Hopper Plus new hardware??

I’m not so sure there is much to be gained by Dish taking over DTV. And AT&T would probably not be helpful in such an endeavor.

I don’t think Charlie would be that invested in “winning” and being the last man standing. There’s gotta be money in it. Probably cheaper to poach those customers.

I’m not so sure there is much to be gained by Dish taking over DTV. And AT&T would probably not be helpful in such an endeavor.

I don’t think Charlie would be that invested in “winning” and being the last man standing. There’s gotta be money in it. Probably cheaper to poach those customers.
Eh, IDK. Think of the cost of new installations which would be saved by suddenly just acquiring all of the other service's user base without having to switch them over. Also, with there only being one DBS service, there's lower customer churn and they don't have to be as concerned about price. And by combining services, you've immediately bolstered your buying power when negotiating carriage rates with the network owners.

AT&T clearly wants to be rid of DTV; they tried to sell it off entirely but could only find a buyer who would take part of it. It wouldn't surprise me if Ergen spun off his satellite TV operations apart from the new 5G business and focused mainly on the latter while someone else ran the joint DISH/DTV business.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Joeys yes. New Hoppers no.

All’s I can say is stay tuned. It’s going to be a exciting time to be a dish customer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
that statement contradicts itself, there cannot possibly be an exciting time to be a dish customer coming without new main equipment, and major picture quality improvements and feature updates, and internet streaming integration, but rather we only see price increases, and channel cutoffs during negotiations, and no apparent change in improving the service or equipment or quality of picture, i have been and as of today still am a loyal almost 2 decade long customer, I always have the top of the line equipment, and all channels pack, DISH still slacking on picture quality BIG time, and if it wasn't for my very expensive top of the line sony tv with awesome upconversion capabilities I would not be a DISH customer today, and most likely will not be as of the end of the month, streaming services are adding live channels, put dishs pic quality to shame, there is absolutely no comparison at all, ATMOS is now the standard, not DD5.1, 4K is now standard, not 720P, and yes i understand until local station roll out ntsc3.0 and upgrade the equipment to 4k etc, major networks pic quality cant be much better at this time, but how come it is on DTV, and COMCAST in my area and all other streaming services and even the stand alone apps? thats nonsense get with the times dish. Either tell us what the plans are and they better be substantial or I am out along with many many more people, and no i am not telling others to get comcast or att/dtv as it seems things are progressing to end of life for dishes and cords and everything going to streaming. When I renewed and signed 1 year contract last year i was told the same Sh*t, we have big things coming but we cant tell you what they are, well I have been hearing that and waiting for years, either put up or shut up dish, tell us what the equipment improvements are, what the plans are cause we are tired of waiting, the only thing you have going for you is that the other streaming providers don't have all the channels yet in one place, but considering how crappy the picture quality is on dish i'm starting not to care for that anymore either, as picture and sound takes precedence, the only thing that's coming for sure is more channels to the competitors lineups who are all putting out better picture and sound quality PERIOD. No one even wants a dish on their roof anymore. And nothing pisses me off more then a promise of good things are coming, its been years with nothing!!!, the commercial skip on my hopper 3 that just came out with the last update is the best thing dish came up with in several years, and the only thing, for years before that i have been using the 30 second jump button, so that doesn't speak well to the engineers and thinkers at dish if this is the best thing you can come up with in a decade, DISH is in trouble big time, Id like to know the rate of customer loss at this point. cause it has to be an astonoshing big number. If you truly have big plans DISH tell us NOW please, or lose us. Because it sounds like you don't have any plans at all other then to wither and die. sorry if I am harsh but as a 2 decade paying customer i have seen everything you have been doing, every new receiver has been in my house, the hopper3 is no princess and smart tv software is now more capable then your hardware and software put together, and the new hardware releases have always been years behind, and so has the picture quality and sound improvements. So show me something that you are working on that would make me consider staying.

Please look at what you just wrote. Would you plow through that blob with no paragraphing - I did not.

If I'm writing something that long I try to seperate each sentence into its own paragraph with one line seperations - it is sooo much more readable.

I'm not being critical of what you said. I did not read it because it is so difficult to follow the lines on a computer screen.

