Hopper reliability : like 622, or is it like 922 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skj

Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
bay area, california
Been a dish customer for long time, and have very much touched their all DVRs. DVR 622 sticks in memory for all the good reliable time I had, and 922 has been nothing but frustration in dealing with both hardware and software.

My 922 died couple of days back(2nd time), waiting for replacement. But been also thinking that its good time to move to a different receiver. Posts here don't give me a good feeling if Hopper is any different in reliability than what 922 was.

So, question really is - while using Hopper, do you feel its like 622 or 922 ?

Based on that, I am planning on either going to Hopper or go back to 722.

The hardware "feels" rock solid. There's no way to know about true reliability of the hardware since it's only a month old. Check back in the hopper forum a year from now.

The software should be pretty darn good after a few more updates. Don't expect a bug free experience right now. It's still an early adopter experience.

At least most of the install problems seem to have subsided for the most part. Not seeing too many of those "nightmare install" posts anymore.

skj said:
Been a dish customer for long time, and have very much touched their all DVRs. DVR 622 sticks in memory for all the good reliable time I had, and 922 has been nothing but frustration in dealing with both hardware and software.

To be honest don't go to a 722k. You get only 2 tuners , less functionality etc. The hopper is exactly like the 922 except for prime time any time and a larger hard drive the hopper has. I have the hopper now and love it. Great channel logos , nice ui , huge hard drive space , PTAT . Not all the hopper units are bad because even if you get a bad one, have dish replace it for you. The hopper will have software updates done on it to make it better each time.

My 922 died couple of days back(2nd time), waiting for replacement. But been also thinking that its good time to move to a different receiver. Posts here don't give me a good feeling if Hopper is any different in reliability than what 922 was.

I've owned a 622, 612, 922 and now a Hopper. The Hopper is by far the most stable of them all. There are a few bugs but crashes/freezes are nonexistent. I have had to reset Hopper a couple of times to get the Sling Adapter working again and once to get the external drive to be recognized. The 922 was by far the least stable and feature poor of all receivers.

I went from the 622, to the 922, and then to the Hopper. I don't recall really having any issues with the 622 (even lucked out and avoided the infamous HDMI glitches.) 922 for me was an absolute nightmare... If I didn't reboot it every couple days, it would lock up on me. Random timers wouldn't record, at least once a week the guide would only have 1 day, etc. Needless to say a very unhappy wife. Hopper has been VERY stable for me. I think the first week it needed to be rebooted once, and has never again. Only real annoying issue is occasionally I swear a timer disappears, though haven't been able to prove yet it was my wife, it, or I ;) Regardless I would take the Hopper any day over the 622 and 922.

-Mike

Perhaps you would be happiest if you revisited this upgrade in June. That will give time for a few more bugs to be worked out. And by then, perhaps a timeline for full Hopper integration with a second Hopper will be out, as well as the USB OTA tuner.

I've had the opposite experience with the 622 I've had 3 so far and like clockwork they die after a year I have a 722 now that has 3 months to go before it should die. I've think about going with a hopper, but I have a few reservations. Those to have the hopper how noisy is it? The fan in the 622/722 is annoying I have mine located inside my bedroom closet and a night I can still hear the fan thru the closet door.

The fan might run less if it wasn't in in the closet.

My 622 & 722 were both reliable for years, hoping for a similar success story with the Hoppers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)