Hopper repair

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
What about an HR24 ?
The easiest way to replace a bad drive in an HR24 or Genie is to connect an external hard drive via the eSATA port. The external hard drive will be automatically formatted and the receiver will disable the internal hard drive replacing it with the external drive. When the receiver is rebooted with the external drive disconnected, the internal drive will reactivate. Just about any drive can be used via the eSATA port. You'll need to get either an SATA to eSATA adapter or dock or a hard drive enclosure with an eSATA port.

Can the hard drive in the Hopper 3 be replaced with any drive?
It would have to be a 2TB drive, and even then, it would only work with certain specific models that the Hopper 3 is programmed to recognize. So, unless you already have another purchased Hopper 3 that failed for some other reason, it is hardly worth the effort to find another compatible drive to do the swap.

If Dish replaces a broken Hopper I own, will I own the replacement?
With the Protection Plan, or if the broken Hopper is still under warranty, definitely. Otherwise, you may be able to negotiate for a free "purchased" replacement, or Dish may want you to agree to a lease with a two-year contract. If you want the replacement to be considered "purchased" then make sure you specifically ask for that, and then log into your mydish account and watch it like a hawk to make sure that the replacement stays listed as Purchased.

Reactions: charlesrshell
With the Protection Plan, or if the broken Hopper is still under warranty, definitely. Otherwise, you may be able to negotiate for a free "purchased" replacement, or Dish may want you to agree to a lease with a two-year contract. If you want the replacement to be considered "purchased" then make sure you specifically ask for that, and then log into your mydish account and watch it like a hawk to make sure that the replacement stays listed as Purchased.
How long do I need to have the protection plan before I can get a Hopper replaced?

How long do I need to have the protection plan before I can get a Hopper replaced?
Try to negotiate for a free replacement without adding the protection plan first. If Dish insists that you would need the protection plan to get a free replacement, then it can be added on the same phone call (or chat) when you ask about getting the replacement. When you get the replacement, the protection plan can be dropped immediately, but there is a penalty for doing so. Otherwise, you would have to keep the protection plan for several months before you can drop it without any penalty.

Try to negotiate for a free replacement without adding the protection plan first. If Dish insists that you would need the protection plan to get a free replacement, then it can be added on the same phone call (or chat) when you ask about getting the replacement. When you get the replacement, the protection plan can be dropped immediately, but there is a penalty for doing so. Otherwise, you would have to keep the protection plan for several months before you can drop it without any penalty.
Thanks

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)