Have a nice day and I hope your problem is solved soon.

that statement contradicts itself, there cannot possibly be an exciting time to be a dish customer coming without new main equipment, and major picture quality improvements and feature updates, and internet streaming integration, but rather we only see price increases, and channel cutoffs during negotiations, and no apparent change in improving the service or equipment or quality of picture, i have been and as of today still am a loyal almost 2 decade long customer, I always have the top of the line equipment, and all channels pack, DISH still slacking on picture quality BIG time, and if it wasn't for my very expensive top of the line sony tv with awesome upconversion capabilities I would not be a DISH customer today, and most likely will not be as of the end of the month, streaming services are adding live channels, put dishs pic quality to shame, there is absolutely no comparison at all, ATMOS is now the standard, not DD5.1, 4K is now standard, not 720P, and yes i understand until local station roll out ntsc3.0 and upgrade the equipment to 4k etc, major networks pic quality cant be much better at this time, but how come it is on DTV, and COMCAST in my area and all other streaming services and even the stand alone apps? thats nonsense get with the times dish. Either tell us what the plans are and they better be substantial or I am out along with many many more people, and no i am not telling others to get comcast or att/dtv as it seems things are progressing to end of life for dishes and cords and everything going to streaming. When I renewed and signed 1 year contract last year i was told the same Sh*t, we have big things coming but we cant tell you what they are, well I have been hearing that and waiting for years, either put up or shut up dish, tell us what the equipment improvements are, what the plans are cause we are tired of waiting, the only thing you have going for you is that the other streaming providers don't have all the channels yet in one place, but considering how crappy the picture quality is on dish i'm starting not to care for that anymore either, as picture and sound takes precedence, the only thing that's coming for sure is more channels to the competitors lineups who are all putting out better picture and sound quality PERIOD. No one even wants a dish on their roof anymore. And nothing pisses me off more then a promise of good things are coming, its been years with nothing!!!, the commercial skip on my hopper 3 that just came out with the last update is the best thing dish came up with in several years, and the only thing, for years before that i have been using the 30 second jump button, so that doesn't speak well to the engineers and thinkers at dish if this is the best thing you can come up with in a decade, DISH is in trouble big time, Id like to know the rate of customer loss at this point. cause it has to be an astonoshing big number. If you truly have big plans DISH tell us NOW please, or lose us. Because it sounds like you don't have any plans at all other then to wither and die. sorry if I am harsh but as a 2 decade paying customer i have seen everything you have been doing, every new receiver has been in my house, the hopper3 is no princess and smart tv software is now more capable then your hardware and software put together, and the new hardware releases have always been years behind, and so has the picture quality and sound improvements. So show me something that you are working on that would make me consider staying.
There are always two sides to a discussion and you seem to ignore all that's great with Dish. Like the best DVR in the industry. The Hopper3 is just not good, but it's elegant technology, maybe the best of any technology in my house. Direct TV and Comcast offer an inferior DVR that are clunky and nearly 3rd world in their presentation. What other services offer the same guide consolidation and ease of movement? NOBODY

When I uprgaded my Comcast internet they asked me to test Comcast TV and it was a disaster. The DVR broke the first day, the PQ was terrible (even though I'm the FIRST house west of their satellite tower in my town) so I should have an immaculate picture. Saw my son in laws comcast last week and the picture was soft and distorted and the DVR was so slow.

I was one of the original 12' satellite dish system owners in the 1980s and have seen how satellite and HD has evolved. Compared to Direct TV, Dish offers a superior DVR and comparable picture. In fact with my high end Sony and the right filmed material, even my wife (who doesnt care) comments the PQ is jaw dropping.

All things considered (reliability, PQ, guide consolidation, customer service, elegant fast DVR) there is nothing that rivals Dish Network

There are always two sides to a discussion and you seem to ignore all that's great with Dish. Like the best DVR in the industry. The Hopper3 is just not good, but it's elegant technology, maybe the best of any technology in my house. Direct TV and Comcast offer an inferior DVR that are clunky and nearly 3rd world in their presentation. What other services offer the same guide consolidation and ease of movement? NOBODY

When I uprgaded my Comcast internet they asked me to test Comcast TV and it was a disaster. The DVR broke the first day, the PQ was terrible (even though I'm the FIRST house west of their satellite tower in my town) so I should have an immaculate picture. Saw my son in laws comcast last week and the picture was soft and distorted and the DVR was so slow.

I was one of the original 12' satellite dish system owners in the 1980s and have seen how satellite and HD has evolved. Compared to Direct TV, Dish offers a superior DVR and comparable picture. In fact with my high end Sony and the right filmed material, even my wife (who doesnt care) comments the PQ is jaw dropping.

All things considered (reliability, PQ, guide consolidation, customer service, elegant fast DVR) there is nothing that rivals Dish Network
AMEN

Reactions: jannah
You know, I've been mulling this. Scott is not a man that does not choose his words carefully.

Just think of exactly what he said, "No New Hoppers." That means exactly that, no new "HOPPERS." There is nothing in that statement that the next generation of main receiver/transceiver box which says it's going to be called a 'Hopper X.

