Hopper OTA USB problems

Just had a thought. First few days I had the OTA tuner I didn't have issues. Then I decided to set a couple timers and I noticed the problem the next day. Had problems this weekend and got rid of the one timer I had created. Not now problems in over a day. So it seems it works fine and dandy until you create timers. :)

I'll keep on eye on this

Im going on 11 days or so now, and havent had one black screen that i know of.

With all the problems though, Im currently setting one time recordings each week, not actual recurring timers for now. Im also not using PTAT.

Multi-path rejection is something that all DISH receivers with ota suffer from ,regardless if it is built in tuner , ota module or usb ota tuner. This is something that can't be software repaired. The only answer I have seen is to eliminate the multi-path rejection variables to prevent it from happening. Sometimes you have to eliminate the weak ota station from the mix entirely, unless you can aim your antenna to compensate and lock in a better signal. I only tested the tuner for about 2 months before they released it to the public. It was much worse when we first got the tuner. I suffered black screens, automatic reboots, garbled audio, messed up video,etc. I reported each and every bug I suffered and the dish software team worked with me to eliminate the possible problems on my end and they worked on the software to fix it on their end. I would have to say that the tuner is pretty good now. I don't know why you are suffering all the black screens and other people ,including me are not .

I do know that I have suggested many things to narrow down what may be causing the black screens. Something I found out is that if you make ANY changes to your ota application,you know deleting one or re-scanning the channels, ALL of your timers have to be recreated from scratch and your old ones deleted,because they won't work again. I have already suggested keeping your ota tuner flat like the directions say. Rebooting your receiver by unplugging it for 5 minutes and replugging it in is something I have done after new software is downloaded to clear up any problems that may come with the new software. Also something I have found I have to do periodically, and this is not necessarily connected to ota , but if not done , will cause all kinds of problems in the playback of your shows, the actual reception of your sat programming etc,is to run a check switch again. I had problems with live tv not playing correctly, garbled audio,messed up speed up video , black screens on ota and loss of signal on one of my tuners, and a check switch run fixed my problems. I have had to do this twice so far in the two months I was a tester. The DISH software team suggested that I do this and it did correct my issues. Now, I am not saying this will fix your ota , but it wouldn't hurt to re-run your check switch ,just to make sure that variable is eliminated. The only other thing I could suggest is have DISH send a tech out to look at your node , setup etc., to make sure that isn't a problem. After that I am all out of ideas .

If this black screen issue can't be repaired in software then they need to do a recall. They can work around it. I am sure they will.

I just experienced my 4th black screen today, something I never had with my 622. This tread is now 2 weeks and 104 post old with lots of speculation as to what may be causing the problem (I've read each one) and I'm disappointed that we've received no indication that DIRT has been monitoring.

I'm I asking too much to expect Dish is at least aware of the OTA module issue?

I can't believe I'm the only one with the Joey Guide problem. Unless I managed to miss the post. Once I installed the OTA module the 2 Joey Guides were only populated with VOD channels. No direct channel input either. Only choice was to select a tuner that the Hopper was using. No banner info either. I've reinstalled it twice with the same results. As soon as I remove it and reboot the Hopper everything returns to normal. Hopper works fine with the module installed. WTF?

Im going on 11 days or so now, and havent had one black screen that i know of.

With all the problems though, Im currently setting one time recordings each week, not actual recurring timers for now. Im also not using PTAT.

No issues here either (knocking on wood)...and I actually have several recurring timers set. Each has been firing properly, and all recordings have been fine that I've watched.

Something I found out is that if you make ANY changes to your ota application,you know deleting one or re-scanning the channels, ALL of your timers have to be recreated from scratch and your old ones deleted,because they won't work again.

That's interesting and certainly good to know.

I have avoided going to my weaker OTA stations that have MultiPath issues and I can confirm NO issues since.
OTA works great. You just need a good signal.
To find out if you have a multiple path issues bring up the signal bar and watch it for about 3 mins. If it drops a lot for just 1-2 seconds and goes back then it is the issue, that will cause black outs. For me it drops to Zero.
TROUBLE IS the channels I want to watch are the weaker ones, so I hope this gets fixed. DirecTV fixed it by if the signal drops below 10% a screen would pop up and stay there for 5 seconds even if the sign went back up to normal. The screen said signal too weak.
WARNING: trouble is the DirecTV fix made the DVR very slow when watching any OTA channel as the software kept checking the signal. I dont want a slow Hopper or Joey so maybe there are other options to fixing this. Really the Hopper is working fine, its just the customers OTA signal is bad which then breaks the software.

If this black screen issue can't be repaired in software then they need to do a recall. They can work around it. I am sure they will.

Last edited:
I've been absent for quite awhile, but did get the OTA module as they were released. I ordered it the first day they were on the website and got it three or four days later. I've been wondering why every single day, I have no local channels. I installed it by the book, scanned, saved, etc and all is good. Next day, no channels, not a single one. I go in, rescan, resave, all is well, I think until the next day, then no channels again, not a one. I have mostly weak signals, but one is close to 100. I have 6 channels I can tune with the TV tuner, 5 of which never get over 75. Form what I've seen by poking in this thread, if I have weak channels, the OTA just craps out and must rescan? I guess I wasted $30, as it's just too much of a pita. I have3 multiple problems with the newest software, but I guess they will go into another thread. Sure wish I could get Uverse!! Oh, BTW, I have never set a timer on the OTA.

I had one black screen last night. Changed channel and then went back and all was well.

I have the same thing on one ota channel with 80+ signal strenth any time I go to that channel.
also can't save certain ota channels to favorite list even with good sigal.

Last edited:
Just got my tuner yesterday. No ota timers have been set. Tonight all my ota channels are black screen.
Arrrrrrgh.

Need to make sure none of your OTA channels are periodically dropping out, particularly due to multi path. Meanwhile you can reboot the Hopper and you should get your OTA channels back.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, but there is more to it. Ive had my hopper for two weeks, S230 was installed the day I got it then I hooked up the tuner. ive not had one problem with OTA, other than a few blips in the recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)