Hopper Phone failure

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
Monday the phone interfacand Caller ID (WHICH WE RELY ON) was fine. Tuesday it was not working. Checking tests, it showed Phone Line Not Detected. I checked a the block behind the receiver and it is ok there. I placed a land line phone at the cable that plugs into the Hopper. It was fine. This is another Hopper Failure of the Phone Interface, which is something advertised for these receivers and puts us out of something we use on every phone call: CALLER ID. HELP!

Last edited:
FWIW my experiences with caller id.... It seems like if I don't put the Hopper in standby at night it will usually lose caller id. When I lose caller id a Red button reset will bring it back. The easiest way I've found to check if it's active is: From viewing TV press the Yellow button then 8 then 2. If it dosen't show "Local" the Red button reset is required. At least the Red button reset does not take long. I have 2 Hoppers and they both act this way.l

Yes, I have had the hopper off (power disconnected for 1/2 hour) and ran the phone connection test (shows Failure) and Failed to detect Phone Line)

This is NOT simply loosing Caller ID, it can't detect the Phone Line in the test for that. Caller ID is a result of the main problem.

It was working and then stopped sometime between Monday at 3:30pm and Tuesday morning about 9:30am. Phone line comes in from box, spits to one phone, and to the dish hopper. Simple. Also disconnected phone and hopper setu/test/connnection still shows failure. No DSL. Used to until about 2 years ago and changed to faster cable.

The amount of modems that get blown out in satellite receivers (I don't know why, I've never lost a standalone one), they should make them replaceable. Especially since changing out your DVR requires backing up your programming or losing it.

Who did you send the PM too? If you would like to send one to me with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account I can see if there is anymore troubleshooting we can do, but I am pretty sure it all has been touched on, might be a situation where we have to replace the receiver.

Your best bet would probably be to contact DIRT directly.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Turned out not to be the receiver. I found the phone block at the modular connecter had the pins puched back. When I used a phone on it the other day, I must have disturbed it jut enough to make contact. Today it did not. Locked pins in position in the modular connector end and it worked. Then I changed the phone block.