61.5 down? Anyone else?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
As of 0645 this morning, I have abysmal to no signal on several transponders on 61.5. I can't find the latest "home transponders" to check, so I just checked the ones I've used in the past.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yes; very strange! I tuned to 26 (DC's PBS) and it was fine. I tuned to 9 (DC's CBS), and it was fine as well. When I went to check the signal strength (menu 6-1-1) it was ZERO. Then I could no longer receive channel 9. What the heck?

They is definitely something abnormal with my DC transponder, though. If I'm looking at a black screen after checking the SS, and then go to the OTA antenna and back again, I get a black screen and no sound. But if I tune to another OTA channel (I tried 7 and then 5) and then arrow down to the satellite channel equivalent, it's fine again until I check the SS, and then it's gone again. I'm using a 722.

Are you in TX?

Last edited:
I'm seeing good SS (above 50) on all transponders below 18. Well, 16 is only showing 36... But all transponders above 17 are showing SS of either zero or one. I can't get any spotbeam transponders.

Scott, is your uplink computer working this morning? I suspect a failure at 61.5, though it could just be crappy firmware in my 722.

Huh. If I leave my SS screen on my spotbeam transponders (18 and 20) for 35 secs, they eventually lock. This is not normal behavior.

Last edited:
It's normal behavior for the spotbeam TPs to take longer to show up on the SS screen on the receivers. Maybe not 35 secs though. I checked SS on my EA dish last night and all was normal, mid-high 50s on 61.5/72.7 and low 70s on 77. Next chance I get I'll check again today but TV was working fine this morning for me on EA. My WA dish pulled in mid-high 60s for 129, high 70s for 110, mid-high 80s for 119 last night.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

It's normal behavior for the spotbeam TPs to take longer to show up on the SS screen on the receivers. Maybe not 35 secs though.

Right. In over 10 years of Dish and quite a few (8?) with my 722, I have never before had it take so long to lock a spotbeam transponder, and never before when I return to the channel is that channel black.

Edited to add: If I make the channel go dark by checking the SS, and then immediately cancel out back to the channel, it remains AWOL for about 35 secs and then it's back.

Edited to add further: I can duplicate this behavior on my 612, only the delay to lock a spotbeam transponder is more like 15 secs, not 35. This is not normal. If you're watching a local channel and obviously locked onto a transponder, there is no need for it to disappear when you check the SS. It's already locked for crying out loud! Why introduce this new delay?

Last edited:
Just checked my EA spotbeam. Getting locked EchoStar 61.5 West. Channel works and there's no slow issues.

No SS issues on the home TPs of any of the three EA sats.

Last edited:
Still have the gratuitous blank for 35 secs on my 722 as of 5 minutes ago for the DC locals after checking SS. Problem persisted even after a warm reboot. (I locked it up completely by trying the Dish button and saying "Yes" to the offer to download. Don't know how long that one has been broken...)

Where are you 3Halo? "Earth" lacks specificity.

Last edited:
The Dish Home app has been quite slow to load (black screen) for a while now. It does eventually load after about 30 secs or so.

EDIT: I am in the suburbs of Birmingham, AL.

Last edited:
I have noticed the long time to lock on spotbeams on 61.5 ever since they replaced the satellite with E16.

I'm in the Chicagoland market, EA, 722k DVR, & never checked spotbeams until a few months ago. But when I did/do they all seem to take anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds. Yet when changing channels there is no appreciable delay.

I don't know if this is related, but going back several months ago when I looked at System Info the screen displayed Green squares for 77 & 72, but either Yellow or Red for 61.5. A tech came out said it was an LNB problem & installed a new one, but it made no difference. He looked at Check Switch & SS & everything was OK, but had no explanation why I had Yellow or Red for 61.5.

My friend about 20 miles away with the same setup (722k, EA) still gets all 3 Green, yet some of his SS are lower than mine. However my neighbor (EA but a receiver only) got Yellow for 61.5 when I went over there checked.

Short story, another Tech came out & said the Yellow or Red in System Info for 61.5 did not mean anything.

A third tech said this was not normal & tweaked the Dish alignment but it made no difference. He suggested changing to the 1000.2 Dish & LNB which only uses 72 & 61.5 since there is nothing on 77 that I subscribe to. He proceeded to change the Dish. While the individual SS went up slightly, System Info still shows Yellow or Red for 61.5, and it still takes up to about 30 seconds for spotbeams to lock. But again there is no appreciable delay changing local channels (only 1 or 2 seconds).

So far there is no explanation why System Info shows Yellow or Red for 61.5 or why the spotbeams take so long to lock.

I'm in the Chicagoland market, EA, 722k DVR, & never checked spotbeams until a few months ago. But when I did/do they all seem to take anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds. Yet when changing channels there is no appreciable delay.

I don't know if this is related, but going back several months ago when I looked at System Info the screen displayed Green squares for 77 & 72, but either Yellow or Red for 61.5. A tech came out said it was an LNB problem & installed a new one, but it made no difference. He looked at Check Switch & SS & everything was OK, but had no explanation why I had Yellow or Red for 61.5.

My friend about 20 miles away with the same setup (722k, EA) still gets all 3 Green, yet some of his SS are lower than mine. However my neighbor (EA but a receiver only) got Yellow for 61.5 when I went over there checked.

Short story, another Tech came out & said the Yellow or Red in System Info for 61.5 did not mean anything.

A third tech said this was not normal & tweaked the Dish alignment but it made no difference. He suggested changing to the 1000.2 Dish & LNB which only uses 72 & 61.5 since there is nothing on 77 that I subscribe to. He proceeded to change the Dish. While the individual SS went up slightly, System Info still shows Yellow or Red for 61.5, and it still takes up to about 30 seconds for spotbeams to lock. But again there is no appreciable delay changing local channels (only 1 or 2 seconds).

So far there is no explanation why System Info shows Yellow or Red for 61.5 or why the spotbeams take so long to lock.
There shouldn't be any red and yellow for a system unless you are on a transponder that isn't aimed at your area. If you have either of those colors for the spotbeam that is for your area you have too little signal. My system is slow to lock on the point dish screen but once it does I have 75. It has no problems and isn't slow to change channels for my locals. They are about the only thing I get off of that bird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts