Hopper Plus / Joey 4 users check in here!

For those who have gotten a Hopper Plus or Joey 4's installed please check in here and let us know what you think!

Remember if you need help we are here for you, we have a large number of SatelliteGuys members who have been testing these devices for quite awhile as well as members of the DISH Android Project team here. So we can support you with most issues you have.

Please remember however that we have no access (nor want access) to Dish customer accounts so please do not post or share account numbers with anyone on SatelliteGuys.

Welcome to the Dish Android Family!
Got my hopper plus on Friday. Several issues:

1. Apps will start but then shut down and return to Home screen.
2. Hulu in particular won't start at all.

Restarting the plus helps with these issues for a short bit, but then they return.

I got this as I like the idea of having my streaming apps in one "interface" without having to switch inputs and devices. I've read where people say that things begin to "straighten out" after a short time. Has anyone else experienced the apps shutting down and the Hulu issue?

Any suggestions?

Interesting new bug that has shown up, wondering if anyone else is running into the same. I have the remote programmed for my TV and Yamaha audio system. Everything works great except when pressing power on the remote it just sends a mute signal to the Yamaha. This only started within the last day or two as it was working great before that

Mine reverted back to P110 a few days ago. Now on the Receiver screen of the Hopper 3 I do not even see the Hopper 3 status any longer. Both columns which used to show the Hopper 3 on the left and the Hopper Plus on the right now show Hopper Plus information in both columns. Had the system installed for 3 months now and it still requires regular reboots of either the Hopper or one of the Joeys at least once if not more times per week. This is ridiculous. If the Hopper 3 and the Joey 3s were as reliable as those in these forums say they were prior to the addition of the Hopper Plus then I do not understand why they cannot at least stabilize this system. This equipment is at best in Beta release regardless of if Dish wants to admit that or not.

Since I am on beta software, I never know the differences between what I am running and whats available to the public so I try to stay quiet on software issues since what I am seeing may be different then what others on non beta software are seeing. With that said... I have been VERY impressed with the recent updates. I hope you guys see these improvements soon.

Its almost getting to the point when I can recommend the Hoper Plus to people. I do however wish the Trick play features were as fast as they are on the Hopper 3 directly.

Early this morning. I tried to manually update yesterday buy the tools and even power cycling. Last time the Plus did not update with it. This morning both did. I suspected it crashed during the nightly update the bootstrapped back to the 110. Everything is so much better now!
Thanks for the response. I will have to check mine again when I get home. I also tried a manual update yesterday with no success.

Attachments

• 20221201_124405.jpg
    20221201_124405.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: charlesrshell
Are you noticing your Joey 4 remote control work a little faster on P512?
I have had little to no problems with them at all. They are both on MOCA and Ethernet. Remotes are used very close to them under 5 feet. Only had one unlink and had to be replaced. My biggest complaint is each device is completely separated from the others so if I add an app to one you have to go to each one add it and login.

After a horrible installation experience and a few bugs right away, seems to have settled in great. Love the Hopper Plus and the wireless Joey 4. Only issue I'm having is not being able to watch 540 on the wireless Joey but that might be an issue with my TV, just haven't tried to figure it out yet.
I considered getting the Hopper Plus, but decided at the last second, not to doit. The Tech that was going to it, told me that I would have to get a new Hopper3, which I didn't really understand why, and he really didn't give me a really good enough reason why I needed to do a completely new Hopper 3, in order to get the HopperPlus. Then, his Supervisor said, that it would be a long shot, suggested a Jump Drive. I again I said No. It may a little convincing, if I didn't have to give up my current Hopper 3 and recordings, but if I did change it, and l lost all of the current recordings, then I wouldn't hear the end of it, from my wife and daughter.

I considered getting the Hopper Plus, but decided at the last second, not to doit. The Tech that was going to it, told me that I would have to get a new Hopper3, which I didn't really understand why, and he really didn't give me a really good enough reason why I needed to do a completely new Hopper 3, in order to get the HopperPlus. Then, his Supervisor said, that it would be a long shot, suggested a Jump Drive. I again I said No. It may a little convincing, if I didn't have to give up my current Hopper 3 and recordings, but if I did change it, and l lost all of the current recordings, then I wouldn't hear the end of it, from my wife and daughter.
In its current state to upgrade to the Plus you do not need to swap it out BUT chances are very high in my opinion that a failure would occur requiring its replacement. Regardless of upgrading or not I can't stress the benefits of using an external hard drive! Just like backing up your computer. The Plus will be amazing in the near future if the concept fits your viewing style. I just started any serious streaming this year and see the amazing benefits! Second if you decide the installation will take several hours. Most of this is updating the Hopper3 regardless of your old one or a new one. IF there is a failure, they lose 2hrs and start that all over with another Hopper3.

So far during my install of 8 full hours my Hopper3 failed and three Plus units failed during the installation. Weeks later a Joey 4.0 needed replacement and last but not least another Hopper3 failure a week after that. Some of this was early software issues others were installers error.

In its current state to upgrade to the Plus you do not need to swap it out BUT chances are very high in my opinion that a failure would occur requiring its replacement. Regardless of upgrading or not I can't stress the benefits of using an external hard drive! Just like backing up your computer. The Plus will be amazing in the near future if the concept fits your viewing style. I just started any serious streaming this year and see the amazing benefits! Second if you decide the installation will take several hours. Most of this is updating the Hopper3 regardless of your old one or a new one. IF there is a failure, they lose 2hrs and start that all over with another Hopper3.

So far during my install of 8 full hours my Hopper3 failed and three Plus units failed during the installation. Weeks later a Joey 4.0 needed replacement and last but not least another Hopper3 failure a week after that. Some of this was early software issues others were installers error.
I also highly suggest adding the protection plan for the first couple of months. You will need the ability to talk to the American tech team and fast many times. God forbid you need an installer called out it will fully cover this. We should not have to pay to be basically beta testers but just trying to be real about it. If you do decide to upgrade call loyalty and ask to wave any upgrade fee. The protection plan will help you here once again. We should be paid to put up with this!

I have been with Dish for decades my first dish had the Echostar on it! I would never switch providers and do fully support them and need to vent your frustrations out (its a lot like a wife you love them to death but SOMETIMES!)