Dish can unveil a next-gen revolutionary solution that combines satellite, OTA, and stream seamlessly, so you never know just where a program is coming from. They can offer channels on the guide that some are from above. Some are OTA. Some are UDP real-time streamed (the way that Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Apple TV, etc. do it, not a single stream but UDP multi-streaming so that each receiver (like Netflix) can watch any show any time, pause it and come right back to it anytime later. The technology to do this is so mature it's old enough to buy a drink at a bar!

So no new Hoppers, Hum... Let's think about that for a second.

Just what is in that statement that the "new device" can't be called the "Gladiator" ?? Pick any name that marketing thinks is sexy and powerful.

Myself? As a futurist, I'm putting my money that we're going to see a hyper-converged technology device that seamlessly offers Live, On-Demand, On-Demand Real-Time Streamed and the ability to record and save any such of the above offerings.

Instead of subscribing to channel packs, you may be subscribing to 'Stream Packs.'

Does anyone want to lay Vegas odds on it?

Dish has the content, relationships, current backbone, a rapidly expanding bandwidth capability.
Just saying.....

What I've gleaned from speculation is that one of the new devices will plug into the Hopper USB 3.0 port and expand the Hopper capabilities, probably in the internet connectivity arena.

The next Hopper will probably be the one that moves Dish from satellite channel delivery to IP channel delivery in addition to streaming apps for YouTube, Amazon Prime and all the others that will cooperate.

Perhaps Dish will partner with local internet providers to offer a bundle that includes local super high speed internet plus all of Dishes programming channels that once were satellite carried.

Reactions: bookworm370
Here's my 2 cent worth input. I agree with most here the next Dish device will have more capability for better streaming. I have been using a Roku device last couple weeks, and so impresssed with it. Amazon stick is pretty good, but I get much more with Roku (except Dish anywhere app that Fire stick provides.) I am hoping Dish will hire some of Roku engineers to work on their next project.
I just subscribed to commercial free streaming service called curious stream. 13 bucks a year. Then, up to $20. Vey easy to stream with Roku. Just checked. It went up to $14.99.

not that believe there will be new hopper, but even if there was new hardware it will not save image quality, it was questionable on 1080p tv do to fact nothing is actual 1080p and even if it was it so highly compressed it dont matter, it worse now 4k sets, And there still great deal of SD content channels too.

I would not mind addon so i do all my streaming from my hopper and I would mind newer verison of 4k joey, that thing runs ridiculously hot, less newer verisons of 4k joey running cooler cause still have ones I got back in 2016.

I might be intrested in Hopper that use SSD simply cause i cant stand sound hdd make

Their price hikes are getting ridiculous, but that is another story, there about to be dumped after 20+ years

not that believe there will be new hopper, but even if there was new hardware it will not save image quality, it was questionable on 1080p tv do to fact nothing is actual 1080p and even if it was it so highly compressed it dont matter, it worse now 4k sets,
I and most people would argue that the PQ is very good. Every customer coming from another service remarks on it. Have you looked at Calibrating your TV?

I and most people would argue that the PQ is very good. Every customer coming from another service remarks on it. Have you looked at Calibrating your TV?
yes I have, Dish only thing that look horrible on my tv. and i mostly complain about how baddly it compressed how most content isnt even 1080p, my uncles just got dish to see it better then fios and he absolute despises the PQ and i usual have to point that stuff out to him just so notices it. There PQ is not good as use to be and certainly does not fair well on 4k VS 1080p TV seeing how many channels are sub 1080p to begin with. yes scaler in each tv is not the same, but that stuff only does so much

These are just my opinion though.

Well, I’ve seen Dish AND FiOS on different TVs. FiOS generally looked better. BUT this depended upon the TV, I say, more than any other factor.

My Sony 900 UHDTV upscales better than my Samsung HDTV, and far better than my old beloved JVC RPTV 720p. Makes all the difference in the world.

Remember, 720p has twice the frame rate of 1080i, and can be better for fast action.

Dish PQ is fine IMHO. I rarely get better in an Internet download. Only stuff natively UHD.

Well, I’ve seen Dish AND FiOS on different TVs. FiOS generally looked better. BUT this depended upon the TV, I say, more than any other factor.

My Sony 900 UHDTV upscales better than my Samsung HDTV, and far better than my old beloved JVC RPTV 720p. Makes all the difference in the world.

Remember, 720p has twice the frame rate of 1080i, and can be better for fast action.

Dish PQ is fine IMHO. I rarely get better in an Internet download. Only stuff natively UHD.
I have the same TV, the Sony 900./ It's very, very nice.

tsunami2311 What receiver do you have?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts