SEC & Longhorn Networks

D. Manley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
United States
Best I can tell from Dish is these will "be available" on the Top 120 package and above. Is it safe to assume these will be automatically added to those subscription packages with no additional premium fees?

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Best I can tell from Dish is these will "be available" on the Top 120 package and above. Is it safe to assume these will be automatically added to those subscription packages with no additional premium fees?

If Dish thinks they can make us in the West (or those in the Midwest or East, etc) subsidize Texas or the SEC, there will be a full-scale riot. Many of us have no interest in these channels. I sure hope Dish is smart enough to go the RSN route on these.

To answer your question, I have not seen any specifics on how these would shake out on the packages.

There's plenty of information. They are not going to be like RSN's and will be in the packages 120+ and above. It's anybody's guess how it will impact the package prices, but it won't till next year. They cost nothing like an RSN does. Out of market SEC it will cost 25 cents per subscriber. I believe in market $1.25. Longhorn less. Because of the cost, I have no problem having them in the packages. I see it no differently than other channels I may or may not watch, again based on the price.
I don't think anyone assumes adding channels will cost nothing.

Last edited:
There's plenty of information. They are not going to be like RSN's and will be in the packages 120+ and above. It's anybody's guess how it will impact the package prices, but it won't till next year. They cost nothing like an RSN does. Out of market SEC it will cost 25 cents per subscriber. I believe in market $1.25. Longhorn less.

So bottom line, they will automatically be included in mid to upper tier packages and any price increase will simply be rolled into next year's pricing?

Yes. Believe me as cost is concerned these aren't even a blip on a pin head compared to the Disney channels.

I'm with you guys, but even added to the sports pack, our prices won't go down. They just won't.

And there won't be a mass riot over these being added to the basic packages either. It will be like any other year, except certain SEC fans will be happy.

May not be a blip on a pin head, but continues to set a precedent of adding crap 90-95% of viewers don't want but continue to have to pay for.

I would say far more than 10 to 5% of viewers will watch at the least some of the games. College sports has far more dedicated must see the game fans than Pro sports and University ties are generally strong. Those that have moved away will appreciate having games available.
While I live where I went to College, I still would watch some of the games from other conferences on a Saturday afternoon. If Direct TV does not pick up the conferences DISH now carries, I foresee a bump in subscribers in some areas and I don't usually think a particular channel will do that. But College sports is that much different.

Last edited:
Then riddle me this - why are BIG10 and PAC12 add-ons associated with the multi-sprt pack? Dish has set this MO and that seems like a pretty good method - the footprint states get it as 120+, everyone else pays extra IF THEY WANT IT.

Maybe misspoke when I said 'RSNs' but having virtually *every* subscriber 120-up subsidize and get these seems pretty unfair, IMO. Not just price, but what about hogging precious HD space to carry them? And one of these two channels is associated with just ONE university (don't get me started there).

Probably because when it comes to college football and ratings, the SEC consistently leads. They figure , most likely rightly, that it will pay off.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

As for the longhorn network, only thing I can figure is they hooked it to the sec on negotiations as they figured that's the only way to sell it.

Texas kissed gold on this round.

I would say far more than 10 to 5% of viewers will watch at the least some of the games. College sports has far more dedicated must see the game fans than Pro sports and University ties are generally strong. Those that have moved away will appreciate having games available.
While I live where I went to College, I still would watch some of the games from other conferences on a Saturday afternoon. If Direct TV does not pick up the conferences DISH now carries, I foresee a bump in subscribers in some areas and I don't usually think a particular channel will do that. But College sports is that much different.

I agree. I'll go to whatever provider carries this if DirecTV does not.

Its one of the few id do that for.

I don't agree. We haven't seen a mass exodus of Pac 12 fans from Directv. We see people on here complaining about the absence of MSG and YES on Dish, yet they are still Dish customers. The sec ratings have been no better than Big 12 or Big 10 ratings, however espn has the power to push their adopted baby into a base package nationwide where it does NOT belong. I would have no problem with this if it was handled like the Big 10 Net as a base channel in the south only, even though I think all sports should be in a sports pack or moved to a middle tier and out of base packages.

I love sports and watch and attend a lot of games, but this really needs to stop. Pay tv is a luxury item, but it is close to becoming a luxury that not even the middle class will be able to afford, and one a stingy old bastard like myself is becoming unwilling to pay. :eek: I was really hoping Dish would take a stand on what went in the base packages, but then they got the streaming rights and sold out the tv viewers. I stand by my estimate 90% of viewers do not want to pay extra for these specialty channels in a base package. They are perfectly happy with what games are presented on the national channels. Everyone can say they will switch and they gotta have it on this board, but as always this board is a subset of viewers that does not represent the common everyday viewers.

I can see the base package going up another $10 or so in the next year or two as Fox is going to want FS1 in the base package and CBS and NBC will want equal treatment as well, plus the yearly escalators in espn's contract. We've already seen NBCSN dropped to AT200 so it's not a stretch to see it going to the base package with the next round of negotiations. If CBS decides to make a real push with CBSSN then they will want it in a competitive to position to the other sports channels.

Ok my rants over, go back to praising this junk and planning your ETF and provider jumping now. :rolleyes:

Then riddle me this - why are BIG10 and PAC12 add-ons associated with the multi-sprt pack? Dish has set this MO and that seems like a pretty good method - the footprint states get it as 120+, everyone else pays extra IF THEY WANT IT. Maybe misspoke when I said 'RSNs' but having virtually *every* subscriber 120-up subsidize and get these seems pretty unfair, IMO. Not just price, but what about hogging precious HD space to carry them? And one of these two channels is associated with just ONE university (don't get me started there).
ESPN is why.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. ..even if those two channels where not there...If dish wanted to...they would raise the package prices...unless you make significant changes to equipment and programming and try to work around the system...you will not see a price decrease no matter what

I don't agree. We haven't seen a mass exodus of Pac 12 fans from Directv. We see people on here complaining about the absence of MSG and YES on Dish, yet they are still Dish customers.
Most wont, as a sports fan, I am well aware that I am in the minority taking the whole sub base into account. SEC fans are generally more rabid on making sure they have their games though IMO.

The sec ratings have been no better than Big 12 or Big 10 ratings, however espn has the power to push their adopted baby into a base package nationwide where it does NOT belong. I would have no problem with this if it was handled like the Big 10 Net as a base channel in the south only, even though I think all sports should be in a sports pack or moved to a middle tier and out of base packages.

Actually, the SEC rating WERE better.
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

That said, I agree with you that ESPN is pushing this hard, and I would be fine if it were in the sports pack outside of the south.

I love sports and watch and attend a lot of games, but this really needs to stop. Pay tv is a luxury item, but it is close to becoming a luxury that not even the middle class will be able to afford, and one a stingy old bastard like myself is becoming unwilling to pay. :eek:
Getting to that point myself. Really the only way to keep costs low for the customer is to play the provider swap game. Some do not like to do it, but it has saved me a fair bit of money over the past few years. Full price cost is just ridiculous.

Everyone can say they will switch and they gotta have it on this board, but as always this board is a subset of viewers that does not represent the common everyday viewers.

Agreed, I would swap, but I am certainly not in the majority.

can see the base package going up another $10 or so in the next year or two as Fox is going to want FS1 in the base package and CBS and NBC will want equal treatment as well, plus the yearly escalators in espn's contract. We've already seen NBCSN dropped to AT200 so it's not a stretch to see it going to the base package with the next round of negotiations. If CBS decides to make a real push with CBSSN then they will want it in a competitive to position to the other sports channels.
Highly probable.

Ok my rants over, go back to praising this junk and planning your ETF and provider jumping now. :rolleyes:

Not praising it, but my plan and timeframe for doing it if nothing changes is pretty much set. :)

It isn't an RSN, nothing like an RSN the only similarity being they carry sports programming. RSN's are not allowed to give you the Pro sports out of market and that is the big reason they must be treated differently than regular channels.
These networks are the exact opposite, they are meant to bring the games to everyone wherever they are. I'm getting the idea some don't understand what the SEC or Longhorn and all the others really are. They are for the most part low cost channels much more like the regular channels in the packages. All of them being in the multi-sport might work, not a terrible idea, but again the problem is they are not expensive, putting them in that add on might make them more expensive. And that's because that would happen with regular channels if you did that. (The fantasy A la Carte saving money idea) It is the extreme minority that would say that over the total cost of quite alot under a $1 for all of them there is a problem.

If you are against any channels being added to the packages unless you like that channels, Satellite or Cable ain't for you. While I generally agree about sports should be separated out, that is because of the high cost, not simply because it's sports. These don't fit that, they are not high cost channels.

I don't agree. We haven't seen a mass exodus of Pac 12 fans from Directv. We see people on here complaining about the absence of MSG and YES on Dish, yet they are still Dish customers....

Do we know that an "X" number of Pac 12 fans have not left Direct TV? There are some who have stayed with DISH and continue to complain, so I have to agree there, but again, do we know how many actually have stayed past their contract?

The other part of it is how many are not signing up with Direct TV now or won't soon, and will with DISH instead, especially if DIRECT does not pick up any of these. Most of us from the Northeast especially, even those like myself who follow my College sports, have any idea of how important local college (and high school) sports are to those in the South and West literally to everyday life. I'd say most (not all) are not partial to their provider to the point of choosing it over their College games if they realize they can get them elsewhere.

On the flip side some Directv customers at least on the forums want SEC so badly, everybody else either don't care or don't really want it or they'll see a significant jump in price increases, probably more than the usual increase every year.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)