Hopper scare - Recordings cancelled and timers missing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
Do I need service? Story follows:

My hopper was acting a bit weird last night. Changing selection on the recordings screen was noticeably slower so I figured it was time for a reboot. It was recording a program so I decided to wait. I checked to make sure it was recording The Walking Dead tonight and everything was set. After enough time had passed to skip by commercials I tried to view The Walking Dead only find it not there! I checked the log which said "Recording cancelled by Family Room". I sure as heck didn't do that. Fortunately there was another showing in an hour so I added that to the queue and watched some other recorded programs. I checked to see if it was recording and DAMN! It said recording cancelled again. Clearly time for a reboot, so I hit the red button. The system restarts and I try to set a timer for another showing. This time I see "0 Timers". :eek: Sure enough my list of 50 timers is now empty. Ok, perhaps a full power cycle is needed. I turn off power, count to 15 and turn it back on. System restarts and... zero timers. :confused:

I wait a few minutes trying to figure out what to do next when slowly timers start to pop back into the system. In about five minutes all the timers are back. I try to set up a timer to catch the missing episode only to see the DVR has already queued up and event. I go to bed and hope for the best. The next morning I find the event recorded and everything appears back to normal. Has anyone else seen behavior like this? Should I consider replacing the unit? I don't look forward to re-entering all those timers.

Thoughts?

I had to do a reboot last week for the first time on my HWS. When it came back up, it took about 5 minutes for the timers to show up. I'm glad we have the remote backup option as I was about to restore them when they started returning.

Sure beats the old days of writing them down and having to re-do each one 1x1.

voripteth:

You cannot set timers until the schedule is loaded. It takes some time after a reboot to start loading the timers.
The best you can do is display the schedule and (an old 722 and earlier trick) advance several day to push for the schedule loading.

Is Family Room the Hopper or if a Joey, could it have been canceled elsewhere?

-Ken

I have no Joey units so there is no chance it was cancelled elsewhere. I'm curious what can create that "Cancelled by" message if there isn't a user actively marking an event as "skip". I'm certain that I restored the event to catch the second showing and then used the DVR to watch something else. That restored event was what showed as 'Cancelled by Family Room".

I did find it interesting that once the timers did reload that the Hopper did schedule an event for the 3rd showing automatically.

I have since backed up my timers into my remote. I'm watching for any other weirdness but so far the Hopper looks to be behaving itself.

Yeah this happened to me after a reboot. I got that oh Sh!! feeling, then they popped back in there. It just takes a few like they said. Not sure on the cancelled message.

How do you backup your timers and settings into the remote?

I would back everything up on an EHD and your timers and settings into the remote to be safe. But then I would just monitor it and if it keeps happening you may want a replacement.

I think it was mentioned previously that the backup to remote also occurs automatically at a particular interval (weekly?).

They do need to be nearby and a clear line of sight will likely do better but as it is RF, LOS is not required.
Good batteries are required. You can check that with menu+menu.
-Ken

Had a power failure this afternoon. After power came back the ota module on pmr pf y HWS's did see the ota module. Disconnected it then reconnected. Now it sees the module. But the daily schedule is there but future timers are missing. Hopefuly they will reappear overnight.

Update

Did a restore from the remote and after a couple of minutes and a reboot, everything seems back to normal. I hope.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts