Hopper Plus new hardware??

That Hopper Plus has me curious as hell! Scott says it's not a new Hopper. But what else could it be with such a name? Rebranded Hopper 2K with software that doesn't make it as slow as molasses?
Rebranded Hopper Duo with a 2TB internal hard drive, and PTAT and AutoHop capabilities?

Considering that every Hopper Duo is technically refurbished (due to Dish recycling 500GB hard drives from older DVR's to put in the Duo) any new Hopper model could technically not be considered a new model, as long as Dish does the same thing, reusing parts from older receivers to make the new ones.

Alternatively, maybe the Hopper Plus is like a next-generation Hopper Snap, that also adds something (more streaming apps, maybe) to whatever generation Hopper is connected to the Plus. Going modular with any additional features makes sense, since it lowers the cost of the base model receiver for those customers who do not want the additional features. If the Plus functionality were built into the receiver, then Dish would have to have more than one Plus model to accommodate different customers with different needs and budgets. (Hopper 3 Plus, Hopper Duo Plus, etc.)

A "Rohopstick" or "Firehopku"?

The logo could be a "Kangaroo on a Pogo Stick" or a "Kangaroo with its tail on fire staring at it blankly". It could happen!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I would guess it’s an extension of tuners and recording capability. I don’t know if Dish is ready to dive deep into the streaming market. That would be encouraging people to leave by introducing them to the apps. Besides, satellite is designed for those that live in rural areas. A strong connect to internet based programming is a bad idea. I would see that as their AirTV or whatever it is that could do that on the SlingTV side.

A "Rohopstick" or "Firehopku"?

The logo could be a "Kangaroo on a Pogo Stick" or a "Kangaroo with its tail on fire staring at it blankly". It could happen!
Pademelon would have made a lot more sense for that.

call it a PadeyStick to catch. Or teach people about Pademelons. Smallest marsupial.

• Wow
I would guess it’s an extension of tuners and recording capability.
Maybe it's the four-tuner OTA module. Another idea would be to combine the additional OTA tuners and the streaming apps capability into the same module. That way, Dish could sell the module at a slightly higher price to every customer who wants one of those features, whether they want the other feature or not. For those who want both features, it would tie up fewer USB ports this way, by having them combined into one module.

I don’t know if Dish is ready to dive deep into the streaming market. That would be encouraging people to leave by introducing them to the apps. Besides, satellite is designed for those that live in rural areas. A strong connect to internet based programming is a bad idea. I would see that as their AirTV or whatever it is that could do that on the SlingTV side.
The same argument would also apply against adding more apps to any SlingTV devices, as that may encourage more customers to drop SlingTV.

Maybe it's the four-tuner OTA module. Another idea would be to combine the additional OTA tuners and the streaming apps capability into the same module. That way, Dish could sell the module at a slightly higher price to every customer who wants one of those features, whether they want the other feature or not. For those who want both features, it would tie up fewer USB ports this way, by having them combined into one module.

The same argument would also apply against adding more apps to any SlingTV devices, as that may encourage more customers to drop SlingTV.
It would encourage less SlingTV, but those people are already seeking out things like HBOMax, or discovery+

Scott said it is a Joey. Maybe an updated wireless Joey? The wireless joey is the only one that hasn't been updated to the H3 cosmetic scheme. It looks really dated and is slow af. It also is not easy to tuck behind some wall mounted TVs, being as thick as it is.

Also, the Joeys are proving quite limited in their ability to run apps. Maybe more memory for that?

I sure hope not, Hopper Duo is a sad attempt to use up old hardware, really a POS compared to any "real" hopper.

It is really only usable for 1 TV, and even then...
You know, I used to be the biggest defender of the Hopper Duo here. Earlier this year, I finally dumped all of my Hopper Duo and Wally gear, and upgraded to a Hopper 3 instead. That really says something...

Scott said it is a Joey. Maybe an updated wireless Joey? The wireless joey is the only one that hasn't been updated to the H3 cosmetic scheme. It looks really dated and is slow af. It also is not easy to tuck behind some wall mounted TVs, being as thick as it is.

Also, the Joeys are proving quite limited in their ability to run apps. Maybe more memory for that?
Well, the original speculation was about what the so-called "Hopper Plus" could be, if it isn't a new model of Hopper. So, perhaps it is a module that you add to a Joey, to enable the Joey to handle more of the Hopper apps. Evidently, either the Moca connection or the Joey's internal memory (or both) is insufficient to allow all of the apps that are native to the Hopper to also work on the Joey. So, an additional device local to each Joey, that also expands the Joey's memory capability, may make sense.

Well, the original speculation was about what the so-called "Hopper Plus" could be, if it isn't a new model of Hopper. So, perhaps it is a module that you add to a Joey, to enable the Joey to handle more of the Hopper apps. Evidently, either the Moca connection or the Joey's internal memory (or both) is insufficient to allow all of the apps that are native to the Hopper to also work on the Joey. So, an additional device local to each Joey, that also expands the Joey's memory capability, may make sense.
What if it makes the Joey a standalone option. AKa, HopperPLUS... on just a Joey. They have a lot of Joeys in stock so turning them into mini hoppers for say RV would be wise.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
What if it makes the Joey a standalone option. AKa, HopperPLUS... on just a Joey. They have a lot of Joeys in stock so turning them into mini hoppers for say RV would be wise.
Come to think of it, HipKat did say awhile back that there have been a lot fewer Wally installs lately, and that it seems that Dish may be running out of stock on them. Maybe something like your idea is the reason why? Anyway, I hope that whatever tuner module they add to the Joey is at least four-tuner. That would make it a much better option than either a Hopper Duo or a Wally. It would also save Dish the trouble of designing a whole new Wally. Just add some modules to a 4K Joey, and you have a fully-functioning 4K Wally-equivalent. That is, assuming that a module also adds HDR capability to the standalone 4K Joey. That way, even those who are still using the 4K Joey in conjunction with a Hopper will want the new module upgrade.

FWIW:
No new "Hopper DVR's." So, the new Hopper Plus may be the following guesses that are an addition to already installed Dish Whole Home DVR's:
1. Adds additional Sat tuners for Hopper Duo and Wally.
2. Adds two built-in OTA tuners
3. Adds/expands additional local storage of DVR recordings (Not the Archived storage using external HDD)
4. Adds PIP and Sports Bar Mode to Hopper Duo and Wally
5. Provides easy built-in viewing and RECORDING of Locast
6. Provides easy and built in access to SlingTV.
7. Enhances On-line experience and access to several OTT on-line services with sufficient power not necessarily available on all models of Hoppers

The Joey 4 is likely the new UHD (4K) capable Joey with HDR--as another poster also guessed. The Joey 4, we would hope, offers to handle PIP, either 2 channel or--we really hope--Sports Bar Mode 4 channel PIP.

Those are my guesses. I can really hardly wait to see what those new devices can do. I think the new devices are more about bringing older Hoppers up to a Hopper 3 like experience and may even beef up Hopper 3's. It seems Dish finds it more economical to simply add a component to existing DVR hardware that adds more features and power instead of building all new DVR hardware that becomes behind the times of tech demands pretty quickly. Really, the Hopper 3 is a great DVR, but it just needs to be beefed up as time goes by, and a new external networked component is a great way to do this, but what will be the montly cost for Dish Plus and Joey 4? That too offers more revenue for Dish, if people want these features and power.

I was provided with Joey 2's for my two Hopper 3's because that is all the local retailer installer had left that day, so I was looking to upgrade to Joey 3, but now I will certainly wait and see what the Joey 4 offers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pattykay
2. Adds/expands additional local storage of DVR recordings (Not the Archived storage using external HDD)
I like this idea, if that also includes the ability to stream the expanded-storage DVR recordings through Dish Anywhere, unlike EHD recordings.

3. Adds PIP and Sports Bar Mode to Hopper Duo and Wally
Hopper Duo already has PIP. Sports Bar Mode would be nice, and was one of the reasons why I upgraded to Hopper 3.