Hopper S222 Feedback

Two issues experienced today:
1) I couldn't view anything on the External Hard Drive, as it said I needed to have that feature enabled. I've had no troubles before today transferring and watching shows on the EHD.
2) I couldn't go into the My Rentals folder, similar to on S221.

A reboot allowed me to go into the My Rentals folder, but wants me to REFORMAT my EHD because "The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another DISH Network account." I recently had my phone (Frontier) bundle with my DISH. Could this be the cause? Did I REALLY just lose all my movies on the EHD??? I haven't reformatted it yet...is there any way to save it??

UPDATE: Nope...no way to save the shows. :( I got three PPV credits to replace a couple movies my wife hasn't watched yet, but I hope this serves as a warning to those looking to "bundle": move your shows to the internal drive before the end of your billing period!!

Last edited:
My second Hopper changed from "Basement" to R7485858444. I also can't view shows from my 2nd Hopper. I bounced both Hoppers, didn't help.

I am not sure if this is a 222 issue or an on going issue as I am new to Hopper/Joey as of this weekend. Everytime we are finished watching a DVR show and delete it, when we get back to live TV we here no sound from the channel we were previously on before watching the DVR show. We have to change channels in order to get sound back. Very annoying.

eichenberg said:
I am not sure if this is a 222 issue or an on going issue as I am new to Hopper/Joey as of this weekend. Everytime we are finished watching a DVR show and delete it, when we get back to live TV we here no sound from the channel we were previously on before watching the DVR show. We have to change channels in order to get sound back. Very annoying.

That's what happens to me when I exit the Pandora app.

I just had my Hopper go nuts after performing a search. This time I was kicked out of the program search menu and my hopper acted like someone was repeatedly hitting the back button on the remote except when i would power off the Hopper it would power back on. A red button reset corrected the issue.

Two issues experienced today:
1) I couldn't view anything on the External Hard Drive, as it said I needed to have that feature enabled. I've had no troubles before today transferring and watching shows on the EHD.
2) I couldn't go into the My Rentals folder, similar to on S221.

A reboot allowed me to go into the My Rentals folder, but wants me to REFORMAT my EHD because "The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another DISH Network account." I recently had my phone (Frontier) bundle with my DISH. Could this be the cause? Did I REALLY just lose all my movies on the EHD??? I haven't reformatted it yet...is there any way to save it??

UPDATE: Nope...no way to save the shows. :( I got three PPV credits to replace a couple movies my wife hasn't watched yet, but I hope this serves as a warning to those looking to "bundle": move your shows to the internal drive before the end of your billing period!!

There is a household ID/key used for the EHD's and that is how the equipment knows if the reciever you are connecting it to is on the same account. When you bundle the account, your account number changes therefore the EHD thinks the receiver is from another account and won't let you access the content or use the EHD unless you reformat it.

That's what happens to me when I exit the Pandora app.
That used to happen to mine, when I first powered up from standby. It's been ok, as far as that issue goes, for a few SW updates now.

Just thinking out loud here, but it sounds like they are simply storing the current guide in a variable rather than in a config file or a db.

Reboot the box, lose the variable.

Easy to test, on Joey, select a guide that isn't my channels. Then do a power button reset or unplug it.

If it loses the guide it is only stored in memory, not in a config file.

Don't forget hopper reboots nightly which would wipe the variable. Joey only reboots when the software is updated.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Just thinking out loud here, but it sounds like they are simply storing the current guide in a variable rather than in a config file or a db.

Reboot the box, lose the variable.

Easy to test, on Joey, select a guide that isn't my channels. Then do a power button reset or unplug it.

If it loses the guide it is only stored in memory, not in a config file.

Don't forget hopper reboots nightly which would wipe the variable. Joey only reboots when the software is updated.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
A Dish engineer said that the behavior was deliberate. Their reasoning for doing it is that CS was getting calls from customers complaining of lost channels in the guide, which were caused by the customers not knowing they had a Favorites list selected. By defaulting to My Channels, they think they are reducing calls to CS.

Flawed logic, of course. If the receivers were properly documented, and CSR's properly trained, it would be a non-issue. Plus, they are certainly aggravating far more subs by doing this, as the whole point of Favorites lists is as a substitute for the built-in guides with their flotsam and detritus cluttering up the screen, and making it hard to find anything.

And, it doesn't do it on the Joey! So, how much CS load are they really saving?

OK. Two things to share...

1) I would like to have the "All Channels" back

2) This has happened twice. While watching a recorded program, one of the cats walked on the remote and sent the Hopper into La La Land and when I attempted to resume the recorded program, the sound was off. The only way I found to restore the sound was by shutting off the Hopper via the remote for a moment and then resuming the program. ???

Perhaps I was asking too much of the Hopper, however it appears that recording 3 things at once, transferring recordings to EHD, and watching a show over DLNA makes the Hopper spontaneously reboot. Also made it erase one of the shows being transferred each time it did it. Otherwise the Hopper seemed fine, no slowdowns no nothing, but 10 minutes into doing the previously mentioned activities at once and like clockwork it would just spontaneously reboot (no freezing or anything, just watching my show one second and the next second I see the Hopper logo.) It happened twice and I just ceased the EHD activity until I put it on standby later that night.

I had an issue with S222 that I haven't seen until tonight. I received the "shut down to check for update prompt" while watching a DVR recording and I chose "No" but yet my Hopper still power down to the logo screen. I turned my Hopper back on and chose my recording I was playing and it automatically shut down to a black screen. I have been seeing this black screen now and then since S222 so I looked over at my External Hard Drive and saw the lights blinking fast meaning that the hard drive is being read which means that my system is preforming the System Integrity Check w/o the prompts on the screen. (Don't turn off receiver, etc) I go a do something for an hour and when I return my Hopper is back to normal.

Also if my Hopper is doing the SIC/nightly update and I switch over to the the HDMI port my GoogleTV (Hopper connected through Revue) while it's in the middle of the SIC I'll get a solid pink screen. This has been happening regularly since S221 and that is why I just shut off my TV and went and completed housework when I experienced the black screen tonight.

I'm now having the issue again where there is no audio when I power up from standby. Changing the channel brings it back.

Oddly, this did not start when the Hopper was first updated to S222. It worked OK, at first. It just started a few days ago.

I had the same issue a few SW versions ago. But, I don't remember which version.

Ya I'm having the same problem. cannot access video on demand or bb. I have software s222. Every time i click on bb it goes black then back to live tv. I have reset it and hard reset it. I also reset network. also reset modem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts