Hopper Remote Control Sticky Key

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Does anyone know a trick to clear up a remote control sticky key? I tried blowing compressed air around the key, but no luck. How about about compressed air electrical contact cleaner! Might be a weak spring from so much skipping forward! I read someplace that Dish will send replacements for up to three defective remote controls a year. Does anyone know for sure?

Usually when they get to that point I get a replacement from Dish. Not sure how often they'll do it but I only do it maybe once a year.

I've found most of the time they stick because the rubber gets caught on the side of the surrounding plastic. Corn starch works for a while.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Usually when they get to that point I get a replacement from Dish. Not sure how often they'll do it but I only do it maybe once a year.

I've found most of the time they stick because the rubber gets caught on the side of the surrounding plastic. Corn starch works for a while.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Thanks for the tip. When I get the replacement I will play around with it and try the corn starch.

If you can take it apart, gently clean the rubber button pad and the plastic case with regular dish soap and an old toothbrush, let it air dry before you put it all back together, or dry it with a hair dryer on low. While you have it apart, clean the black contacts on the back of the button pad and the matching contacts on the circuit board with a pink eraser. Remote should work fine after that.

Sticky buttons are usually dirt and crap that have worked its way into around the button or something spilled onto the remote. some remotes are held together with a screw, screw and clips, usually plastic clips along the sides that can be a pain to pop loose without breaking. Don't know on that remote for sure how it's held together, usually gently prying and pushing in on the clips along the side seam of the two case halves releases them.

Last edited:
If you can take it apart, gently clean the rubber button pad and the plastic case with regular dish soap and an old toothbrush, let it air dry before you put it all back together, or dry it with a hair dryer on low. While you have it apart, clean the black contacts on the back of the button pad and the matching contacts on the circuit board with a pink eraser. Remote should work fine after that.

Sticky buttons are usually dirt and crap that have worked its way into around the button or something spilled onto the remote. some remotes are held together with a screw, screw and clips, usually plastic clips along the sides that can be a pain to pop loose without breaking. Don't know on that remote for sure how it's held together, usually gently prying and pushing in on the clips along the side releases them.

Thanks. If electrical contact and corn starch doesn't work, I will try your method. I think it will pry apart.

Well Mr. 3HaloODST your corn starch idea worked great fixing my remote control sticky button problem. I first tried electrical contact cleaner and it didn't help. So after it dried out good I applied a little corn starch, worked the button some, and then blew it out good with compressed air. She works good as new now. Good idea, thanks.

for keeping the remote control clean and always looking new, just toss it inside a clear zip lock plastic bag & tape the bag on the sides to conform to the remote contour, it'll not affect any function of the remote, IR or RF

for keeping the remote control clean and always looking new, just toss it inside a clear zip lock plastic bag & tape the bag on the sides to conform to the remote contour, it'll not affect any function of the remote, IR or RF

I think Saran Wrap would work better!

Why does this remind me of our couch in the 50s.... :D

furniturecovers.png

Is there a way for the OP to reprogram the sticky key to another key using the learning function?
Just thinking outside the box

We also have the skip forward button sticking on our Family Room Hopper. Did you take the remote apart, or just sprinkle on the outside?

I took a toothpick and dipped tip in the corn starch to just get a little bit on it and then spread it around the button. Worked the button several times and then blew it out with compressed air can.