Hopper Plus / Joey 4 users check in here!

One of my J4s about every other day shows the little MoCA signal with two bars on the TV screen. In the Diagnostics menu shows weak link to the H3. The only way to clear it is to reboot the Hopper. My other J4 does not have this issue. Is this a known issue?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Swapped both J4 cables at the 2-way splitter. Got the little weak link symbol on the opposite TV. Re-booted the Hopper and it went away. So is that Hopper causing that issue or should I try replacing the 2-way splitter first?

Its sounding like the splitter, if you have another one swap it out.

I am sure HipKat can tell you the specs you should be looking for.

Its sounding like the splitter, if you have another one swap it out.

I am sure HipKat can tell you the specs you should be looking for.
OK. So you think it is still a hardware problem someplace? I have another 2-way splitter some place. Will swap it out later today when I get home. Here is a pic of the splitter I am using.

Attachments

• Bingo-1.jpg
    Bingo-1.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 112
  • Love
Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Yes, since you reversed things so the signal is going to different receivers and now the receiver that was working fine is showing the issue now and the one that was having the issue does not that would point to the splitter siince that was the only change made. If it were a problem before the splitter both TV's would be having the problem.

Yes, since you reversed things so the signal is going to different receivers and now the receiver that was working fine is showing the issue now and the one that was having the issue does not that would point to the splitter siince that was the only change made. If it were a problem before the splitter both TV's would be having the problem.
Thanks Scott. Will post back results later after I swap the splitter.

I still have several settings being reset with the power cycle each night. Both on the Hopper 3 and Plus.
  • MOCA notification reverts to off from only when week
  • Plus box sleep reverts to never from 3 hours
  • Remote recall reverts to auto tune from just show last 6

I swapped out the 2-way splitter with a new one and both J4s show weak signal. Re-booted the Hopper and now both J4s show strong signal. It's interesting that both J4s in the Diagnostic menu show link quality (No info) for the Hopper they are linked to. In my 2nd H3 the link quality says "Strong." What's next Scott Greczkowski and HipKat? Could the Duo Hub be the culprit?

I swapped out the 2-way splitter with a new one and both J4s show weak signal. Re-booted the Hopper and now both J4s show strong signal. It's interesting that both J4s in the Diagnostic menu show link quality (No info) for the Hopper they are linked to. In my 2nd H3 the link quality says "Strong." What's next Scott Greczkowski and HipKat? Could the Duo Hub be the culprit?
TBH i’ve always had my suspicions about how accurate that is. I’ve had Joeys that said week and were in red letters at the hopper and were problems free. No issues at all. I’m sure it means something legit, but in many cases I didn’t have a problem now I’ve also seen it where it shows weak and it was because there was damage to the cable or some thing in the installation that wasn’t correct but in your case, it could just be a software glitch. Possibly…

TBH i’ve always had my suspicions about how accurate that is. I’ve had Joeys that said week and were in red letters at the hopper and were problems free. No issues at all. I’m sure it means something legit, but in many cases I didn’t have a problem now I’ve also seen it where it shows weak and it was because there was damage to the cable or some thing in the installation that wasn’t correct but in your case, it could just be a software glitch. Possibly…
Thanks. I am just going to ignore it then and turn off the MoCA status icon notification setting.

New to sat. service, got Hopper Plus, Hopper 3 w/Sling and Joey 4 installed about a month ago, from day one joey has been problematic, having to do nearly daily resets (20 button pushes to use on screen reset). Problems have been random Garbled Audio, 'Playback Faild' notice, the red accent on guide becomes magenta and a magenta hue on the picture. Not really a fan of the Home Screen default, it just makes for more button pushes just to get a picture up.

I ran across some minor things. First if watching a recording and there was a signal loss, instead of saying that it says playback problem which would have led me to a hardware issue not signal. I know for a fact it was a signal issue because I was outside and momentarily blocked the signal. Second is when continue watching a recording or seeing which device recorded it, instead of saying Hopper it shows the RO# which might be confusing to a lot of people!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Went to the bathroom during a show on live TV and the system was rebooting constantly saying cannot connect to the Hopper 3 during reboot. Disconnected the Plus power cycled and got this lovely screen! It appears to be a DOS bios recovery after a major failure on the Hopper. It downloaded rebooted and returned to the message to switch the HDMI back to the Plus. (Now 1:30am) It rebooted again. It found the Hopper this time and live TV. All seems to be ok but the warm fuzzies are long gone and I am left very concerned not just about the Plus but this particular Hopper. I was on the latest P110.
20221112_011900 2.jpg

Went to the bathroom during a show on live TV and the system was rebooting constantly saying cannot connect to the Hopper 3 during reboot. Disconnected the Plus power cycled and got this lovely screen! It appears to be a DOS bios recovery after a major failure on the Hopper. It downloaded rebooted and returned to the message to switch the HDMI back to the Plus. (Now 1:30am) It rebooted again. It found the Hopper this time and live TV. All seems to be ok but the warm fuzzies are long gone and I am left very concerned not just about the Plus but this particular Hopper. I was on the latest P110.View attachment 159313
This is called BootStrap mode. One of two things happens. It completes the process and reboots normally, or it doesn't and is bricked.

This is called BootStrap mode. One of two things happens. It completes the process and reboots normally, or it doesn't and is bricked.
It did complete and fully restarted back to normal. It is working this morning. I am very concerned with several things that just doesn't feel right and not part of the Plus can of worms. This of course, The nightly reboot randomly changes setting and the MOCA week signal warning. I assume "BootStrap" is recovery from a very serious error? I have seen it on a computer but never on a Dish receiver.