Hopper & No Internet

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I just found out an old friend in San Antonio just got a HWS, no Joeys, because it was a better price than cable service. She wants to use On Demand but has no Internet. She did not know you need Internet, it was not discussed with the DISH CSR. Can the Hopper connect to her cell phone hot spot so she can get On Demand things? Is there like a 30 day period that she can back out of DISH TV and go back to cable service?

I just found out an old friend in San Antonio just got a HWS, no Joeys, because it was a better price than cable service. She wants to use On Demand but has no Internet. She did not know you need Internet, it was not discussed with the DISH CSR. Can the Hopper connect to her cell phone hot spot so she can get On Demand things? Is there like a 30 day period that she can back out of DISH TV and go back to cable service?
Yes, she can hotspot her phone

Reactions: charlesrshell
I tested it on my Hopper3. I turned on Personal Hotspot on my IPhone 8+. When you select Wireless Setup under Internet settings and do a scan IPhone 8+ shows up and can be selected. You then need to enter the WiFi password from your phone.

I would not think that Dish would allow a cancellation within 30 days. After all they have paid an installer and have the cost of the Dish. Cable can get by without a contract because the customer generally just hooks the box up to the cable. The only effort in most cases is a technician on a computer authorizing the account.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: HipKat
Thanks dweber & HipKat. I wished she had gotten with me first before switching to DISH.
Be careful of any data caps on her cell phone plan. A typical movie in HD can use up to ~4-5gb of data per 2 hour movie. If she exceed the cap she will either get throttled down to 3G speed or pay through the nose in overage charges.

Edit: charlesrshell you are a smart guy and I’m sure knew this.

Be careful of any data caps on her cell phone plan. A typical movie in HD can use up to ~4-5gb of data per 2 hour movie. If she exceed the cap she will either get throttled down to 3G speed or pay through the nose in overage charges.
Thanks antimoz. I told her about that. She may be going back to cable service.

Reactions: AntiMoz
She may change her mind when she sees the early termination charge, hundreds of dollars for a brand new sub.
Maybe States have some laws that help them to back out of deals. She just got it Saturday. I hope she keeps it but I really would like to see her get the Hopper 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)