Hopper runs HOT!

GregN

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
My hopper is running hot and is has good ventilation but has been freezing and locking up in the afternoon the temp in the house is between 75 and 80. Anyone else having issues?

Greg

What are your temps when you hit YELLOW - BLUE - TESTS - COUNTERS - Scroll to HDD temps?

Last edited:
3HaloODST said:
What are your temps when you hit YELLOW - BLUE - TESTS - COUNTERS - Scroll to HDD temps?

Hdd high temp 125

Hdd low temp 32

Hdd average temp 114 F

Temps look about right... How many times has your Hopper frozen today? You only have one Hopper, right? S213 has been problematic with many people in regards to networking and freezing/rebooting. I personally have experienced both. I had one of my Hoppers freeze and reboot 3 times in a row one day, then suddenly the next day no more freezing since. So hopefully it will do the same for you.

3HaloODST said:
Temps look about right... How many times has your Hopper frozen today? You only have one Hopper, right? S213 has been problematic with many people in regards to networking and freezing/rebooting. I personally have experienced both. I had one of my Hoppers freeze and reboot 3 times in a row one day, then suddenly the next day no more freezing since. So hopefully it will do the same for you.

I have 1 hopper and s213 sounds like the same symptoms My wife is home and freezes for her once every two days and she reboots.

I have had the Joey black screen over the weekend and rebooted Hopper to bring the video back on both my joeys.

The issues all started around S213 but it been hot lately so not sure what is the cause since it is intermittent during the heat of the day.

-G

I'm leaning toward S213. I have also intermittently had issues similar to yours involving the Joeys since S213. We keep the house here in the 70s I'm pretty sure the Hoppers aren't overheating. My temps are also similar to yours on all 3 of my Hoppers. Dish really needs to release a fixed update, or better yet, actually test their software before they send it out.

3HaloODST said:
I'm leaning toward S213. I have also intermittently had issues similar to yours involving the Joeys since S213. We keep the house here in the 70s I'm pretty sure the Hoppers aren't overheating. My temps are also similar to yours on all 3 of my Hoppers. Dish really needs to release a fixed update, or better yet, actually test their software before they send it out.

I will wait for S214 also to see if it fixes the issues.... thanks for the sanity check.

-G

Though it does not sound like an issue in your case, I do have a tip for others who might have overheating problems with their Hoppers. When my dad noticed one of our Hoppers was running really warm, he grabbed one of those USB powered laptop coolers we had lying around and plugged it into one of the spare USB ports on the Hopper. The fan powered right up and is helping to keep it cool. So it looks like a really easy and simple solution is to just go grab a laptop cooler somewhere and use it for your Hoppers.

navychop said:
Bidder Bidder Bidder What do I hear for 215? 216?
;)

I have had every HD DVR since the 921 and I have had the Hopper from day one and it has been stable until S213. Heat could be the issue we will see. Msoft put a variable speed fan in the x-box for the heat ring of death issues.

lol what a tank the 921 .... and yes I dished out $999 for it state of art in 2004.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-video-recorders-dvrs/dish-networks-dvr-921/4505-6474_7-30799056.html

I did Voom too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voom

Those were the good old days with 2 HD channels.

-G

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts