Hopper Poll

Upgrade yes or no

• Total voters
They were not Sling issues but tcp/ip issues they couldn't overcome like they thought they could.
Its hard to buy it was just TCP/IP issues. There are plenty of video over ip solutions that work just fine.

I never thought sling was the right answer for inside the house, but blaming IP is a stretch.

Why do you have a fix? :)
Nope. But, I'm sure I could find a dozen engineers who could figure it out, rather quickly. After all, there are probably dozens of devices that stream video across tcp/ip networks (UDP, UPnP, etc). Shoot. That's what DLNA does. That's what the Airplay does. That's how one can view the Sling Adapter and standard Slingbox on their PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.

The reason there is no Sling Extender is most likely the same reason there is no ability to view the Sling Adapter on the Logitech Revue/GTV - They don't wanna lose that extra receiver fee.

Agreed. I play videos over my home network from one laptop to another through Microsoft's Homegroup. Even worked great wirelessly.

Nope. But, I'm sure I could find a dozen engineers who could figure it out, rather quickly. After all, there are probably dozens of devices that stream video across tcp/ip networks (UDP, UPnP, etc). Shoot. That's what DLNA does. That's what the Airplay does. That's how one can view the Sling Adapter and standard Slingbox on their PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.

The reason there is no Sling Extender is most likely the same reason there is no ability to view the Sling Adapter on the Logitech Revue/GTV - They don't wanna lose that extra receiver fee.

There may have been protocol issues, but it would have been the Sling protocol, not IP.

QOS, etc aren't really an issue on a wired, switched LAN where any two points on the LAN have a full duplex 100Mbit connection. Traffic on other devices would have no impact. Dodgy homeplug and wireless connections are a different matter, and probably a legitimate support concern for Dish

There may have been protocol issues, but it would have been the Sling protocol, not IP.

QOS, etc aren't really an issue on a wired, switched LAN where any two points on the LAN have a full duplex 100Mbit connection. Traffic on other devices would have no impact. Dodgy homeplug and wireless connections are a different matter, and probably a legitimate support concern for Dish
They could make it ethernet/wi-fi only, if that were the case.

As I've said before, the most likely reason for discontinuing the Sling Extender was not wanting to lose the extra receiver fee. The Joey is basically an acting Sling Extender, for all practical purposes. But, with more functionality. And, most importantly, a $7/mo fee.

One wonders where all the test Sling Extenders went... Sure would like to get my hands on one and see for myself how dodgy the connection is via my hardwired GigE switched network. ;) If it worked, Dish would definitely lose $10/mo unless they wanted to charge me a similar fee for the Sling Extender.

One wonders where all the test Sling Extenders went... Sure would like to get my hands on one and see for myself how dodgy the connection is via my hardwired GigE switched network. ;) If it worked, Dish would definitely lose $10/mo unless they wanted to charge me a similar fee for the Sling Extender.
I'd pay $7 for a sling extender because I wouldn't have to dump my VIP for the ever so special Hopper. I might even pay $10.

How about they offer us one and see what we say. A DIRT member can PM me so they will know where to send the offer.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts