pricing comes down after the launch. Me thinks DISH has over estimated demand.

I doubt having to pay retail for the second Hopper and not being able to lease it. If so, that kills this system off for many of us and calls to mind the aggressive pricing comment (and not in a good way). :)

Why would you purchase the second receiver? The retail prices I have seen came directly from Dish and my distributor and it should be $449 for a Hopper. The $95 fee would only be for upgrades.

Why would you purchase the second receiver? The retail prices I have seen came directly from Dish and my distributor and it should be $449 for a Hopper. The $95 fee would only be for upgrades.

I would NOT purchase a second receiver; although this rep says it's the only way to get a 2nd Hopper. If that really is the case, I'll stick with my 622s. Doesn't make sense to me in the long run. If I were to move to a (reasonably priced) 2H 6J setup, that would increase my current monthly fees by $38. DISH would make that $499 up in 13 months.

I would NOT purchase a second receiver; although this rep says it's the only way to get a 2nd Hopper. If that really is the case, I'll stick with my 622s. Doesn't make sense to me in the long run. If I were to move to a (reasonably priced) 2H 6J setup, that would increase my current monthly fees by $38. DISH would make that $499 up in 13 months.

Could be a reason not to use a Retailer and go through Dish.

Well luckily for you that is not true. You do not have to purchase a second receiver. It's a lease upgrade fee of $199.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)